Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 06-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Smile What is a Kotobukiya GRAIL to you??? Share yours with the whole world!!!

Everybody has an opinion on what a "Grail Piece" is, or what it should be. But what do you think??
Feel free to express your opinion and to post proudly your Kotobukiya Grail photos.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

So far in the few years Koto has been around producing comic statues I don't think they have a true "grail" piece yet. Right now I think the closest to becoming grail pieces are:

1) Avengers Reborn: Captain America - I think this is my favorite Captain America statue out there! I think it's underrated because it's Koto, but I've seen it on eBay for upwards in the $400+ range!? I just love the full detail on this sucker...from the chain mail all the way down to the boots! The switch out head is cool too:

Hellsbells51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

You are right in your assessment of Koto and the Grail status on its pieces. I'm sure that we will get there very soon.
I love your pics on cap!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

2) X-Men Danger Room Sessions: Wolverine. I think this is the perfect Wolverine statue! The mask, claws and facial expression are keys for me in judging a Wolverine statue and Erick brought the aggression of Wolverine to life! The mask isn't overly done like I've seen on many Sideshow pieces. I love the blade style claws and Erick didn't overdo it in length or thickness. I've seen some representations of Wolverine with thick blades that look like butcher knives!? His body frame was dead on as well and not too many statue producers captured this as well as Erick did. His short muscled stocky body frame well represented his rage and attack form.

Now, it does have some flaws...like the abdominal area is kind of rocky and crumpled looking. The back is a little too muscled, but not a big concern to me.

All in all, THIS is Wolverine! I've seen this on eBay go for $400+ as well...so much like the Cap statue, it does have respect in the aftermarket.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

I think the runner's up to the gems listed above are:

- X-Men Danger Room Sessions: Psylocke

One of the best bases out there and perfect Jim Lee Psylocke representation!

- X-Men Danger Room Sessions: Magneto

This is still a new statue, but it will be one of Koto's best! Erick nailed Magneto to perfection (even the COH sculpt)! The paint job is Koto's best and caught the attention of collectors of other companies. Koto might not know this, but this might be the turning point of the company as it raised the bar with it's paint apps and turned many people on to the company.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
zapped havok
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I was lucky enough that someone who went to sdcc picked me up a white bishoujo phoenix and posted to me here in the UK.

zapped havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I like your opinion on this matter Hellsbells51, and your great selection. I agree with you 100%. What is your opinion on the original deadpool?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapped havok View Post
I was lucky enough that someone who went to sdcc picked me up a white bishoujo phoenix and posted to me here in the UK.

Some of the bishoujo girls are really hard to get, even here in the US. I have seen a few for really outrageous prices on eBay.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
You are right in your assessment of Koto and the Grail status on its pieces. I'm sure that we will get there very soon.
I love your pics on cap!!!
Wish I had a better camera, but thank you!

Most grails require something extra than just a perfect representation of a character IMO. Take for example Sideshow's PF Dr Doom EX (highly detailed throne), Sideshow X-Men dio #1 Colossus/Cyclops vs Sentinel EX (Sentinel head / light up features), Bowen retro Cable (Sentinel head base / low ES). They all have that added element to not just the character, but all around. So once Koto does that, then there's your grail!

I do see one that has those elements...so here is your future grail Koto:

Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I saw this statue and left me speechless. Definitely this is a future grail piece.