Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 09-01-2023, 10:13 AM   #501
qz33
Doctor Doom

Heavy does NOT = a strong or quality statue.
C'mon people learn!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #502
nearmint
Phoenix

The shipping weight is 43 pounds. Seems like a good weight to me.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:48 AM   #503
aadroban
Birdman

Oh I think it is more than fair to ask questions about the materials used in a statue before purchasing. You can make all the snide remarks you like, but it's not going to keep me from asking. Especially for a statue that will be close to $1200 with shipping/taxes. Love the design, bought everything from TH's MOTU lines thus far. Just curious what the materials were for Cat and the base after watching the video. Sideshow did not have it listed, so I contacted them a couple of days ago. They said the statue is fully polystone. I then asked does that include the base and Battle Cat? And then they said they were unsure . . and to contact TH directly. So I did. Chad responded that he honestly did not know what materials were used for Cat and the base and would need to contact the factory to find out. That's fine. I agreed . . and I'm waiting to hear back. I know it's not PVC. Just curious since it appeared lighter than I expected when it was lifted out of the packaging.
aadroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #504
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadroban View Post
Oh I think it is more than fair to ask questions about the materials used in a statue before purchasing. You can make all the snide remarks you like, but it's not going to keep me from asking. Especially for a statue that will be close to $1200 with shipping/taxes. Love the design, bought everything from TH's MOTU lines thus far. Just curious what the materials were for Cat and the base after watching the video. Sideshow did not have it listed, so I contacted them a couple of days ago. They said the statue is fully polystone. I then asked does that include the base and Battle Cat? And then they said they were unsure . . and to contact TH directly. So I did. Chad responded that he honestly did not know what materials were used for Cat and the base and would need to contact the factory to find out. That's fine. I agreed . . and I'm waiting to hear back. I know it's not PVC. Just curious since it appeared lighter than I expected when it was lifted out of the packaging.
Why would anyone want to keep you from asking? That would be silly.
Light or not many bases are hollow. A good rule of thumb is the larger the part the more likely it is not totally solid.
Most Sideshow pieces list Polystone or resin interchangeably since Polystone is a resin..
Spoiler
The larger issue is you are looking for a quality indicator as noted by your reference of the cost and by inquiring about the material. The secret is in the sauce which no matter what answer you get will not tell much about "quality" There are countless resin compositions so an answer of "resin" will tell nothing about it's particular characteristics.
There are also varying formulations for the composite of stone powder to resin ratio that affects both weight and "strength" characteristics.
Polystone is one the least expensive casting materials and process.

Polystone is generally very brittle. If something will be supporting stress it is a poor choice.
A hollow piece can actually be stronger than a solid one. Polystone is meant to imitate stones like marble used for sculpting. Very heavy but strike marble right and it will split all the way through and even stress over time will lead to cracks. The solidity transfers the stress in a single fault throughout the material. So too can solid Polystone.
I'd expect the answer you will get will be resinPolystone but that will not tell you solid or hollow or the makeup of this particular instance. Very telling about the disconnect between producer and factory that the owner of a company does not have the materials used in its products readily available even for their own knowledge.
Let's see what Tweeterhead Chad gets back to you with.

This discussion was mainly initiated by the video where they guy picks up Battlecat and proclaims "It's PVC! I don't mind PVC if it's for a good reason!!" No sorry dude you cannot identify PVC just by piece being lighter than you intuit it would be.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:39 PM   #505
Darth Milo
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadroban View Post
and to contact TH directly. So I did. Chad responded that he honestly did not know what materials were used for Cat and the base and would need to contact the factory to find out.
Darth Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #506
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milo View Post
I think a lotta of collectors don't comprehend the disconnect between American Statue Brand and Chinese production factory.

Statue companies pretty much come up with the look of a statue and sell it. They leave all the rest up to the factory to figure out.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:59 PM   #507
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
The shipping weight is 43 pounds. Seems like a good weight to me.
mine was just delivered and that seems about right, going to be a nice start to the weekend
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:01 PM   #508
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
mine was just delivered and that seems about right, going to be a nice start to the weekend
Let us know what you think of the weight. Interested since I know you have an experienced perspective.

No matter the weight its gonna look tops when you unbox it!
Old 09-01-2023, 01:32 PM   #509
aadroban
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Congrats! Looking forward to your thoughts on the statue.
aadroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:58 PM   #510
SONICobra
Batman

So I just saw this thing at powercon which is what pushed me over the edge into ordering but man even though I just saw this in person my first thought when I pulled the top layer of stulyrofoam off was ?f_ck this this is big? battlecat is HUGE, this is such an awesome piece. Im so happy tweeterhead made this, cant wait for skeletor and panthor

Regarding the weight - I would say the base is lighter than you would expect it to be just by looking at it. It feels like a thick fiberglass, not saying that?s what it is but thats just how it feels. Battlecat is most of the weight of this statue it feels pretty solid. Each back paw has a large key with a metal rod, one is probably the largest Ive seen on a statue. I think the engineering behind this is sound, Igo said they put a lot into that with this project

Paint is very clean, this is such an awesome representation of the art from the classic packaging. Battlecats tongue is nice and glossy which contrasts well with his fur and helmet. He-man is all business and again the paint is super clean. Paint on the base looks really good, subtle highlights and shading really bring it to life

Homerun from tweeterhead, Id say if this is something youre considering you wont be disappointed

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote