Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #361
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The fact that they're standalone narratives is enough for me. The crawl and by extension how it fades into the opening sequence is something that sets the SW films apart from other movies. I'd like to see the tradition continue with the Anthology features.
The key word for me is tradition. You don't need me to tell you that Rogue One is a Star Wars movie. How can it not be with Darth Vader in it? Consequently it doesn't need to have the crawl to feel like a Star Wars movie. But I wholeheartedly agree that the crawl should be included if nothing more than to keep the unique tradition going.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #362
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The crawl and by extension how it fades into the opening sequence is something that sets the SW films apart from other movies.

I'd like to see the tradition continue with the Anthology features. Now if you want to make the crawl a bit different, I'm all for that
I do understand your definition here with the use of "tradition" even though we are talking about a completely new venture of anthologies that expand rather than require necessary viewing --in other words, you can understand the trilogies just fine, without these additional side ventures.

That being said, this would then be considered a new "tradition" in a sense, therefore, a perfect opportunity to "brand" it as it's own, including a different introduction --establishing a clear sense that we are dealing with something entirely new, different, yet familiar.

The crawl would almost be TOO familiar in association to the main "Episodes".

And I think that's the whole point of this debate, going on at LucasFilm --do we want to make this "different" ?
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #363
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
Every Star Wars game has had the crawl....
Star Wars Old Republic intro DID NOT feature the crawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk

Neither did Battlefront

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzOFlKEraCU
Old 06-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #364
Towelie
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Star Wars Old Republic intro DID NOT feature the crawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk

Neither did Battlefront

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzOFlKEraCU
When you choose your class in Star Wars the Old Republic it does the crawl.

Haven't played battlefront yet...
Towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:29 AM   #365
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

For those thinking that if Rogue One does not have a crawl that it won't feel like Star Wars, what about the score provided by Alexandre Desplat and not John Williams? I think Williams music a signature of the emotion and feel of Star Wars, more than the crawl. But I am ok with Rogue One having someone else score.

And I am ok with no crawl if the story doesn't need that exposition device. Are we going to hogtie directors of the anthology movies (A Star Wars Story is still stupid to me) by not allowing flashbacks because none of the Saga films use that exposition device (Rey's vision doesn't count as it serves no exposition purpose)?
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 AM   #366
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

This opens a whole can of worms as to what is and isn't Star Wars, what does and doesn't feel like Star Wars.

Do we do the crawl or don't we? And if we don't, then do we also not play the Star Wars theme? We should, It is a Star Wars story after all.

Speaking for myself I want the crawl and the Star Wars theme, but obviously no episode #. If it doesn't have either thing I will be fine with those being exclusive to the Skywalkers Saga.

I feel the theme and crawl are what would tie these films together. It would be like a 007 film without the theme and gun barrel opening. Personally I don't care as much if animated films/shows, video games, comic books, novels etc. etc. don't have the crawl and theme. For me the films are the main thing, that is where I care to see those things.

As for the crawl itself it's current events not a history lesson, so basically let me know what is going on right now and what I'm walking into. No more, no less.

I'm interested to see what Desplatt brings to his score, and I won't necessarily miss John Williams during this because I want a different experience than in a saga film.

I'm just excited for this film regardless. As an O.G. Star Wars fan I never thought I'd see the day we'd be debating whether or not to put an opening crawl in a Star Wars film, let alone getting a non-Saga Star Wars film.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #367
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
And I am ok with no crawl if the story doesn't need that exposition device. Are we going to hogtie directors of the anthology movies (A Star Wars Story is still stupid to me) by not allowing flashbacks because none of the Saga films use that exposition device (Rey's vision doesn't count as it serves no exposition purpose)?
I think the audience is smart enough to put the pieces together considering this is a fleshing out of characters we are familiar with. No need to rely on flash backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post

I feel the theme and crawl are what would tie these films together. It would be like a 007 film without the theme and gun barrel opening. For me the films are the main thing, that is where I care to see those things.

I won't necessarily miss John Williams during this because I want a different experience than in a saga film.
Your last point is why I think they are debating about the crawl. By omission, it will begin differently, thus inviting the audience to figure it out along with the characters...without context --aside from being in this "pre-OT" universe.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #368
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

New Poster Reveal

Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #369
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Behind The Scenes Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUb_zpdyDpU
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #370
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

New trailer played at the end of the panel, it will premiere tonight during the Star Wars special on ABC.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote