Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #21
built2shred
Phoenix

I don't buy that, Gentle Giant has made 1:4 Marvel statues which you could order from shops like Spec Fiction or BBTS in the low $300's when SS was still charging around $500+

Not to mention the more statues you make with the same mold the cheaper the price on each unit, given SS is probably going to make 4000+ statues of DP the prices should be cheaper, also on SS website they have listed they are using PVC on some of the parts of this statue which should also drop the price down even more.

IMO of course

Now take XM statues with their Marvel and Star Wars license, putting shipping costs aside, there statues are in the mid $600's but come with a vault for a shipping box plus many switch outs.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #22
Thegameman2011
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Other companies don't have the overhead Sideshow has. All those licenses they have to pay for, fancy website, fancy offices/warehouse, returns policy, dedicated customer service, etc.
While this is true I do think that a company like PCS is doing a much better job of keeping longtime loyal customers in the game. Take a look at the 1/6 to 1/3 lines. Granted we have not seen in hand pics of their 1/6 line yet but the prototypes are just as beautiful and detailed as their most expensive line. I think that some collectors feel that sideshow is just pushing them away, especially those that have been with them from the beginning. There is always a better way and it's up to sideshow to determine how important there customer's loyalty is to them. Yes cost will go up but they are going up far faster for this company. Sideshow has some of the best creative artists in the business. It just takes a little creativity and effort on the business side to help slow down cost.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #23
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I don't buy that, Gentle Giant has made 1:4 Marvel statues which you could order from shops like Spec Fiction or BBTS in the low $300's when SS was still charging around $500+

Not to mention the more statues you make with the same mold the cheaper the price on each unit, given SS is probably going to make 4000+ statues of DP the prices should be cheaper, also on SS website they have listed they are using PVC on some of the parts of this statue which should also drop the price down even more.

IMO of course
Again, Gentle Giant and SS have different models, a different customer base, differences in overhead, customer service, distribution infrastructure, etc. All that stuff has to be paid for.

And also again, economies of scale isn't a concept that is applicable to luxury goods and collectibles, or rather, it's applicable to manufacturing costs but not to price. While producing more of a statue makes the cost per-unit go down for SS, why exactly would they pass that savings down to consumers proportionally? If they did that, pieces in the same product line (premium formats) would have wildly different price tags depending on the edition size.

Costs play a role for sure, but it's also about what the piece is and what it's potential popularity is. I do agree that the popularity of Deadpool probably bumped the price of this higher than it would otherwise have been. All of these things surely play a role.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #24
dafadcariad
Blue Falcon

As others have stated, it's not as simple as just claiming gouging. I do believe there's a very real premium put on Marvel pieces due to the licence. Add to that the noticeable price increase for what SS determine will be sought after pieces they can build a healthy ES off of and then you easily enter the realm of Groot and Deadpool pricing. As gutted as I am with the pricing I do understand it and congrattylations to anybody who PO'd this beautiful piece of art.

Also, just one last aside. I personally believe that these pieces do help to finance the production of lesser-known properties and original SS pieces so as frustrated as I am by the pricing I'm also thankful that this Deadpool helps to produce the far more affordable pieces like Hell Priestess, Huntress and the COTD line. Cheers to that silver lining!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post

IMO of course

Now take XM statues with their Marvel and Star Wars license, putting shipping costs aside, there statues are in the mid $600's but come with a vault for a shipping box plus many switch outs.
Which 1/4 scale Gentle Giant statue are you talking about? The Last thing I remember was Rocket and Groot and that was $450 and was PO'd what? 2014? Back when Sideshow was at $450? Before that was Cap Winter Soldier, $400. And what retail stores discount statues at doesn't make it the price.

Second, Jerry at PCS and IGO have both come out and said that the Factories are NOT decreasing prices for larger runs any more. They don't have to, there's enough Statue companies viaing for what few factories there are that they don't need to do that any more. So that's not even a factor.

Third, PVC only gets less expensive if the above isn't true, so no, again, not less expensive.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #26
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegameman2011 View Post
There is always a better way and it's up to sideshow to determine how important there customer's loyalty is to them. Yes cost will go up but they are going up far faster for this company. Sideshow has some of the best creative artists in the business. It just takes a little creativity and effort on the business side to help slow down cost.
I don't think customer loyalty is important to Sideshow. Your average collector flip flops from company to company looking for the characters they like produced in the scale they collect. The XM exodus for Marvel pieces is proof of that. The Gentle Giant rush to buy their Harbottle 1/4 items like Black Widow a while back was another. Sideshow knows collectors are not loyal to companies. They are loyal to their collections and will pay to fill those gaps of absent characters.

Sideshow has to pay for the top talent they employ. I am sure a Canale, Harbottle, Viggiano, Miller, etc. sculpts don't come cheap. For every reasonably priced item like their recent Ninja Turtles, Sideshow will pick certain pieces to maximize profits and test the next bump up in prices. They know 1/4 scale is king and they know people want a Deadpool. Here is where the crack dealer sees how strong the addiction is.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #27
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If you think they are too expensive then vote with your wallet and don't buy. These whining threads are getting old.
No your whining about whining threads is getting old
Old 11-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #28
Planeswalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Playing through the intercom at Sideshow now:

We're on easy street
And it feels so sweet
'Cause the world is 'bout a treat
When you're on easy street
And we're breaking out the good champagne
We're sitting pretty on the gravy train
And when we sing every sweet refrain repeats
Right here on easy street

It's our moment in the sun
And it's only just begun
It's time to have a little fun
We're inviting you to come and see why you should be
On easy street
Yeah, we got a front row seat
O, to a life that can't be beat
It's our moment in the sun
And it's only just begun
It's time to have a little fun
And we're inviting you to come and see why you should be
On easy street
Yeah, we got a front row seat
O, to a life that can't be beat

(Your welcome for getting that song stuck in your head again!)
Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #29
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Yeah, agreed. Just made the same point in the DP thread when someone mentioned that Blizzard piece.

You can't just go "Company A made X and charged Y, so SS is price gouging on Z". Different companies, different business models, different overhead. Statue to statue comparisons make sense as a consumer choosing what statue to buy for their collection, but it doesn't work when trying to compare what a company should or should not charge, or what constitutes price gouging.
Who can make that claim then? No one?
Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #30
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If you think they are too expensive then vote with your wallet and don't buy. These whining threads are getting old.
Closed Thread