XM Studios

StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #41
gomur
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Not just that. I had nearly all of his comedy albums from decades before his TV show. I loved those routines and his storytelling delivery. I could recite them from heart. I've said before, some of my fondest '60s and '70s childhood memories were listening to Red Sox baseball on my AM radio, watching Abbott & Costello movies and TV shows, buying and reading Marvel Comics, and listening to my Bill Cosby albums over and over again. I couldn't get enough of him. He really was a key element of my life growing up. In a way, I actually feel betrayed as a lifelong fan.
That's rough man. I was first introduced to Cosby as the delightful Mr. Huxtable. I didn't find out about his stand up until I was older, and it was hilarious. I wonder if it's even possible to separate the monster from the magic he created.

I think about the wrestler Chris Benoit, who died in a murder/suicide involving his family. The guy was an amazing talent in the ring, one of the greatest, and a sure-fire Hall of Fame for wrestling. Because of how he went out, WWE pretends like he never even existed. I don't know if it's wrong of me, but I still can watch his matches and enjoy what he did in the ring.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #42
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
That's rough man. I was first introduced to Cosby as the delightful Mr. Huxtable. I didn't find out about his stand up until I was older, and it was hilarious. I wonder if it's even possible to separate the monster from the magic he created.

I think about the wrestler Chris Benoit, who died in a murder/suicide involving his family. The guy was an amazing talent in the ring, one of the greatest, and a sure-fire Hall of Fame for wrestling. Because of how he went out, WWE pretends like he never even existed. I don't know if it's wrong of me, but I still can watch his matches and enjoy what he did in the ring.
You ask a very important question, one I heatedly debated with one of my college professors back in the 1970s. Separating the art from the artist. If you look at my first post in this thread you'll see I even mention this issue.

My professor said it's important to make this separation, referring to Ezra Pound who's a famous American poet but a vehement anti-Semite. To each his own and what you do has to be driven by your own sensitivities. No judgments there.

As for me, I can't do it. I'll never drive a Ford because of Henry Ford's anti-Semitism, I'll never drive a VW basically as it was created by the Nazi party, I'll never watch a Mel Gibson movie again, I'll never watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger film again, I won't read Ezra Pound poetry or listen to Wagner music/operas, and I'll never listen to a Bill Cosby recording or watch any of his TV shows or movies again.

That's just me.

Gene Colan Dracula? In Hand!!
And The Monster of Frankenstein? In Hand!!
Next? Will we ever see Werewolf by Night?!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #43
OrangeCrush
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
I'll add to that Arnold Schwarzenegger. That asshole cheated on his wife and had an illegitimate kid. His collosal ego probably forgave his self serving behavior.

Mel, Arnold and Cosby. All people I admired who turned out to be asshole douchebags.
Honestly, if you were to stop watching movies/tv shows that had stars in it that had affairs....well, your overall selection of tv shows & movies that you could watch would be minisucle at best.

Personally, I don't judge other people. Bill Cosby is a whole different ballgame as now your talking about the drugging and raping of women and that crosses the line big time. Extramarital affairs on the other hands.....well, the only difference between some stars and most others is that some get caught and some don't. Even JFK, one of my lifelong heroes, was having affairs and sneaking women in and out of the white house.

I don't think people reailize the level of temptation that exists for many of these people. I am not perfect and have certianly made my fair share of mistakes in my lifetime. Maybe its because the average person puts movie/tv stars on some sort of pedestal, thinking they are superior to everyone else. I for one have never felt that way. While I enjoy certain actors and actresses and the work that they produce, I do not idolize any of them. To me, they are just normal human beings with cool jobs, nothing more and nothing less, no different from anyone else I know and as such, I don't exect them to be above being human and making mistakes.

Its thier life to live and the choices they make are theirs and theirs alone. As long as it doesnt include thing like sexual harassment, rape, drugging, etc...well, again its thier life and thier choices to make and they are ultimtely the ones that have to live with those choices. Again, as long as it doesn't cross over into activities like rape, I will continue to watch thier shows and movies as I just don't judge people when it comes to those kinds of things. Again, if I stopped watching movies or TV shows that had actors or actresses that have been unfaithful, I would pretty much have to stop watching movies and tv shows altogether.

And for those thinking they would be different....well, I would love to see you stick to that statement while attendng one of the hundreds of parties that were held at the Playboy mansion. I have been happily married for over 12 years now and I would never in a million years put myself in that situation as I would know going in that the temptation would be INCREDIBLY difficult to deal with. Sure, its easy sitting back in the position most of us are in right now and say "I would never be unfaithful", but until your actually in a siutation like that, where you have some of the worlds most beautiful and sexy women just thrwing themselves at you.....well, Until you have been in that kind of situation, suggesting you would be able to handle it and be able to say no are really just empty words.

The ironic thing about Bill Cosby is he used to run around BASHING comedians like Eddie Murphy left and right for using foul language during his stand up acts (RAW, Notorious), yet the entire time he was drugging and raping women. He really is the epitome of being a hypocrite. I hope he dies alone and with an empty bank account. That may sound harsh, but what that man did, for decades on end, is just inexcusable and pathetic.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #44
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

OC, I get your point but we share different points of view. I've been married 25 years and on business trips or in the course of my over 30 year career (much of it on Wall Street) have found myself faced with temptation on which I've turned my back and rejected. I do not put myself above others but hold myself to a standard which is self imposed.

