Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_Rules View Post
Gotcha. I’ve just never understood why girls like her so much. A psychiatrist who falls madly in love with a psychopath who repeatedly abuses her doesn’t really seem like a great role model.
People aren't always logical. Also, I would imagine that some fans are in similarly abusive relationships (we feel empathetic towards characters who are like us, not just characters we aspire to be).
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Gotcha. I’ve just never understood why girls like her so much. A psychiatrist who falls madly in love with a psychopath who repeatedly abuses her doesn’t really seem like a great role model.
She stopped being portrayed that way in the New 52 and Rebirth.... Now she's independent and does her own thing while admitting that Joker was a horrible BF...

She's more PC now, besides the killing thing..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
She stopped being portrayed that way in the New 52 and Rebirth.... Now she's independent and does her own thing while admitting that Joker was a horrible BF...

She's more PC now, besides the killing thing..
Well that's good at least.
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

There were also rummors for a Joker film, what happened to that ?

I like Harley, i wish her and Joker's reletionship was not that abusive... So they wouldn't have to be seperated.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1103328

So right now the plan is to co-opt Birds of Prey as a Harley-led team movie.

Ugh. The core Birds of Prey team has to be Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress. I don't mind adding Harley, but she should NOT be the lead.
Agreed.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1103328

So right now the plan is to co-opt Birds of Prey as a Harley-led team movie.

Ugh. The core Birds of Prey team has to be Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress. I don't mind adding Harley, but she should NOT be the lead.

Comics and movies tend to go together like ice cream and onions. Sometimes it's almost like you just have to force yourself to like it, i.e., organic web-shooters, Joker killing Bruce's parents, Hulk growing as big as a house, Mandarin is actually an actor, Dr. Doom as a Wallstreet hipster....... There are many more.

Quote:
Never let that kind of common sense get in the way of girl power. We now live in a word where a female lead who has zero Jedi training and even less knowledge of the force can beat the major bad Jedi the very first time she ever picks up a lightsaber.

Living with gender double standards is par for the course these days in film. All this to say, women identifying with the baddie girl who is in love with the even badder bad guy is nothing new. It's a cliche, actually. We can't compare movie fans and comics fans as the latter will always take a back seat to the former as they are the far greater market base. They buy without asking questions.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #17
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Comics and movies tend to go together like ice cream and onions. Sometimes it's almost like you just have to force yourself to like it

Hey, I like onions.

Thing is, I thought Margot Robbie was just annoying.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #18
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:

Hey, I like onions.

Thing is, I thought Margot Robbie was just annoying.
That whole movie was annoying, it was just badly written...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #19
M United
The Spirit

Grace has a scoop on her channel on this movie.
M United is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #20
Augen
The Hulk

After testing multiple actresses to join Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn in “Birds of Prey,” Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment are closer to assembling its team of female superheroes.

Sources tell Variety that Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Jurnee Smollett-Bell have been tapped to join Robbie in the comic-book spinoff, with Winstead playing Huntress and Smollett-Bell portraying Black Canary.

Robbie is reprising her role as Quinn, which she first unveiled in 2016’s “Suicide Squad,” and is also on board to produce with Sue Kroll and Bryan Unkeless.

There are several versions of Huntress, aka Helena Bertinelli, throughout DC Comics. The “Birds of Prey” iteration is a former mafia princess who was devastated at a young age when her family was killed in a mob hit, turning her into a vigilante and eventually leading her to join the Birds of Prey team. Black Canary, aka Dinah Lance, is a good-natured and idealistic streetfighter in the comics.

In the film, the team will fight a Gotham crime lord who has yet to be unveiled.

Cathy Yan is directing the pic, which is set to be released on Feb. 7, 2020.

--------------------

Always have to wait until I see them in costume, not sure right now about the casting choices.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote