The Debt - 3.5/5
Akira - 4/5
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #9773
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Drive - 9.5/10

The coolest most confident film I've seen in years. Probably since Michael Mann's masterpiece Heat. This could quite possibly be my favorite film of 2011. Its a bold statement I know, and I probably need to let it soak in a while longer before making that assessment but I absolutely loved every single shot. The story is nothing new really. In fact its rather simplistic and is definitely more style than substance but Drive's style is what makes it so refreshing. This film hits all the marks for me. Amazing performances, perfect pacing, well written dialogue and a soundtrack that compliments the underlying tension beautifully. Simply put this is a well crafted piece of cinema.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #9774
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I see this and all I think is "another "Too Fast..." movie; but I never gave those a shot either, and this film's getting far better reviews than any of those ever did, so... I guess I'll rent it tomorrow. Nice review, Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Drive - 9.5/10

The coolest most confident film I've seen in years. Probably since Michael Mann's masterpiece Heat. This could quite possibly be my favorite film of 2011. Its a bold statement I know, and I probably need to let it soak in a while longer before making that assessment but I absolutely loved every single shot. The story is nothing new really. In fact its rather simplistic and is definitely more style than substance but Drive's style is what makes it so refreshing. This film hits all the marks for me. Amazing performances, perfect pacing, well written dialogue and a soundtrack that compliments the underlying tension beautifully. Simply put this is a well crafted piece of cinema.

Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #9775
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I see this and all I think is "another "Too Fast..." movie; but I never gave those a shot either, and this film's getting far better reviews than any of those ever did, so... I guess I'll rent it tomorrow. Nice review, Scott.
Ryan trust me, this is no Fast & Furious. If anything I could see the typical ADD moviegoer complaining that its to slow. Both Rod and Tony recommended this movie to me, obviously both of them know my tastes VERY well but unfortunately I wasn't able to catch it theatrically. Its not your typical popcorn fare.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #9776
jimmmy
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Drive - 9.5/10

I've not seen the movie yet but your review and the ken Taylor poster make me want to watch it ASAP!
jimmmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #9777
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Ryan trust me, this is no Fast & Furious. If anything I could see the typical ADD moviegoer complaining that its to slow. Both Rod and Tony recommended this movie to me, obviously both of them know my tastes VERY well but unfortunately I wasn't able to catch it theatrically. Its not your typical popcorn fare.
Drive was great and has absolutely nothing in common with the Fast and Furious movies. Its much more of a thinker / thriller than an action movie. And as much as I enjoyed it and Gosling was great, there was one (very minor) thing that nagged on me and that was that Goslings character just seemed a little to young to have such experience and composure. For example, if you draw a comparison with Neil McCauley in Heat (methodical, composed, professional), DeNiro really looked like he'd been through it all, whereas Gosling is just a little too baby faced, if that makes sense. Still a great movie though.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #9778
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
You watched it!!!

I (and of course Tony) just KNEW you'd love it mate, it really is a masterpiece. So glad you finally caught it!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #9779
abarron
Batman

Green Lantern 7/10

Maybe its cos i don't really know the comics but don't really know what all the hate is about

Predators 7/10 not too bad but could have done with more predators. Better than any of the AVP and a good Predator 1.5
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #9780
randy_marsh
I am da law!

Quote:
Drive - 9.5/10

Thanks for this review, I'm going to probably blindly-buy this soon. Sounds like it is something really worth the blu-ray price to me
randy_marsh is offline   Reply With Quote