As to JFK, I'm a democrat from MA who grew up in the '60s so he's one of my political heroes as well, especially due to his handling of The Cuban Missile Crisis on which I wrote a paper in school. That said, while he was a great president he was morally lacking and, so, my respect for him as a person in extremely low. Mel Gibson is a hateful bigot, Bill Cosby is a rapist, Arnold cheated on his wife.

Are the offenses equally egregious? No, not even close. I do not put them in the same camps. But I still don't respect any of these three, for their own unique and different reasons, and I will not let any more of my money go to anyone I don't respect for whatever reason.

Last edited by wktf; 01-10-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #45
Vatos Locos
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
OC, I get your point but we share different points of view. I've been married 25 years and on business trips or in the course of my over 30 year career (much of it on Wall Street) have found myself faced with temptation on which I've turned my back and rejected. I do not put myself above others but hold myself to a standard which is self imposed.

As to JFK, I'm a democrat from MA who grew up in the '60s so he's one of my political heroes as well, especially due to his handling of The Cuban Missile Crisis on which I wrote a paper in school. That said, while he was a great president he was morally lacking and, so, my respect for him as a person in extremely low. Mel Gibson is a hateful bigot, Bill Cosby is a rapist, Arnold cheated on his wife.

Are the offenses equally egregious? No, not even close. I do not put them in the same camps. But I still don't respect any of these three, for their own unique and different reasons, and I will not let any more of my money go to anyone I don't respect for whatever reason.
Sounds like you´re feeling way too connected with people you don´t know.
I couldn´t care less for the private lives of some hollywood actors.
It´s none of my business what people like Clinton or Schwarzenegger are doing outside their jobs.

If anything, it seems kind of strange to me that some of them feel the need to explain themselves publicly.

´Bigot´ is a very hard term. Are you always judging people by some politically incorrect statements they may have made?
If you´re following this rule consequently, you´re also not allowed to read some of the greatest thinkers of history like Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Dostojewski, David Hume and so forth..

Personally, I don´t like Tarantino, but I still enjoy watching ´pulp fiction´. So what?

Don´t get me wrong, I get what you´re saying, but nobody´s perfect and I´m pretty sure you adore many people, who use to have dirt on their hands as well. the only difference is, you don´t know it yet.

Cosby should be in jail the rest of his life like any dirty rapist on this planet.
He´s nothing special, just because he was an actor.
Vatos Locos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #46
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

"Bigot" is a hard term but it applies to Mel based on what he's been recorded as saying about Jews and African Americans. To me, this is a racist point of view rather than politically incorrect statements.

If you don't care about what these people who benefit from your money actually do, then that's your choice. No judgment as you're free to do as you please.

As far as feeling way too connected, to each his own. Cosby was a source of pure joy to me in my youth during the '60s so, yes, I was shocked, saddened, disappointed and enraged by what was uncovered. But keep in mind, I'm just expressing my point of view.

As to limiting myself from other great thinkers or artists, fair and true point.

Last edited by wktf; 01-14-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #47
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

A mistrial? I don't understand how the jury could have been stuck for so long. From reading about this trial as it's been going on, he actually admitted to giving women quaeludes in order to have sex with them. I may well be missing something but, if he's admitted in court to the actions for which he's been accused, how could this be a mistrial?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/1...al-day-11.html

Old 06-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #48
CessnaDriver
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'm not following this very close but I heard someone on the radio say that probably because the jury has to judge exactly what is presented to them in court of course, so maybe the woman's story willingly taking the pill is a problem?
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #49
nbr3bagshotrow
Mod of the Rings
Super Moderator

Quote:
A mistrial? I don't understand how the jury could have been stuck for so long. From reading about this trial as it's been going on, he actually admitted to giving women quaeludes in order to have sex with them. I may well be missing something but, if he's admitted in court to the actions for which he's been accused, how could this be a mistrial?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/1...al-day-11.html

Got this off the nbc news site.

"Constand, who at the time worked for Temple University, where Cosby was a trustee, says she was "paralyzed" by pills he gave her; he claimed it was just Benadryl and that the encounter was consensual."
Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #50
Demona
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I'm not following this very close but I heard someone on the radio say that probably because the jury has to judge exactly what is presented to them in court of course, so maybe the woman's story willingly taking the pill is a problem?
It's not the willingness to take the pills, because you can be told something is X and take it, while the person doing the drugging really know it's Y. That's just another lie to use in possible conviction. Happens all the time.

The issue came because only two (2) women were allowed to testify out of the 50+ who said they were raped. Jurors of ANY trial are not allowed to consider outside evidence, so even if they knew that there were more accusers from the past, each juror has to pretend -- and convict/acquit -- on that alone. The defense did a solid job of questioning Constand's version of events, along with questioning why she would go back to work alongside Cosby after the incident. So at least one (1) person believed that Constand's story could be false or inaccurate.

A mistrial is a sad state of affairs, but does leave the door open to retry the case. Im sorry, but there is no way that 50+ women who come from all races and walks of life would make up the same story. There is truth in these allegations and it's sickening that Cosby is getting away with it. More sickening that his wife is well aware of what's going on, yet tries to blame media and these women for her husband's predatory nature.

And FTR, I do not discount what Bill Cosby has done for the black community. He has done a lot of amazing work -- but that does not mean he's not a monster. I think some people have a hard time separate Cliff Huxtable -- a character -- from Bill Cosby -- a rapist.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote