Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Karnageddon
Doh!

Painting Metallics

Hello,
I was planning on using metallic paints for my next project, specifically Sargent Metallic Acrylics. My issue is that the only place I can get them from around here does not carry colors besides the gold, bronze and silver's.
Am I able to mix these metallic acrylics with acrylic paints to change the hue? e.g. mixing cadmium blue (Liquitex heavy body) with copper (sargent metallic acrylics).

I'm still not familiar with all the options for giving clay sculptures a metallic look and I'm finding it difficult to locate information online. Are there any other options that may be better in this case?
Karnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

i use Tamiya Chrome Silver as my main metallic color and also the Tamiya Titanium Gold.

When i want a metallic color i mix in the silver with it. I have used it with Createx Pearls, Solids, other Tamiya solids etc....

So you can mix and match to get the look you want.

If you want super brighter metallic look like the sideshow Rogue AH statue or he Bowen Iron Fitst FS Red or Green. I use Tamiya Chrome Silver and then candy coat, meaning i use Tamiya Clear colors over that. Just have to be even or over spraying in areas with make it darker etc.. But with this process one major mess up you have to start over, not easy at all to patch it up.

Then there is pearlized colors that are not as strong on the metallics, which give colors a sheen instead of metal look.

As for the paints you mentioned i never used them, but can prob do the same thing.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnageddon View Post
Hello,
I was planning on using metallic paints for my next project, specifically Sargent Metallic Acrylics. My issue is that the only place I can get them from around here does not carry colors besides the gold, bronze and silver's.
Am I able to mix these metallic acrylics with acrylic paints to change the hue? e.g. mixing cadmium blue (Liquitex heavy body) with copper (sargent metallic acrylics).

I'm still not familiar with all the options for giving clay sculptures a metallic look and I'm finding it difficult to locate information online. Are there any other options that may be better in this case?
You can mix metallic with acrylic paints as long as they are both water based or solvent based. Typically, the solvent based acrylic like Tamiya paint produces a more realistic metallic look. But the down side to the solven based paint are they are messy to work with and they are carcinogenic.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Check out the Raptor Sheen on this page. This place is all about metallic finishes.

http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/catalog/misc.htm
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Karnageddon
Doh!

Thanks guys, this information is really helpful so far.

I had another question though, how do I know what method will or will not have a negative reaction with baked clay?
I know for example, that spray paints cannot be used on clay since they will just sink through or wear off. I will be using super sculpey for the most part.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Super Sculpey will not absorb paint, or anything for that matter. Everything I've ever sculpted I've primed with spray paint, works like a charm. Acrylics and enamels both work fine on sculpey.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Karnageddon
Doh!

So out of curiosity, how would I be able to get a fully reflective chrome finish (not doing silver surfer) using enamel spray paint, rather than ending up with a diffused reflection?

I'm assuming I would have to sand down and polish the areas entirely before spraying them, but any specifications or guides (or better yet tutorials) that I can follow to achieve a mirrored chrome look?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Alcad paint is what ya want for chrome.

http://www.alclad2.com/
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Karnageddon
Doh!

Thanks Vince, thats actually a good option, but now I need to find someone close by that sells the 1oz option rather than the 4oz.

I was actually trying to go for a similar look you have used on your green lantern here

I'm trying to get the same effect you have on the lantern itself, Fallen One's costume below that and your series of "-Vell" themed busts all have that effect as well. I wanted to do exactly that for the colored chrome areas that will mirror the surroundings.
Would you mind sharing your process and supplies for achieving that look in different hues etc? (I understand if not)

Maybe I'm over-complicating things but painting is not one of my strongest areas and I fail to understand the compatibility between different types of bases used in paints.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

For that green lanter bust its simple.

Tamiya Chrome Silver as a base coat, and then i use Tamiya Clear Green over that (or Red for the CapMarvels).

very easy to do, just a matter of learning how to thin the Tamiya clears with Tamiya Thinner (just a few drops) and coat it evenly. Sorta like how hey paint cars, going up and down or side to side making it even. If you over spray in one area, that gets dark and the others wont. With a statue its sorta harder cause nothing is flat like a car.

The blues on the CapMarvels is just Createx Pearlized Blue straight out of the bottle, with darken areas of Badger blue and black.

Fallen one was a mix of misted Pearlized and Metallics from Createx Pearls and Tamiya Chromed paints.

These dont give a mirror finish like alclad will, but gives a nice metallic effect.

Everything is then clear coated with Future floor polish to give it that gloss shine.

I dont use any paint except acrylics for a number of reasons. I live in a apartment and dont want he fumes going all over the place using oils or enamels and acrylics are easier to clean up.

So the types of paints i guy are Tamiya, Createx, Badger, Freestyle and some others i cant remember atm.

Hope that helps.