Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #51
Royd
Producer
Producer

Thanks for kind words regarding the piece by Mark - it was a real departure from him considering that his normal jobs are lobby posters for Lucasfilm

As for Ash, it's unlikely that he'll do anything detailed but he may do a "quickie" sketch. That said, there's no harm in asking because he may find he has time and could just say "why not?". Worth a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
That's a killer piece Royd... I hadn't heard of Mark Raats before but he did a really awesome job on that piece.

Sorry if you answered this question earlier in the thread, do you know if Ashley Wood is going to sketch at Supanova Adelaide? Would be great to add to my growing Dredd collection
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #52
halfthai
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Just a random collection question for you guys on here...

When you commission a sketch, do you have a favourite character that you request from everybody or do you request something different that may be unique and represent that person as an artist.

e.g. Phil Jimenez Wonder Woman or Herb Trimpe Wolverine etc etc.

As much as I am a huge Magneto fan, I tend to either go with something I think defines the artist, or something kooky all together (like Nicola Scott drawing The Tick!)
I love Magneto too, but don't really ask for much of him nowadays. I probably have too many and I hate comparing them 'cause one is always "the best", which wouldn't happen if they were of different characters. I also usually don't like asking for a main character that an artist is famous for, 'cause I'm worried they might just go into autopilot and just bash it out. Totally agree with Woody on only picking characters that appeals to me and that I have a personal connection to.

I think that's what drawn me to an Alphabet themed sketchbook, that's forced me to pick different characters and think a bit outside the box. I usually ask the artist if they have a favourite to represent the letters available, if not I have some back up suggestions (with reference) to make it easier. When Phil Jimenez wanted to draw the Hellions team in my book 'cause he loved them I was really excited to see him sketch it out and his interest in doing those characters really showed.
halfthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #53
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfthai View Post
I also usually don't like asking for a main character that an artist is famous for, 'cause I'm worried they might just go into autopilot and just bash it out.
You make an excellent point there about the autopilot thing, its something i've never really thought about until your brought it up.

I'm loving hearing other peoples methods and thoughts behind their sketches and I do like the idea of a themed sketchbook... maybe that will be my next project.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #54
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

have fun everyone kicking off in Brisbane today !!!
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #55
Royd
Producer
Producer

Supanova Brisbane was a LOT of fun and it was great to see Rod, Steph and family along with Song and other mates at the show!

The comics creator guests all said they enjoyed the show thoroughly and it was wonderful to spend some time with them at dinners etc.

My one acquisition from the show was a painted Shanna commission (set up much earlier) from Brisbane-based animation artist, James Brouwer (artist on The Deep graphic novels)!

It's a truly amazing piece to see and I would be delighted if my mates would check it out

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...t=111&UCat=111

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #56
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

LOVELY Shanna piece Royd, it has that lush feel of a Disney animation classic. Wish James was coming to Adelaide!

Do you know how many pieces Leinil was able to get through? Any other info you have in preparation for Adelaide this weekend would be great.

Rod - did not realise you were going to Brissy, was expecting to see you in Adelaide. Will miss catching up, but on the plus side that's one less person I have to compete with for a Yu commission!

See you this weekend Royd, absolutely pumped!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #57
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Ryan,

Glad you like it! And, yes, it does have that Disney feel to it - a very charming piece

I saw at least 4 pieces (or 3 and a half including Emma, Medusa and Stargirl) pieces which Leinil created at the con but I believe he's working on 2 or 3 requests in the interval before Supanova Adelaide.

See you soon mate! Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
LOVELY Shanna piece Royd, it has that lush feel of a Disney animation classic. Wish James was coming to Adelaide!

Do you know how many pieces Leinil was able to get through? Any other info you have in preparation for Adelaide this weekend would be great.

Rod - did not realise you were going to Brissy, was expecting to see you in Adelaide. Will miss catching up, but on the plus side that's one less person I have to compete with for a Yu commission!

Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #58
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Great to have caught up with you too Royd! I know it was a bit busy and you were swamped trying to manage guests, so I appreciate the time spent chatting! Perhaps we'll get a bit more time this week during set up

Also, lovely new acquisitions!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #59
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Supanova Brisbane was a LOT of fun and it was great to see Rod, Steph and family along with Song and other mates at the show!

The comics creator guests all said they enjoyed the show thoroughly and it was wonderful to spend some time with them at dinners etc.

My one acquisition from the show was a painted Shanna commission (set up much earlier) from Brisbane-based animation artist, James Brouwer (artist on The Deep graphic novels)!

It's a truly amazing piece to see and I would be delighted if my mates would check it out

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...t=111&UCat=111

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #60
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Hey Ry!

Sorry mate, I thought I mentioned I was doing Brissy!

Steph's sister lives there and with her having not met Logan yet, it made sense to stay with her and her family and kill two birds...

As Royd mentioned Leinel got three pieces done over the course of the con weekend, though it should be noted that he only sketched for maybe two hours total at the con itself? He did an Emma for some guy () at his hotel, and touched it up a little at the con, did the Medusa (Allred Marvel Now version) at the hotel, and worked for a little while on the Stargirl on the Sunday..

I may be the bearer of bad news here, but one of the last things Leinel said to me when I did my farewells late Sunday was that he was planning not to sketch at all in Adelaide I REALLY hope he has, or will change his mind on that, I know you, and some other mates (Luke for instance) are hoping to hit him up. I know he's already got a full list to do during the week, including Alex's 11x17 with background $900 masterpiece, Royd, Dean (who you guys will see pick up his two pieces, Havok and Polaris in Adelaide as he's doing both cons) and two others....
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote