Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #101
El Pulento
The InJustice League

Viva la France!!! Good solid Game against Nigeria!!
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #102
El Pulento
The InJustice League

30 minutes to Kick off Gooo Germany!!!
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #103
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pulento View Post
30 minutes to Kick off Gooo Germany!!!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #104
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Greece had so many opportunities, just to lose at the shoot outs, dissapointing cause they had dominated the game.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #105
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
mexico did it to themselves ... they stopped playing.. whether the last call was a penalty or not mexico gave that opportunity to holland by staying on their side not wanting to play in fear of giving up a goal and what happened they still lost ... you simply cannot ride out the game by just defending and not attacking and expect to win ..

robben was looking for that penalty the whole game and it was bound to happen by mexico giving holland one opportunity after another by not counter attacking

mexico just doesnt have what it takes to win when it matters against tougher/better teams... germany brazil argentina columbia holland usa and any other team with common sense will never just stop attacking and just focus on defending just because their up 1-0

it was a good game and too bad for mexico but players make plays and they also create instances where the ref has to make a call .. thats sports in general

whether the ref makes a good or bad call thats another story and thats how the cards were dealt
I agree with you to a certain extend. I personally believe that Mexico has what I takes to win, but the inexperience of "piojo" Herrera as a World Cup coach was the decisive factor for their loss.

After the first goal, Van Gaal change the formation of the team from 4-4-2 to 3-4-3, making the team more aggressive to the attack. Even Van Persie was sent to the bench. The Dutch needed the result before the extra times because they knew that the heat and humidity would be factors that would play against them (Mexicans are more accostumed to the conditions). Herrera kept the same formation (maybe because he was forced to substitute the injured midfielder), and even took out Do Santos (the author of the goal) to bring a stronger but more defensive player. Also, Salsido was covering for Vasquez ( out due to accumulation of yellow cards) in the game. Vasquez was an excellent midfielder in the first elimination round, creating the plays that allowed Mexico to control the ball and to score against their rivals. Salsido is a very experience player, but more defensive on the midfield. The lack of offensive technical decisions at the end, cost my beloved national team to advance to the next round.

Regardless of the misfortune, I believe that Herrera is a great manager with a great future. But the truth is that Van Gaal was brilliant and more experienced for the situation. That is why he is a living legend of Dutch soccer, and the brand new coach of the Manchester United.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #106
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

**Double post.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #107
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Germans should be four or five nil up.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #108
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

C'mon the Swiss!!!

Cheat if you have too.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #109
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post
C'mon the Swiss!!!

Cheat if you have too.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #110
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Jesus, not a single post about the US/Belgium game yesterday?

Congrats to the Belgians -- they came to win. And would have probably done it quicker if Tim Howard wasn't such a beast. I felt horrible for him as we could all see him screaming at his D (oh wait, WHAT D) to help him.

Ugh Bradley....seriously....did he KNOW he was in the WC?

I am VERY interested to see the France/Germany game. Should be solid! Who's everybody got in that game?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote