Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #241
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karauak View Post
It's just that people who express negative opinions don't even have it in their hands. So on what basis do they do it? One movie on YT?
If I see pictures or video of something I think doesn’t look good enough for the price point, I’m not going to buy it just so I can post about it. Nothing wrong with anyone’s opinion on either side. I just prefer people say what they do or don’t like about it specifically so I can look at that myself and make my own judgment. Sometimes people see things I don’t and it has helped me to buy or not buy.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #242
karauak
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracomputer.1 View Post
If I see pictures or video of something I think doesn’t look good enough for the price point, I’m not going to buy it just so I can post about it. Nothing wrong with anyone’s opinion on either side. I just prefer people say what they do or don’t like about it specifically so I can look at that myself and make my own judgment. Sometimes people see things I don’t and it has helped me to buy or not buy.
But all those who have it in their hands and have seen it with their own eyes (myself included) say that it is perfect.
All those who comment negatively do it on the basis of one video!
karauak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #243
Vader
Ghost

You can never have the full sense of a large piece like this until it’s in hand. But for many it’s not worth the risk. For the rest of us, let’s just enjoy it when we get it
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #244
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
But all those who have it in their hands and have seen it with their own eyes (myself included) say that it is perfect.
And people reading these would most likely take that into consideration. I always weight the reviews heavier from those that actually have it or at least seen it in person.
Also I am talking about in general, not just this particular statue.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #245
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
I do agree a little bit...the guy in the video seems to LOVE it and he might have more statues than all of combined. Do people just not care about his opinion?
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #246
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
It's just that people who express negative opinions don't even have it in their hands. So on what basis do they do it? One movie on YT?

Not sure I've even seen any negative opinions yet (They will be along at some point, as will the positive ones) just facts about the material used and the visible seam lines. If stating simple facts annoys you, you should definitely avoid the internet. Telling everybody else to be silent when they don't hold your opinion always goes well.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #247
MegatronG1
The X-Men

I've been collecting for almost 20 years now, including action figures. I'm sure that's the case for many on here. You get picky when you've seen better work before, from the same company, even. I tolerate flaws, as everything has them, but I don't want deadweight in my collection anymore. It's not like you can unload these things without making a loss.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:00 AM   #248
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
I do agree a little bit...the guy in the video seems to LOVE it and he might have more statues than all of combined. Do people just not care about his opinion?
Usually reviewers tend to LOVE everything they get for their collection, if there is something negative they mention it casually. I never rely on those reviews because most of the time they are no real reviews but presentations.

In the last Rancor "review" all of this was mentioned:

- visible seamlines on the arms
- visible seamlines on the body
- a big design issue is the inside of the mouth
- it was mentioned 7 or 8 times that this is made of PVC, a little bit cheaper material
- the nail is too clode to the foot
- paint flaws on the base, it is a little bit of a miss and sloppy done
- some areas of the paintjob look cheap on the body (left side of the face and shoulder)
- not digging the gloss effects on the body
- the moist effect in the mouth is not perfectly done
- the piece does not have an exceptional value, but you could get your maney back
- a chain would have been nice
- tha packaging is not good

Still it gets a full 5 out of 5 "It is actually really well done" is not a comment that reflects that rating to me.

This is the reason why I never trust in reviews and rather need to see a piece like this in hand @ someone else's collection.

Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #249
Fu_Manchu
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by equi-nox76 View Post
Still it gets a full 5 out of 5 "It is actually really well done" is not a comment that reflects that rating to me.

This is the reason why I never trust in reviews and rather need to see a piece like this in hand @ someone else's collection.
That wraps everything up. You never know a statue until you see it for yourself, hence reviews are useless
Fu_Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #250
Mandible
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
I've been collecting for almost 20 years now, including action figures. I'm sure that's the case for many on here. You get picky when you've seen better work before, from the same company, even. I tolerate flaws, as everything has them, but I don't want deadweight in my collection anymore. It's not like you can unload these things without making a loss.
I've got the Dewback and Taun Taun and if I unloaded them right now I would make nearly 3x back on the Taun Taun, and 8x back on the Dewback.

I think with only 600 pieces, this will be the same in years to come.

Hell, even the crappy Jabba's palace archway I picked up for $120 is now going for $1000-1500.
Mandible is offline   Reply With Quote