Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Starlight by Mark Millar

What would happen if Jon Carter, Flash Gordon, Michael Kane, Buck Rogers or any other Pulp-Era, space adventurer returned home to earth after their amazing adventures on other planets ... and resumed their normal, earth lives, growing older, getting fat, raising families etc...?

It's a great question & one I'd never really considered even though I've read them all and have collected their ppbks & comics all my life. Mark Millar, in his starlight comic attempts to answer this. I loved the 1st issue. I saw in his Nemesis, & now here, that Millar really gets older people. His hero, Duke McQueen is written very well w/ the sadness of a widower & old man carries. The flashbacks to his space-warrior golden days juxtaposed to his gray-haired forgotten by his adult children old man, makes for an almost heartbreaking 1st ish. If you like the old pulp-style heroes, you should check out Starlight.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Heard this was already optioned for film....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

This is looking really good. I've sworn off Millar for quite some time now, but I think I'll give this a shot.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
This is looking really good. I've sworn off Millar for quite some time now, but I think I'll give this a shot.
I really enjoy almost everything he writes. Millar, like Ennis, another one of my favorite writers, seems to play by his own rulebook, thumbing his nose to the more conventional & boring status quo found in 80% of today's modern comics. He takes "what if" scenarios & artfully runs with them, but is smart enough to know when to close a story. (Nemesis/Superior/Old Man Logan/ even his X-Men run). I'll admit that he's pushed his Kick-Ass a little too far, but that's about it as far as I can read. Hell, his Ultimate Avengers set the bar on the MU to this very day.
Back to Starlight ... I think you'll like it BT for the reasons I mentioned in post #1. We're now 3 issues deep & he's stumbled just a little bit w/ the 3rd ish, but it's still going strong for a kick-off. I'm looking forward to all the Millar movies in development & I know people thinks he just writes now to sell movie ideas, but he still writes very good comics. His MPH starts tomorrow & I'm looking forward to his version of The Flash.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Millar is in the group of writers that I will always read when offered. That group only includes, Ennis, Millar, Ellis, BKV, and Brian Wood.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
Millar is in the group of writers that I will always read when offered. That group only includes, Ennis, Millar, Ellis, BKV, and Brian Wood.
You should add Remender to that list.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
You should add Remender to that list.
Damnit...you're are exactly right. I typed this on my way out...Remender is defo on there, I am reading Black Science and Uncanny Avengers currently.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote