Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #581
adee
Green Arrow

Smarter to prey on the uninformed. I get it.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #582
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Smarter to prey on the uninformed. I get it.
Yes, but also favoring new customers over existing is what grows their business.

I don't agree with it, but like I said, most companies do it in some way.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #583
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Ah so they cater to the guy that gives them money once vs the people who have accounts set up and order multiple items per year. Makes sense. When does one become a 'collector'? After two or three purchases?
After the first purchase. Hence that person becomes a collector whom unfortunately is only a small part of the purchasing whole.

-SS
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #584
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
Trust me, there are some characters I LOVE that are just really hard, if not impossible, to get made. You guys have to realize, "collectors" are a small percentage of our purchasing whole, and we have to cater (as a business) to what sells, and that unfortunately means lots of repeaters of the top top guys. Plus, there are lots of contractual obligations, that can be character specific, we have to hold up to that I just cant get into.

And I get it, certain characters US NERDS think of as "top guys" just arnt as much... <ore and more we have to really get selective about what we're going to produce, because there is simply too much competition out there now, and we have to make the most out of our selections.

Magneto, yes, definitely a "top guy" even for the common pop culture dabbler... and I cant confirm or deny that character specifically, but I think some fans will be happy come next year.

Now, back to Thanos... OMG SIDESHOW MIGHT BE MAKING A THANOS!@?!??@!
In Igo we trust! Can't wait in 2017!

JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #585
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Have to go where the sales are. Hot Women in Small Clothing, Batman, Hulk, etc etc. Just outsell everything else.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #586
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
Wait, Sideshow is making a THANOS!?!?! FINALLY! GAH! Now if they'd just make everyone else I want!!!
- Magneto
- Juggernaut
- Omega Red
- Mr Sinister
- MODOK
- Sugar Man
- Egghead

I mean, we're LONG overdue for an Egghead!
Dave, us nerds will be even happier if you make Mr Sinister in 2017!!

JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #587
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Have to go where the sales are. Hot Women in Small Clothing, Batman, Hulk, etc etc. Just outsell everything else.
I would be happy if i never saw another hulk statue from any company lol.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #588
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
I would be happy if i never saw another hulk statue from any company lol.
LOL fat chance of that.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get all the different Batman statues without selling a kidney.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #589
newe82
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Agreed. No doubt there are some collectors who only buy limited editions if the ES is low, but people are SEVERELY overestimating the overall roll edition sizes play in this industry. Sideshow sales over the last 2 years prove that unequivocally.

They already have tripled the edition size on many pieces. In fact, many pieces go WELL BEYOND tripling the ES. Just look at the Wonder Woman PF. It had a total edition size of 9500. And all it takes is a quick look at Sideshow's sales over the last couple of years to see that its had zero negative effect on sales. In fact, its quite the contrary as sales have continued to rise and rise even in spite of much larger edition sizes and higher prices. So there is really no need to wish them luck. Thier already succeeding.
You are missing one critical element in your statement. The "statue bubble" is real. Casual buyers can justify paying these prices to themselves because history has shown they can at least make their money back when they sell. There is no real risk knowing you can make your money back. Over time those days have disappeared. Those casual customers are realizing SS statues are big losers in the aftermarket. There is now risk of not only not making your money back, but losing 50% of the value. Those customers are not going to buy SS again. They might buy XM or Prime 1, but not SS. Every time SS releases a new piece like DP with a huge ES and price it becomes easier to pass. 10 years ago there was no debate. If I liked a SS piece I ordered day 1. 3 years ago I had to start focusing my buying behaviors and only ordered when I absolutely loved a piece. Today, I can love a piece and pass on it without hesitation.
newe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #590
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
1. I totally get what you're saying about wanting/needing to make the top guys over and over (Hulk, Spidey, Batman, etc.). But, with that said, how would you explain characters like Black Cat? She surely can't be a top guy, yet Sideshow has made 4 of her (comiquette, 2 PFs, LSB).
There are two pretty big, obvious reasons...
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote