Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

I'm looking to upgrade my camera lens. Any advice or thoughts?

With boxing day just around the corner, I'm thinking I want to take advantage of the sales to upgrade the lens I presently use for taking pics of statues. Right now, I'm using the Nikon/nikkor 18-55 mm lens for my Nikon D5100. I'm looking at the 18-200mm lens.

Anyone thought on what lens I should consider?

Thanks for the feedback!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
dajuice
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Just Google Nikon Holy Trinity.
dajuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajuice View Post
Just Google Nikon Holy Trinity.
Holy trinity: 14-24mm + 24-70mm + 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lenses

Great lenses! Unfortunately, I'd have to spend 4k-5k to buy them all. Too pricey for me. I'm looking for something more hobby-related and reasonably priced. However, that for pointing them out to me. Perhaps one day.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
WickedlNl
Kindly Asked To Leave

Well lets skip the 24mm and 70-200 of the holy trinity as they are useless to you considering what you mainly want to take photos off. If you really want to upgrade to a pro all around lense, id suggest to go with the 24-70....its the middle of the holy 3. Sharp as hell, built like a tank, amazing for many types of photography. This lense takes care of 75% of any photography needs. You can check my website www.aeongaiden.com , i use mainly 24-70 and 85mm.
WickedlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedlNl View Post
Well lets skip the 24mm and 70-200 of the holy trinity as they are useless to you considering what you mainly want to take photos off. If you really want to upgrade to a pro all around lense, id suggest to go with the 24-70....its the middle of the holy 3. Sharp as hell, built like a tank, amazing for many types of photography. This lense takes care of 75% of any photography needs. You can check my website www.aeongaiden.com , i use mainly 24-70 and 85mm.
Sounds awesome. One lens is definitely more affordable than three. Do you find the lack of VR an issue with the 24-70mm? However, out of curiosity, what do you think of the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens with VR? It seems to cover lots of ground too. Any drawbacks?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
WickedlNl
Kindly Asked To Leave

I personally never used the 18-200 but now i had a quick breeze and seems like a very capable all around lense and about $1000 cheaper. I just read which body you are using so maybe you should go for the 18-200 since its crop sensor. The 24-70 is a beast but you will get the best out of it only if you have a full frame camera (d700 and above). So unless you want to buy somethign to prep for the future, i think 18-200 is a better option for you. The 24-70 also has better low light capabilities but as i said, those extra stops may or may not matter to you depending where the statues are as in how the room is lit.
WickedlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedlNl View Post
I personally never used the 18-200 but now i had a quick breeze and seems like a very capable all around lense and about $1000 cheaper. I just read which body you are using so maybe you should go for the 18-200 since its crop sensor. The 24-70 is a beast but you will get the best out of it only if you have a full frame camera (d700 and above). So unless you want to buy somethign to prep for the future, i think 18-200 is a better option for you. The 24-70 also has better low light capabilities but as i said, those extra stops may or may not matter to you depending where the statues are as in how the room is lit.
Here are some pics I took recently. However, the stars needed to be all aligned for these. I'm not always sure how to replicate the effect under different natural lighting conditions.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Here are a few more... I couldn't quite replicate the warmth you see in the Poison Ivy pics.
Would the choice of lens have a dramatic effect in this instance?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

I got closer here...

Old 12-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

I really had a tough time taking pics of this diorama... I simply could not get the right amount of detail. The cam had trouble focusing on both figures at the same time. I couldn't achieve any richness in detail. This one was a lousy shoot for me. Probably my worst with this camera. This was when I began to question if I needed a better lens, if that makes any sense.

I tried different lighting but still wasn't satisfied.

Close-ups were better, but all it did really was make me wonder why I couldn't get that kind of clarity when I zoomed out to take a pic of the entire piece.