Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Underdog07
Hercules

How does USPS shipping work?

I have been pondering this question since yesterday when I shipped a package via what used to be called parcel post instead of the more expensive priority level. The package is going approximately 21 miles and the estimated shipping time is 4-5 days. My questions is what are they going to so with it for 4-5 days.

Even in the most delayed scenario I can think of it would only be 3 days -- 1 day to put it on a truck, 1 day for the truck to drive the 21 miles; 1 day to deliver it. Of course those time frames seem ludicrous to me. Its as if these time frames are arbitrary and designed to steer you to shipping everything priority. I wonder - do they just put non-priority packages in a corner and after a given amount of time ship them in the same fashion as priority packages?

any thoughts or experiences on this?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Are you asking if they purposely delay parcel/standard shipping? It depends on their volume. Did you have them give you a price for Priority vs parcel/standard? Usually if it's in say 100 miles the cost difference is about $1.
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmic View Post
Are you asking if they purposely delay parcel/standard shipping? It depends on their volume. Did you have them give you a price for Priority vs parcel/standard? Usually if it's in say 100 miles the cost difference is about $1.

Big and heavy box - with the surcharge the difference was nearly double $27 v $50ish
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Frankierock
Omega Red

They will ship it faster They will not hold it unless they are overwhelmed with packages...Normally Priority goes first because it may need Air Travel, but since yours is all ground, it prob is already on it's way. They also do not tell you this because they would lose $$. If you knew it would ship faster would you even ask for Priority? In this case it's pretty much the same.
I just shipped something last week to Tex from NY, Parcel...took a total of 3 business days. Again it all has to do with the Volume the post office has.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
ComputerFly
The Phantom

The USPS 'tellers' are trained to try and get you to upgrade to priority by trying to scare you that your package won't arrive in time. I see it happen to customers every time I'm at the PO. They lost 16 Billion last year, so I can't blame them.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
The USPS 'tellers' are trained to try and get you to upgrade to priority by trying to scare you that your package won't arrive in time. I see it happen to customers every time I'm at the PO. They lost 16 Billion last year, so I can't blame them.
Can you imagine how much MORE they would be in the red if they DIDN'T do this!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I have been pondering this question since yesterday when I shipped a package via what used to be called parcel post instead of the more expensive priority level. The package is going approximately 21 miles and the estimated shipping time is 4-5 days. My questions is what are they going to so with it for 4-5 days.

Even in the most delayed scenario I can think of it would only be 3 days -- 1 day to put it on a truck, 1 day for the truck to drive the 21 miles; 1 day to deliver it. Of course those time frames seem ludicrous to me. Its as if these time frames are arbitrary and designed to steer you to shipping everything priority. I wonder - do they just put non-priority packages in a corner and after a given amount of time ship them in the same fashion as priority packages?

any thoughts or experiences on this?
Any wonder why the USPS is going broke?
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

USPS charges kooky surcharges for boxes larger than 12 inches.
I only use FedEx. Thankfully, the FedEx offices I've used have treated my packages well.

However, their overseas costs are the best.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Well, young William... when a package and a mailbox love each other very much...
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Well, young William... when a package and a mailbox love each other very much...
The stork brings them stamps