Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 AM   #11
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Mines good.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #12
qz33
Doctor Doom

Great topic to give some though too though. We don't really know what the long term durability of a lot of these materials are.
Imagine having some of your collection look like this after 10-20 years.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #13
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemazing View Post
What are some things I should avoid to have these kinds of things happening?

some things I could come up with are:

1. avoid direct sunlight
2. avoid humidity by placing those absorbers near statue
3. keep it inside glass display to avoid dust/oil particles.

what else guys please?

thanks in advance
acrylic is more common then glass
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemazing View Post
What are some things I should avoid to have these kinds of things happening?

some things I could come up with are:

1. avoid direct sunlight
2. avoid humidity by placing those absorbers near statue
3. keep it inside glass display to avoid dust/oil particles.

what else guys please?

thanks in advance
The most important things to do to protect art is to avoid UV light, of course, but temperature and humidity fluctuations can do visible damage much sooner.

Keep temperature and humidity low, but also avoid fluctuations of more than 20°F in a 24 hour period.

That's why garages and attics are such horrible storage spaces.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Great topic to give some though too though. We don't really know what the long term durability of a lot of these materials are.
The truth is this industry has only existed since the early 90s. Thats about 25 years. So no one, anywhere, has any clue as to what will happen to these pieces in 50 years.

Its not like anyone has ever done the type of testing the auto industry does on its materials. There just isnt enough money to do that kind of research.

And heck, even then its not unusual for car interiors to start falling apart after a couple decades.

Ferrari has a known problem where the interior parts get sticky over time and have to be refinished. Usually about ~8 years after manufacture. And thats a $300k car.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Old Snake
Kindly Asked To Leave

Most of these statues will comfortably outlive us, if well cared for.

I recall when Sideshow had many of their Iron Man comiquette paint flake away.

I am seeing more discussion recently on Kenner Star Wars figures having their blister bubbles fall out inside their graded AFA cases, and several things that happen to the plastic from the figures, after 40 years.
Old Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
This stuff won't last. That's for all companies. Even houses fall apart after 20 years.

Ever looked at your grandparents knic-knack collection? I'm sure most of it has started to chip, crack or flake.

Time gets us all
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
Otter
Justice League

This was quite a distressing realisation for me. I've been collecting toys and comics since the early 90s, most of which has been stored in a garage in a subtropical climate. All of my comics over 5 years old have foxing. Many of my figures have become tacky/discoloured. It's disappointing that none of this stuff is made to last... but then you realise it's all designed for a moment, and to make money. It's we who delude ourselves into thinking it will stay in great shape until we're dead. No manufacturer makes that kind of claim.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Particularly if the piece isn't very old. Sorry to read about your statue.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
This was quite a distressing realisation for me. I've been collecting toys and comics since the early 90s, most of which has been stored in a garage in a subtropical climate. All of my comics over 5 years old have foxing. Many of my figures have become tacky/discoloured. It's disappointing that none of this stuff is made to last... but then you realise it's all designed for a moment, and to make money. It's we who delude ourselves into thinking it will stay in great shape until we're dead. No manufacturer makes that kind of claim.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Particularly if the piece isn't very old. Sorry to read about your statue.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #20
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post

I've had the glue on my SW POTF blister cards completely fail me on some of my 1995 stuff. I eventually just gave it all away
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote