Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #1381
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Yes, (with a modern touch) or modern comic costumes. I just can’t figure out for the life of me why SS would make a comic WW, superman,joker, harley and from the looks of it ivy and then make a amalgamated stitched together batman from different sources knowing fans have been waiting 4-5 years for a fully sculpted comic batman which only makes more sense to make when you consider they just renewed their comic line

You look at any type of media featuring these characters, comics, cartoons, game, movies, even smaller scaled statues and its seen that the(line of) characters are consistent across the board(design wise). But SS who arguably has the most talented set of artists in the business are falling short and are inconsistent on the biggest characters…..It just boggles my mind what they’re thinking over at SS.

Checked the other forum and have been reading youtube comments and alot of the response is negative regarding this statue. After stepping away from it for a bit then coming back to look at photos allowed me to remove my bat blinders and realize that there isn’t much i actually like about the statue outside of the portrait and cape. Has an ok base, decent pose(hunch back from certain angles), terrible suit, terrible EX, and looks inconsistent with the others.
Yeah, there's no rhyme or reason with sideshow anymore. The new Trinity doesn't fit well together. Especially Batman because that PF is clearly a Arkham Asylum/Origins mash up. However, you have to keep in mind what Igo said when they debuted WW on sideshow live. He said that the original concept for WW was very different. DC's approval process forced sideshow to walk back that PF to what we see today. So, even though WW turned out great and comic inspired, that wasn't the original look sideshow intended for the PF.

No one knows what we'll get with future releases. There's no consistency within the Marvel or DC lineups. It's all a crap shoot now. Good luck getting your proper Batman PF. I'm still waiting for another classic Cap PF. Keep in mind the last one was released 10 yeras ago and my wait continues.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #1382
Mister H
Gen 13

I think crap shoot is an accurate way to describe the SS process. Maybe someday I’ll that Bats and Cap that I want.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #1383
FJC
Midnighter

I hope you do Mister H. That'll most likely mean that I'll at least have that classic Cap PF I'm still waiting for.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #1384
COI

Having the best artists might entail letting those artists express themselves to some extent and take some chances. But that's exactly what they are - chances - and sometimes they don't work out or just aren't received well.

I don't know. Maybe their choices are random, or maybe there's more to the picture we aren't seeing regarding what their artists want to do, what licencors want, etc.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #1385
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
That's not necessarily the case. I'll use myself as an example. I'm in dire need of a classic Cap. Yes, sideshow's OG Cap PF is out there in the aftermarket. However, keep in mind it was released 10 years ago. Many collectors missed out on it and it now sells for over a G and that's just for the REG. Not many collectors want to drop that kind of coin on a classic 1/4 Cap.

My story is a bit different. I actually passed on the OG Cap PF when it went up for PO. While I loved the sculpt and classic costume, I absolutely hated the cheesy PJ looking cloth they used on the PF. Top that off with the spanks looking shorts he had on and I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Well, who would've thought a character as popular as Cap wouldn't be revisited in his classic costume by sideshow over the past 10 years (and counting)? There are also collectors who flat out just don't like the OG Cap PF for whatever reasons. What are their options? Sideshow also has 1/4 Marvel and DC statues locked down in North America. That just further complicates matters. Anyway, I just mentioned this because for some collectors, the choices aren't as clear cut as it may seem.
I hear you, but they have done 3 versions in that time. Not liking a statue is one thing and not wanting to pay the going rate can sucks but I would hate to see them revisiting the same characters in the same costumes over and over. I feel like if the initial release is a classic version the artistic takes would be more understandable.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #1386
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I hear you, but they have done 3 versions in that time. Not liking a statue is one thing and not wanting to pay the going rate can suck but I would hate to see them revisiting the same characters in the same costumes over and over. I feel like if the initial release is a classic version the artistic takes would be more understandable.
They have done many different versions of Cap over the decade. None were another classic version though. To be fair, I completely understand that sideshow will do different versions of a character when they revisit one. However, I believe certain characters deserve to have more than one classic version made of them. Characters that are super popular (Cap, Spidey, HULK, Bats, Supes) can easily be revisited in classic costumes and sell out. I'm not saying revisit these characters every year. However, I do think it's wise and profitable to revisit the popular characters every 5 to 7 years in classic form.

Spidey is a great example. The OG PF was released many years ago. It had his classic costume and 2 variants I believe. Then we had the OG 1/4 COM and the latest PF. This doesn't even take into account the 1/5 classic Spideys sideshow released. That's a lot of classic Spideys but you don't hear many complaints because there's always demand for classic Spidey. Even with all those classic Spideys released, sideshow was able to do other versions of the character. That said, classic Spidey is where it will always be at for the character and most collectors. I feel Cap falls into the same category (as do all of the most popular superheroes and villains for Marvel and DC). He (along with the other big guns of Marvel and DC) easily deserve more than one classic PF over a decade and counting. Randy Bowen was a master at this. He constantly revisited the big hitters while giving us plenty of lesser known Marvel characters. I'm not saying sideshow needs to revisit the big hitters as often as Randy did but it wouldn't hurt to do so every once in a while. That's my take on the subject anyway.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #1387
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Having the best artists might entail letting those artists express themselves to some extent and take some chances. But that's exactly what they are - chances - and sometimes they don't work out or just aren't received well.

I don't know. Maybe their choices are random, or maybe there's more to the picture we aren't seeing regarding what their artists want to do, what licencors want, etc.
All I know is that before Deathstroker, every DC PF was released in a version of their classic costumes. Now, it's anyone's guess as to what we'll be getting. The same thing is going on with their Marvel PFs of late (since Thanos I believe). I find it hard to believe this modernization/made up costume movement is random or unplanned. Sideshowified PFs started appearing around the same time in both the Marvel and DC PF line. That can't be a coincidence.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #1388
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Sideshow has some behind the scenes stuff up for this one. I must say more respect for what they are trying to do here and this is a good move to help collectors understand their vision.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/beh...format-figure/

This is a really cool idea that explains a lot here...

I still wont pick this up but much respect!
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #1389
FJC
Midnighter

Yeah, it's a pass for me too. Never thought I'd pass on a Canale Batman. I absolutely LOVE his work but this Bats PF just doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #1390
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Yeah, it's a pass for me too. Never thought I'd pass on a Canale Batman. I absolutely LOVE his work but this Bats PF just doesn't do it for me.
Better footage and photos at SDCC18 will be the deciding factor for me, but right now its not looking good.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote