Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #21
Tarasadies
Frackin!

I primarily collect Bowen statues. These are the heroes and villains I grew up with, and no one does a better job of representing them in statue form than Bowen.

That being said, if they do return I wish they would improve in a few areas...

1) More consistent paints. Several of my statues have notable paint flaws (Action Cap, Classic Wasp, Variant Hulk to name a few) and they were purchased directly from Bowen. Shouldn't happen.

2) More consistent scale. As other have said, it is a real bummer to put together a team display and have one or two statues that clearly don't fit because of their smaller scale (helloooooo Black Knight)....

3) For pete's sake, show my international brothers some love and ship internationally...
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #22
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Personally, I like the Bowen scale and I see no need for it to change. Bowen Designs hits a niche in the market that hardly has any competition but reaches a large percentage of the consumers. Only Kotobukiya and in some extend Gentłe Giant are able to compete but they are still years away of the level of BD.

As someone that started collecting in the late 90's (1999 to be exact), I have seen the industry change and supersize quite a bit. Back in those days, we were content with the 1/10 and 1/7 scale statues because those were all we ever got. Right when I got married (in 2004), I took a 5 year break just to make it back to the Sideshow's 1/4 and 1/5 statue craze days. Like everyone else, I bought into it until I ran out of room and new display ideas. That is when I made the decision to go back to the smaller scale statues that brought me into the hobby in the first place.

the major asset of 1/6 and 1/7 scale pieces is its smaller size. They are easier to display, easier to clean and easier to store. 1/4 and 1/5 scale pieces always present challenges whether in how to display them or where to put them. You can always make room for small pieces but it is almost impossible when you are dealing with large size statues in a reduced area. That is why some collectors have multiple collection rooms, but not everybody can afford to relinquish valuable living space. At least, this is my personal case.

What I have come to know over the years is that most Bowen collectors grew up reading comics. This is not necessarily the case for Sideshow, PopCultureShock and the new XM Studios collectors. Mainly, these collectors are pop culture aficionados rather than Comic lore connoisseurs. Therefore, their lack of interest for anything that resembles the art and the attitude portraited in comics. This is where Randy's company shines over the others. I have own many pieces, from almost all of the companies, and regardless of the size I can say with total certainty that I enjoy my Bowen and Kotobukiya pieces the most. They make me feel like a kid again. I have never felt this way with pieces from other producers, mixed media or not.
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsbells51 View Post

I highlighted that portion because I've noticed this big time. Sideshow and now even XM gets hyped up to the point where it almost turns me off from collecting. It reminds me of the early 90's comic era. While I enjoyed the early 90's of comic collecting it became too much and the fun was taken out of it because all these variants and hype took over the hobby. Yes, it brings excitement to collecting, but it also kills the hobby. It happened with sports cards, comics, etc. It may or may not happen with statues, but with the rapidly inclining prices over the years it sure seems like it's inevitable.

Bowen seems to cater to all eras of comic fans, but it's niche is the classics so they actually have two big advantages: classic comics and the 1:6 market.
Most definitely. I did also collect comics and trade cards in the early 90's and I completely understand what you are saying. Although statue collecting is a different beast from those two, the same evils that plagued those early days are still present today. Overhyping, variants, aftermarket prices, raising cost, just to mention a few, can be considered killers of any hobby and the fun of it.

When I check the different companies sections in this forum, it is exciting to see people talking passionately about the hobby, the upcoming pieces and the improvements in the art. Sadly, this excitement also attracts an unwanted kind of people. Flippers, price gougers, clueless pop culture addicts (for them anything goes as long as it is shiny), etc. Although these individuals have always been around and are financially beneficial to certain extend, they can also cause and overload to all of us and to the industry in general. The risk for this hobby to fall and become another forgotten pastime is ever present just like a train wreck.

I have been critical of Randy over the years for his lack of interaction with the fans. Now I can see that his personal decision to do so, has been an important safeguard. While many other artists and companies have become crowd pleasers (trying to cater to everybody's outrageous needs), Bowen Designs has remained true and consistent with its vision. We as comicbook readers, are the sole beneficiaries of this legacy. I can say without a doubt that if I decide to quit this hobby tomorrow, I can be content with my almost complete roster of Bowen/Marvel characters collection. That is an accomplishment in itself.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Personally, I like the Bowen scale and I see no need for it to change. Bowen Designs hits a niche in the market that hardly has any competition but reaches a large percentage of the consumers. Only Kotobukiya and in some extend Gentłe Giant are able to compete but they are still years away of the level of BD.

As someone that started collecting in the late 90's (1999 to be exact), I have seen the industry change and supersize quite a bit. Back in those days, we were content with the 1/10 and 1/7 scale statues because those were all we ever got. Right when I got married (in 2004), I took a 5 year break just to make it back to the Sideshow's 1/4 and 1/5 statue craze days. Like everyone else, I bought into it until I ran out of room and new display ideas. That is when I made the decision to go back to the smaller scale statues that brought me into the hobby in the first place.

the major asset of 1/6 and 1/7 scale pieces is its smaller size. They are easier to display, easier to clean and easier to store. 1/4 and 1/5 scale pieces always present challenges whether in how to display them or where to put them. You can always make room for small pieces but it is almost impossible when you are dealing with large size statues in a reduced area. That is why some collectors have multiple collection rooms, but not everybody can afford to relinquish valuable living space. At least, this is my personal case.

What I have come to know over the years is that most Bowen collectors grew up reading comics. This is not necessarily the case for Sideshow, PopCultureShock and the new XM Studios collectors. Mainly, these collectors are pop culture aficionados rather than Comic lore connoisseurs. Therefore, their lack of interest for anything that resembles the art and the attitude portraited in comics. This is where Randy's company shines over the others. I have own many pieces, from almost all of the companies, and regardless of the size I can say with total certainty that I enjoy my Bowen and Kotobukiya pieces the most. They make me feel like a kid again. I have never felt this way with pieces from other producers, mixed media or not.
Curious as to where that opinion is coming from? I havent seen it, but I havent looked for it either, so not saying it isnt there. I just cant fathom a pop culture fan paying a thousand dollars for a Magneto statue or seven hundred bucks for a Gladiator Hulk "just cause." The flippers? Sure, I can see them doing it thinking they can turn a profit. I just find it hard to see someone spending that kind of money on something they arent emotionally attached to.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #25
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Make a freaking Original Human Torch fs statue please!! I would like to be able to finish off the Invaders. I know, I am the only one....
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
COI

Quote:

What I have come to know over the years is that most Bowen collectors grew up reading comics. This is not necessarily the case for Sideshow, PopCultureShock and the new XM Studios collectors. Mainly, these collectors are pop culture aficionados rather than Comic lore connoisseurs. Therefore, their lack of interest for anything that resembles the art and the attitude portraited in comics.
This is a great point. There definitely seems to be a lot more crossover appeal when it comes to Sideshow and their pieces. As you say, people are coming into the comic sphere from collecting movie pieces or other mediums, and I've noticed that a lot of the people collecting the comic pieces reference either modern books or vintage cartoons, with references to vintage comics being much less frequent.

Nothing wrong with it per-se, but it's an interesting observation. I'm a vintage comic fan, but I'm also a 1/4 scale collector for the most part, and there are fewer options. Then again, 1/4 take up so much room that I'm not even sure what having an extensive 1/4 classic Marvel roster would accomplish, other than making it extremely difficult for me to decide what to buy. So if Bowen comes back I think they should serve their fan base and just keep doing what they've done.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #27
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Curious as to where that opinion is coming from? I havent seen it, but I havent looked for it either, so not saying it isnt there. I just cant fathom a pop culture fan paying a thousand dollars for a Magneto statue or seven hundred bucks for a Gladiator Hulk "just cause." The flippers? Sure, I can see them doing it thinking they can turn a profit. I just find it hard to see someone spending that kind of money on something they arent emotionally attached to.
I think hardcore statue collectors often start out collecting their favorite characters, but they eventually branch out and start buying pieces they don't necessarily have a personal connection to, but that appeal to them as art. With Sideshow's myriad of licenses, there is a lot of back-and-forth crossover, whereas with Bowen, all they've ever done is comic based stuff, so it's natural that Bowen fans are largely constituted of comic fans, whereas Sideshow are all over the place. Maybe they started out with classic monsters, or Predator, or Terminator, etc, etc, and branched out to Marvel or DC.

Just as an example, I highly doubt that the Red Sonja PF sold 1500 EXs to lifelong fans of the character.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I think hardcore statue collectors often start out collecting their favorite characters, but they eventually branch out and start buying pieces they don't necessarily have a personal connection to, but that appeal to them as art. With Sideshow's myriad of licenses, there is a lot of back-and-forth crossover, whereas with Bowen, all they've ever done is comic based stuff, so it's natural that Bowen fans are largely constituted of comic fans, whereas Sideshow are all over the place. Maybe they started out with classic monsters, or Predator, or Terminator, etc, etc, and branched out to Marvel or DC.

Just as an example, I highly doubt that the Red Sonja PF sold 1500 EXs to lifelong fans of the character.
This is true as I bought the Vampirella EX and Lady Death strictly because I thought it looked cool as I don't read either of the comics.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #29
Underdog07
Hercules

They need to bring back the collector's club exclusives in full force and go back to only accepting fax orders a la phasing vision.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #30
qz33
Doctor Doom

Glad everyone is so pleased with what Bowen has been producing as there is some great stuff but does everyone here still intend to continue to buy at a higher price?

I got the Classic Rogue. It is so nice.
I almost paid $225 a year ago but put it off. If I had paid that much for such small statue I would not have been happy.
Mojo is awesome. The $320 I paid shipped is just slightly too much in my mind but he just about takes up as much room as 1/4 so I am happy with it.

So I guess price is the other side of the equation that makes me doubt I would be able to join in on the jubilation of the return to production. No one here seems to be discussing that too much.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote