Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #14761
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Superman "Donner's cut" 6/10

MOS was so much better than this one even though I remember it being cool back in 1978.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #14762
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Sword of the Stranger - 4/5

Pretty kick ass anime flick, the fight scenes are magnificent.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #14763
Primal
Batman

The Wolverine 2.5/5

Was almost good but I was dozing off between the action sequences. When the best part of the movie is in the ending credits, you know there's something wrong.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #14764
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

The Wolverine 7/10
I actually liked the slower pace and character driven story.... for the first two acts. The film lost me once the third act hit. Also, despite avaoiding trailers and only seeing the ones I was forced to ahead of PR and MoS, I felt like I had seen all the action sequences well before seeing the movie.

I actually didnt like Viper and felt her tacked on and an unnecessary distracton. As a whole the film could have been a very different and very compelling CBM if only Fox could have foregone their typical shenanigans and trappings and trusted the source material rather than a CG infusion.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #14765
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
The Wolverine 2.5/5

Was almost good but I was dozing off between the action sequences. When the best part of the movie is in the ending credits, you know there's something wrong.
Agree. Another missed opportunity with this franchise.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #14766
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The Wolverine - 8/10

I'm right on the border of giving this film an 8.5 as I really liked it. Obviously more than just about everyone else here I see. My only complaints would be that Viper was a rather weak antagonist and the Silver Samurai wasn't utilized (narratively speaking) in the fashion I would have preferred, but despite that this is an improvement over "Origins" in every aspect. Much more character driven, great fight choreography, no cheesy over the top action set pieces, no bad CGI, excellent cinematography, some actual emotion and THE BEST post credits scene to date in ANY Marvel film. With "First Class" and now "The Wolverine" I think FOX is back on track after stumbling with "The Last Stand" and "Wolverine Origins." I'm more excited than ever now for "Days of Future Past." I think they're doing a great job of forming some much needed continuity in the X-Universe now.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #14767
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The Wolverine - 8/10

I'm right on the border of giving this film an 8.5 as I really liked it. Obviously more than just about everyone else here I see. My only complaints would be that Viper was a rather weak antagonist and the Silver Samurai wasn't utilized (narratively speaking) in the fashion I would have preferred, but despite that this is an improvement over "Origins" in every aspect. Much more character driven, great fight choreography, no cheesy over the top action set pieces, no bad CGI, excellent cinematography, some actual emotion and THE BEST post credits scene to date in ANY Marvel film. With "First Class" and now "The Wolverine" I think FOX is back on track after stumbling with "The Last Stand" and "Wolverine Origins." I'm more excited than ever now for "Days of Future Past." I think they're doing a great job of forming some much needed continuity in the X-Universe now.

Better than the one in Pacific Rim? Color me skeptical.

Glad to read your review, as it gives me hope for the film. Hopefully I'll have some time to go check it out within the week.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #14768
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The Wolverine - 8/10

I agree that it's a better than Wolverine Origins but when I think of how it's supposed to be based on the classic Claremont/Miller Wolverine mini series from almost 30 years ago it falls flat on almost every level imo.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #14769
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
I agree that it's a better than Wolverine Origins but when I think of how it's supposed to be based on the classic Claremont/Miller Wolverine mini series from almost 30 years ago it falls flat on almost every level imo.
That's why you should probably be watching the film for what it is and THEN make your comparisons to the original source material if you must. There are always going to be changes and inconsistencies when a story is adapted to film. It isn't fair to either medium to be comparing the two against each other. Not to mention taking such an approach is a disservice to yourself as the viewer/reader.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #14770
patrickwm68
The Flash

Evil Dead (2013) 7.5/10. Not as great as the classic but still a good solid horror film.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote