Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 10-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #231
AlexT
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Sideshow doesn't intend for those 1/2 and 1/1 scale pieces to sell out right away. They're likely targeted to wealthy casuals that are not the typical collectors found here. They may stumble into SS for their first time, be wowed, and buy some decor for their spare rooms. They're also likely not concerned about resale value.

The problem is when the traditional "collectible" category, targeted at the median collector, shifts into this TBD shenanigans, ignoring the fact that scarcity is what made them desirable in the first place.
Collect gold... problem solved.

On the serious note... people are overthinking this. Statue collecting isn't an investment strategy. Nowadays people would be lucky if they break even on resale.

Just get what you like (and can afford...).
AlexT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #232
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexT View Post
Collect gold... problem solved.

On the serious note... people are overthinking this. Statue collecting isn't an investment strategy. Nowadays people would be lucky if they break even on resale.

Just get what you like (and can afford...).
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #233
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Sideshow doesn't intend for those 1/2 and 1/1 scale pieces to sell out right away. They're likely targeted to wealthy casuals that are not the typical collectors found here. They may stumble into SS for their first time, be wowed, and buy some decor for their spare rooms. They're also likely not concerned about resale value.

The problem is when the traditional "collectible" category, targeted at the median collector, shifts into this TBD shenanigans, ignoring the fact that scarcity is what made them desirable in the first place.
For me, I've learned not to view these as "collectibles" at least in terms of making money or even keeping it's value. That's just a losing proposition. For me, they are collectible in terms that they look cool and I want to have them in my collection and that's it. I've learned to tell myself that once a statue is in my hands, it's absolutely worthless to anyone except for me. To this day, I don't know any ESs for my statues off the top of my head nor do I really prioritize the ES. I'd have to look at the packages of my statues or their bases to find the ES. Sure it's nice to have a low ES, but it doesn't bother me if it's high. I see by your name that you're a big Transformers fan. I've actually got an original Megatron G1 MISB in my collection and it never even crossed my mind what the ES was for him. I'm pretty sure Hasbro/Takara made tons of them. I just wanted it in my collection because Transformers reminds me of my childhood. Anytime a company says their stuff is collectible, I know it's definitely not collectible at least in terms of gaining value. I've seen (and will continue to see) it in the past with regards to "collectible" items being pretty much worthless now such as baseball cards, Hummel figurines, Thomas Kinkade paintings, Beanie Babies, Hot Wheels, Cabbage Patch Kids, Franklin Mint collectibles, Pogs, comic books, etc. Next on the chopping block is Funko Pops. They're collectible now but will be worthless in the future just like anything else marketed as "collectible". I've learned over the years to collect not because of ES or monetary value but only collect because you love it and want to have it in your collection.

Let's be honest, these statues we buy are made by a bunch of Chinese factory workers who most likely don't want to be there and are lucky to make maybe $2 an hour if that. These companies selling us these statues don't care if their stuff is collectible as long as they make money (and as much as they can).
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #234
AlexT
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
For me, I've learned not to view these as "collectibles" at least in terms of making money or even keeping it's value. That's just a losing proposition. For me, they are collectible in terms that they look cool and I want to have them in my collection and that's it. I've learned to tell myself that once a statue is in my hands, it's absolutely worthless to anyone except for me. To this day, I don't know any ESs for my statues off the top of my head nor do I really prioritize the ES. I'd have to look at the packages of my statues or their bases to find the ES. Sure it's nice to have a low ES, but it doesn't bother me if it's high. I see by your name that you're a big Transformers fan. I've actually got an original Megatron G1 MISB in my collection and it never even crossed my mind what the ES was for him. I'm pretty sure Hasbro/Takara made tons of them. I just wanted it in my collection because Transformers reminds me of my childhood. Anytime a company says their stuff is collectible, I know it's definitely not collectible at least in terms of gaining value. I've seen (and will continue to see) it in the past with regards to "collectible" items being pretty much worthless now such as baseball cards, Hummel figurines, Thomas Kinkade paintings, Beanie Babies, Hot Wheels, Cabbage Patch Kids, Franklin Mint collectibles, Pogs, comic books, etc. Next on the chopping block is Funko Pops. They're collectible now but will be worthless in the future just like anything else marketed as "collectible". I've learned over the years to collect not because of ES or monetary value but only collect because you love it and want to have it in your collection.

Let's be honest, these statues we buy are made by a bunch of Chinese factory workers who most likely don't want to be there and are lucky to make maybe $2 an hour if that. These companies selling us these statues don't care if their stuff is collectible as long as they make money (and as much as they can).
I think I just found my soul mate.
AlexT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #235
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:

I agree with you as well. My collection is only geared towards what I like and not necessarily what I think it'll be worth down the road. My kids won't be interested in these statues once I'm gone and my wife certainly doesn't care about them either. I've collected many things that you've listed here and they're only worth 'something' to ME and I've sold them as well and rarely have they made me any more money than what I paid for them.

Collecting is a hobby and currently Statue Collecting is my favorite hobby, and it's for the pure love of what they bring me on a personal level that's why I just buy what I can afford and what I truly like. THIS BATMAN ..... I REALLY LIKE so he'll get added in my collection.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #236
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexT View Post
I think I just found my soul mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myskye23 View Post
I agree with you as well. My collection is only geared towards what I like and not necessarily what I think it'll be worth down the road. My kids won't be interested in these statues once I'm gone and my wife certainly doesn't care about them either. I've collected many things that you've listed here and they're only worth 'something' to ME and I've sold them as well and rarely have they made me any more money than what I paid for them.

Collecting is a hobby and currently Statue Collecting is my favorite hobby, and it's for the pure love of what they bring me on a personal level that's why I just buy what I can afford and what I truly like. THIS BATMAN ..... I REALLY LIKE so he'll get added in my collection.
Yeah every time I see something like Marvel, DC, Image, Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Alien, Predator, and Terminator related statues, it reminds me of all the cool stuff I got to see growing up in the 80s. I also remember waking up really early Saturday mornings, getting a big bowl of cereal (along with the toy that came inside the cereal box), and sitting down in front of the TV to watch cartoons until like noon time. Also the arcades!
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #237
letsroy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I completely agree with the latest posts.

Buying what we like, buying what we really like and can afford. That is the way to me.

In terms of value...I don't care but think about this: How many 1/3 batman statues are in the market? how many will be in the future? and how many will be ready to pre order?
Would you pay 3000 or 4000 or even 10000 dollars for THIS Batman 'Master Race' in ten years when you could get a bunch of new statues or new pre orders for a normal prize (whatever would be the prize at that time)?

We have to be honest, most of the actual statues are way better than the statues we had a few years ago (most cases) so probably that will be the same in the future and this bats will worth whatever you want...but nobody will buy it.
letsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #238
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsroy View Post
I completely agree with the latest posts.

Buying what we like, buying what we really like and can afford. That is the way to me.

In terms of value...I don't care but think about this: How many 1/3 batman statues are in the market? how many will be in the future? and how many will be ready to pre order?
Would you pay 3000 or 4000 or even 10000 dollars for THIS Batman 'Master Race' in ten years when you could get a bunch of new statues or new pre orders for a normal prize (whatever would be the prize at that time)?

We have to be honest, most of the actual statues are way better than the statues we had a few years ago (most cases) so probably that will be the same in the future and this bats will worth whatever you want...but nobody will buy it.
To be honest i don't really think statues are going to be that better than this in ten years. There are limits to what can be produced.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #239
Divinesorrow
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post
To be honest i don't really think statues are going to be that better than this in ten years. There are limits to what can be produced.
Yep, also consider factories closing and production costs raising. Even if detail can be improved through technology the factories and production is going to be a major factor that will hinder progress. There’s been talk of working in other countries and opening new factories because of these reasons and even that would be years of effort and could possibly be too little too late.
Divinesorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #240
StatueDiva
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
As long as the statue is awesome, which this is, it shouldn't matter too much if there's no set ES at the beginning of the PO stage. Almost all the Legendary Scale Statue stuff from SS has no set ES either and those statues go for a minimum of $2k.
I mean no offense to this. More power to anyone that is willing to continue to collect and stick to these statues no matter the price, scale, or edition size...

I don't think statues are investments, and I feel that people saying that are only attempting to undermine other people's opinions without fully understanding what they're saying.

This hobby was built on collectibles, like it or not, a big draw of collectibles it that they're rare and cool to look at. Personally, I do not feel compelled to pay $1,000 or even $2,000 for a statue with 1,000 or 2,000 ES, that's absolutely ridiculous.

If Prime 1 wants to make these high end pieces in bulk, then cool. I prefer spending that type of money on something that has far more scarcity. High end is usually synonymous with rare and these are not that. I'm not paying for any statue just for it to drop in value right after release. Yes, I value my collection in how much I like them, rarity, and aftermarket value of each. That is a huge draw for me.

For high rollers out there that can drop $1,000 without thinking about ES, value, and space I applaud you for that.

I'm just not paying that amount of money up front without even knowing how much they're making.
StatueDiva is offline   Reply With Quote