Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 12-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

HCG Predator Cutting Disc

First hand impressions and pictures coming soon...

EDIT:
Quick video posted here:

cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
thx217
Ultimates

Awesome! Bring on the picsss!

Glad to see our forum friends are now receiving more reviewing pieces.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Trilogy

Is this a production sample?
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
cap70

Dozens of pics and a "mini-review"(more pics than words, though! lol) coming really soon.
Tri, yup, this is a production piece.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap70 View Post
Dozens of pics and a "mini-review"(more pics than words, though! lol) coming really soon.
Tri, yup, this is a production piece.
I very much look forward to your review and photos.

Will we be seeing these up for sale any time soon?
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
batmanmike
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Waiting to see your pictures and review, cap!
batmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
aMaZe
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Well I for one am really looking forward to this. I wonder if us brits will get it first like we did with the bio helmet. Really looking forward to some more pics cap.
aMaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
cap70

Review

Thanks guys!
HCG recently sent me this piece to see what I thougth about it. I have to say that I'm not too found of making reviews(I'm a Photographer at heart, not a reviewer, and one that always found pictures to be the best way to desrcibe these things), but I felt that I should atleast take some pictures and post here so my good prop collectors could have an idea and feeling about this replica.
I always wanted to have this Predator weapon in my prop collection, so I was REALLY glad when I heard that finally someone was going to "really" do it and produced it. Icons got a shot at it, but it didn't see full production. Besides, it was made too small and without enough details. Not to count that only some saw the light of the day. There is/was some kits floating around but I never thought they were that great quality or accurate either. So my last hope was HCG. And boy, did they deliver with this prop! I was worried that since it was a flat replica with an open/close mechanism, it could feel kind of flimsy, but this is one rock solid performer!
These replicas(Hand and Disc) really feels solid as a rock(very important to me)! are extremelly well made and feels "metal heavy" when you hold it. It probably have a metal core(close to the open/close mechanism) that really make it feels like a "weapon". Heck, you could REALLY hurt someone with this thing! lol
Speaking of open/close mechanism, this is something that was also done extremelly well in this prop, and by well I mean "solid" and easy to operate. The Led light sequence are activated when you "open the disk"(check the video). You can see the "valves" opening and closing, very tight and precise. The battery compartment opens and close easy(battery cover held by magnets!).

Both the Disc AND hand were taken from original Stan Winston Studio's molds, so they are pretty accurate. You can see "veins" details on his pulse, and a "sculpted" leather glove that really looks like real leather up close. The hand is HUGE and detailed, and in my opinion the perfect place to display the disc. The whole display have a good weight to it, but at the same time it's not excessively heavy to make it's placement difficult in some shelves, cabinets and stands. It looks classy displayed alone, or next to your Predator arsenal. The million dollar question these days: "Does it fit on a Detolf?" lol YES it does!
The light effecst are -SICK-! I shoot a VERY quick video to show the light sequence, cause I'm afraid pictures wouldn't give a correct idea on how it works. This is probably the coolest "lighted" prop I have ever seen. It beats the MR Neuralyzer by a mile as far as "light coolness" factor is concerned(and that one was pretty cool!). Paint job are pretty nice too, this is a production sample, so that's exactly what you will get.
All in all, this is already one of my very favorite props. It's extremelly well made, accurate, cool and was a BLAST to photograph! If you are a fan of Predator and collect props, you will be glad and happy to get this one. I really wouldn't say this much about it if I was not impressed, or even make a "review".
Ah, and before someone says "So this replica doesn't have any flaw to you?"
Well, there is an obvious flaw: I have to send it back! lol

Well, enough talking, let's see some pictures(and a "quick" video too!)

Thanks for reading, and hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I did taking them.

C.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
cap70

Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
cap70