Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Comicbookguy
Hercules

How much have you spent on statues so far?

Hi I was wondering with the prices for these statues they add up really fast. It's an expensive hobby to only people who has extra money to spend. But then people who buy just about every statue that comes out. Some even buys all the variants. Just curious how do you keep a budget for all those? Or do some people here are just super rich lol.

Last edited by Rocket; 02-21-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I'm not wealthy by any means and I do plan accordingly. With Sideshow, I use their Flex Pay plan which has become easier to manage with their new system.

Kotobukiya's prices on their bishoujo line are fairly affordable if one purchases the statues when its recently distributed and not wait until it gets suddenly sold out and then pay double or triple the price. I feel for those who are late in the game because there are still some Marvel/DC bishoujo statues that are sold out and the prices get higher and higher.

The only bishoujo variant that I do not have is the Rogue long coat version. I feel that there isn't much of a difference for me to purchase it. Its the same pose, outfit, and hair and the only difference is the coats. I prefer the short coat version that I own because that is what she wore in the comics in the 90's.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Doc4LC
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quite a bit, but it has been over the course of months and years. Granted I don't have nearly the impressive collection as many others here do. I pretty much just pick up the pieces I really like, if it matches my budget. It's easy to go overboard especially if you are a completionist starting a line of statues late.
Doc4LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Artsta
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I just sit on the money. If I know something I want will be coming out in a few months (Like Liara) I just save up $60, place it in my Savings and when the time comes I buy it. Which is easy to do when you have a few months notice. I take like $20 from each check and within' 3 weeks bang I've got $60 for my next purchase.

My theory is after all my bills are paid the extra I have left over is for me to either save or have some fun with.
Artsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

More than I wish to think about.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=111865
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
dechirico7
The Flash

Well, this year I have the following on order: (This is just what I have on pre-order so far for this year.)
Bowen X-23 $184
Bowen Classic Storm $183.99
Bowen Mohawk Storm $184
Bowen X-Force X-23 $184
GG Sucker Punch Sweet Pea $214.99
GG Sucker Punch Rocket $214.99
GG Sucker Punch Blondie $259.99

SS Lara PF Ex $349.99
SS Vampirella PF Ex $349.99
SS Joker PF Ex $349.99
Koto Magneto Statue
X-23 Bishoujo $49.99 Purchased
Elektra Bishoujo $49.99
Mystique Bishoujo $49.99 Purchased
Poison Ivy Bishoujo $49.99 Purchased
Black Batgirl Bishoujo $49.99 Purchased
Power Girl Bishoujo $49.99
Classic Storm Bishoujo $49.99
Gray Black Widow Bishoujo $49.99

Tim Miller's Zombie Gurl Kit $175 Purchased

I don't even want to add that up. Makes me want to scream "DOH!" And I wanted to take it easy this year. I have been showing way more control than I used to. When I started this hobby, I wanted to purchase every female statue made, but the appeal of female characters caught on and companies started to push as many of them as the male characters. I typically don't buy many Bowen statues, but they just happened to do two of my favorite characters this year. And I am sooooo far from rich. I think the only reason I can afford these statues is because I am single and live in a cheap apartment. Also, most of my statues this year have been paid for with the sales of other statues. I also won an exclusive Lion-O statue that I sold. I will use that money to help with future pre-orders.

The items in gray are the statues already purchased/payed for. The ones in green I could possibly push and purchase later, if I get overwhelmed. Statues are becoming less and less limited, so it is easy to push them, if needed, to a later date. I might also cut some from my list, like the Elektra and Black Widow bishoujos. I am not a fan of either character.

I guess my advice is to focus on the bishoujos you like, don't focus on being a completest. Especially, when you are late to the line. Why pay the insane price for the White Phoenix bishoujo when you can get the regular or Dark Phoenix for reasonable prices? Same goes for the Long Coat Rogue or Blonde Black Widow. I don't see the point since they are the same, just slight variants. Also, keep track of your pre-orders and their release dates. After this year my purchases are going to slow way down, mostly due to space, I look forward to the break.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEYE View Post
More than I wish to think about.
that is the correct answer

I personally don't have a HUGE collection of statues. Only currently own: 3 Sideshow PF's/comiquettes, 3 Hot Toys, 6 Batman Black & White, 5 DC Bishoujo

that sums up my current collection which is rather tiny (compared to most)...but I do have quite a few action figures which I'm in the process of selling off right now. Probably spent a few thousand on them over the years and likely never would have had the shelf space to display them nor the storage to let them sit around and gather dust so they were pretty much a waste of money

i currently have 9 other pieces coming in this year ranging from $60 pieces to $650 pieces (the sideshow 1:1 Batman bust)

just have to plan to have the money when they come out (and clearing it with the fiancee usually helps ). Overall as long as you don't buy everything you see you'll be fine. I think way too many people just buy it all just to have...just never seen the appeal in that. Pick a few lines to collect (or even just 1 and stick with it). I'm not venturing away from Marvel/DC (aside from the Jack Sparrow HT figure) so its easy for me to stay focused and not feel the need to buy everything
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

This is what I ordered for this year:
-Modern Wasp (Bowen)
-Punk Storm (Bowen)
-Punk Storm comiquette Exclusive (Sideshow - getting my bricks ready for the stones that are going to be thrown at me!)
-Psylocke PF Exclusive
-Gambit LSB Exclusive
-Ms. Marvel bust (Bowen)

What I purchased this year and have on display in my home:
-Superman Exclusive (Hot Toys - exquisite piece!)
-Mystique bishoujo
-Supergirl (Cover Girls)
-Batgirl (Cover Girls)
-Starfire (Cover Girls)
-Harley Quinn (DCUO line - I actually liked how this statue came out)
-Batgirl bishoujo (black version)
-Yelena Fedorova (Square Enix-Deux EX Human Revolution)
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Wow some of these collection can be the same price as a car or small house. Props to everyone who can afford to keep going. I only collect the Bishoujos and its a challenge to just get the older ones. The new ones I don't mind too much for 50-60.00ea. They are coming out so fast now. Theres game characters and soon male characters too. Its going to be an expensive but fun ride for sure. I don't even know how some of you collect those 200.00 to 300.00 statues. And that's only for 1 statue. That would be my car repairs for that month lol. I still hope they make some 1/7 scale marvel / dc male superheroes. I will gladly buy those.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Wow some of these collection can be the same price as a car or small house. Props to everyone who can afford to keep going. I only collect the Bishoujos and its a challenge to just get the older ones. The new ones I don't mind too much for 50-60.00ea. They are coming out so fast now. Theres game characters and soon male characters too. Its going to be an expensive but fun ride for sure. I don't even know how some of you collect those 200.00 to 300.00 statues. And that's only for 1 statue. That would be my car repairs for that month lol. I still hope they make some 1/7 scale marvel / dc male superheroes. I will gladly buy those.
well its all about choosing your purchases. I like some of the smaller statues but most of the time I'd rather not buy 4-5 of the smaller statues and instead get a larger one.

As for the BIG purchases (for me at least) which are the 1:1 busts, all the money I've made from selling action figures I put towards these purchases. So far I've pretty much paid off the Captain America and Batman 1:1's...I'll be selling more to get cash towards the Daredevil 1:1 as well
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote