Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Two clear and equally viable choices here IMO:

Walk away

Go for it and pay with PayPal merchandise payment. If the commission never gets off the ground like it sounds like you suspect it might, request a refund. Your timeline on this should be before your refund option with PayPal expires.

What is more important? Seeing what they might draw for you ... or avoiding possible drama? Your answer is your option.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

My current frame of mind is just that if it's this hard to discuss paper sizes then it's going to be that much harder to discuss design ideas.

And like what's already been said, I'm not a nitpicker looking to control every detail. But all of us art collector's can agree that we do have certain things we want - the way the character should look (costume, weapons, etc), the pose you kinda want (t or a or both in some twisted way), and what background setting you want. And I'm feeling like there's no way this artist is gonna make talking about any of those points easy. I think he's just too much of a freelance illustrator that doesn't know how to take ideas from other people, and that's why he's a cheaper online artist (I don't think he's done any published works - or any major published works).

It sucks, but I think I'll just have to keep watching his accounts and wait until he starts offering the stuff that I want due to his own actions instead of me trying to ask him for it... if that makes any sense.
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Good luck ... I must admit that the curiosity of the artist and price point are rising

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #14
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
My best commission experience: Bruce Timm. The consummate professional. He let me ask for what I wanted and surpassed my expectations.
I WISH I could afford the opportunity to experience his consummate professionalism. I know instantly that I would get a BTAS Catwoman.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
360 means they're the same wonderful human being as they were before getting your dough

But in all seriousness, I agree. I also don't mind owning art from people I wouldn't necessarily be friends with but I am oftentimes a repeat customer and huge advocate for the artists whose art is as amazing as they are friendly.

You are correct, sir!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I WISH I could afford the opportunity to experience his consummate professionalism. I know instantly that I would get a BTAS Catwoman.
This was it

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #17
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I used to own a Timm commission. But he made one design choice that was so wonky and weird that it ruined the entire piece, so I sold it =(

Now his art has changed that all of his new drawings gives his girls a weird swollen jaw, so lord knows you're gonna have to look for older stuff if you want something nice looking from him =(
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #18
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Outlook of an artist going sour? More times than I can count.

Ignoring instances of being totally scammed like they disappear/emails suddenly stop after payment and I never get any art, there have been plenty of times I've gotten a piece that was way below their usual standards, or I'd pay for a full-figure and get a cut-off-at-the-knees figure. etc.

In your case it seems like walking away was probably a good idea, I'm not sure how an artist could misunderstand your request, a 2 page splash is a pretty standard concept. If there is confusion even before things begin its probably a red flag.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #19
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Larry Stroman ..... he’s a theif and fraud . Advertises finished work , I arrange payment in full plus send money for a private piece, he never ships the item . Luckily I file PayPal claim even then he just wouldn’t send my money back . Like dude you didn’t ship my art that was finished old stock of yours ? Two months plus .

He’s an absolute idiot! Zero career and disappearing fan base because of this crap .
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:18 AM   #20
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
My best commission experience: Bruce Timm. The consummate professional. He let me ask for what I wanted and surpassed my expectations.
How did you manage this? I’m trying to get a Namor piece from Bruce his art rep Albert Moy almost never answers my emails when he does he tells me Bruce won’t draw Namor . Odd I was under the impression if you pay 2-2.5K for 8 x 11” you get to choose your character . Apparently not . I won’t give up but it’s so frustrating
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote