Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-26-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Matisyahu /Reggae

Just discovered this guy as his latest single is now getting airplay.

For a hasidic jew , this guy sings some mean reggae!

Great video for his single, "King Without A Crown" on his site:

http://www.hasidicreggae.com/
Doc Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Not to be rude or offensive or anything...But I didn't know there were different types of jews?!?? What does hasidic mean? As opposed to when ppl just say jew? Just out of curiousity. I've been wanting to look that up.

So like he has to dress like that all the time on stage? They always play his King w/o a Crown live on the radio, and I like the beat and all, but it just makes me feel as though he's trying to say, "see you can still have fun and be jewish, and sing about your god". Really again not trying to be ignorant I just felt weird about it. There are some hebrew bits in there, right? Either that or I just can't tell what he's saying. Sorta reminds me of when some christian breakdancers performed for the Pope. I can imagine alot of non jewish fraternity college kids drinking beer at his shows for some reason, in my head. But yeah he can definitely sing some fast reggae and I like that song too.

Anyone else have the album? How's the rest of it?
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

As in most religions there are different sects. If you're interested in knowing the differences just google it.

If you read his bio on his website you'll see how he became what he is today.

I suppose in a way he is promoting his religion and although his garb is a way of life in his religion it could also be interpreted as part of his gimmick.

I believe the hebrew part of his song might be his name pronounced in Hebrew (which is Matthew in english).

With "religious" music I think you can look past the message and just enjoy the music and the talent of the individual . Or you can apply the lyrics and meaning to your own beliefs and feelings.

But without getting too analytical this is just a great reggae song by a talented singer. Enjoy it!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sonic
As in most religions there are different sects. If you're interested in knowing the differences just google it.

If you read his bio on his website you'll see how he became what he is today.

I suppose in a way he is promoting his religion and although his garb is a way of life in his religion it could also be interpreted as part of his gimmick.

I believe the hebrew part of his song might be his name pronounced in Hebrew (which is Matthew in english).

With "religious" music I think you can look past the message and just enjoy the music and the talent of the individual . Or you can apply the lyrics and meaning to your own beliefs and feelings.

But without getting too analytical this is just a great reggae song by a talented singer. Enjoy it!
I agree, and I did read his bio a while back. Religion aside it's pretty good music.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
J Storm
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sonic
Just discovered this guy as his latest single is now getting airplay.

For a hasidic jew , this guy sings some mean reggae!

Great video for his single, "King Without A Crown" on his site:
http://www.hasidicreggae.com/
Where has everyone been, I've had his CD for months now. Original version of king without a crown is nothing like the live version which is getting play. His first CD "Shake Off The Dusk...Arise" came out in 2004. His latest CD "Live at Stubbs" came out late aug - early sept. The live version is faster than the one on his studio one but its a hot track b/c people have been buzzing about it on the net. I never mentioned it b/c of what you guys might have thought of a hasidic performing reggae.

My fear is that even though he is good, people are gonna make fun of him like some Vanilla Ice or Snow.
J Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Big Dave
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I saw the King Without A Crown (live) on TV (I think MTV) and downloaded it off ITunes. This week Traget has the live CD for $9, so I went ahead and picked it up, have not had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

If anyone's interested he's touring right now. Check ticketmaster.com.
I'm thinking of checking him out at the Avalon in Boston in Feb.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
Babytoxie
Ghost

Tao turned me on to his music over lunch today. Listened to a few clips on-line, may have to get the CD.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
Wooktroop
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

i caught him live last fall
hes worth checking out
Wooktroop is offline   Reply With Quote