Super Moderator

Arrow Shooting at Taft High School in California

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20975608
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Jesus.

I'm not sure how to put my thoughts down here coherently.....but I'm really starting to think that news/tv should have a time table as to how long shooting events can be covered.

Yes, I don't know the reason behind this shooting is for attention. And I know that sometimes these events happen due to mental disability issues. But I think coverage only makes people who are debating a way to get their 15mins of fame, or to placate the thoughts, through violence see that it is the way to go.

Was there always this much small scale violence before media expanded and I’m just an idiot? I can’t imagine, but then again I can’t imagine lots of demented and tragic stuff that happens these days.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

People who fatally shoot other people to "make the news" should be drowned; slowly.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
dino76m
Kindly Asked To Leave

man , if these guys wanted 5 minutes of fame , why go shoot down some school kids, go down big, take down a underworld don or gangster or something , do something good
dino76m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

There have been a rash of such attacks in China too, although stabbing rather than shooting.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
People who fatally shoot other people to "make the news" should be drowned; slowly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino76m View Post
man , if these guys wanted 5 minutes of fame , why go shoot down some school kids, go down big, take down a underworld don or gangster or something , do something good

Love the new avatar, Bullseye!

It's the stupid American law that allow idiots to carry guns. Then the rednecks who customize and modify guns to make them do silly things like nobody's business. Shows like American Guns and Sons of Guns and whatever hick program that encourage gun culture and give people ideas. Shouldn't the ATF and other enforcement agencies have a bigger say in this farce of a culture?

And then there's the issue of the NRA...

America is beautiful and the ideals are meant for good but in this day and age, with so many deviants, it is turning out to be a major flaw which only has a terrible and grim outcome in the end.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Gotta watch those rednecks....
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Indy_Yoda
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
It's the stupid American law that allow idiots to carry guns. Then the rednecks who customize and modify guns to make them do silly things like nobody's business.
I think when you say rednecks you mean liberals. The term redneck referred to sharecroppers in the early south who spent their days in the fields and ended up with sunburned necks. The term was meant for hard working people. The south remains red states. The shootings you are referring to happened in California, Colorado, Illinois (which are all blue states). CA and IL also happen to be the states with the toughest gun laws so clearly that is model we should follow.

Quote:
Shows like American Guns and Sons of Guns and whatever hick program that encourage gun culture and give people ideas. Shouldn't the ATF and other enforcement agencies have a bigger say in this farce of a culture?
Umm... What? Do you mean that the ATF should decide what shows can and cant be shown on TV?
Typical response though, a person did something bad so TV and video games must be the problem.

Quote:
And then there's the issue of the NRA...
"Rainbows are yucky...." I wasn't sure what we were doing here. I assume just putting out a random opinion with absolutely nothing to support it.

Quote:
America is beautiful and the ideals are meant for good but in this day and age, with so many deviants, it is turning out to be a major flaw which only has a terrible and grim outcome in the end.
Here we agree. America is the land of opportunity where anyone, regardless of their beginnings, can succeed. The recent shootings are completely unacceptable and I agree that changes need to be made. However stripping away the basic freedoms that this country was founded on is not the answer.
Indy_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Hm,, maybe just me, but i would associate the "stereotyped" redneck as leaning more tward the conservative side.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Hm,, maybe just me, but i would associate the "stereotyped" redneck as leaning more tward the conservative side.
but he was making the counter point that where Derek blamed the "rednecks" for the shootings the big recent ones were all done in liberal states, not deep south hicksville
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote