Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: Which of the three characters was portrayed best in the movie X-Men: The Last Stand?
I think Vinnie Jones did an outstanding job playing Juggernaut! 0 0%
Halle Berry played Storm in a cool and convincing way! 0 0%
All eyes on Famke Janssen: her role as Jean Grey / Phoenix was unbelievable! 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Great review....and so true..

Those are some really nice bust you have there!
I like them all but I think I love the Juggernaut the best, for its simplicity, (Even though I'm not a Juggernaut fan) plus the detail on his outfit looks like real leather. I also like that his helmet looks cracked in all different places. The look on is face is great!.

Jean would come in 2nd for me and than Storm, no wait, storm than Jean, no, no that's not right, Storm than Jean. Ok it has to be that both take 2nd place....They are all great work of art IMHO! I've always loved smaller pieces than huge ones but all in its proper space I guess.

I have the Thor bust from GG and its one of my favorite bust! A bit big but all and all excellent execution on it.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Great to see some busts featured in the review section, Rainer.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #13
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your kind comments; I appreciate it!

Omigeo,
Is this the Thor bust which you have in your collection?

If so, Thor does indeed look mighty impressive!

I will do my best to post my verdict about these busts shortly so stay tuned!

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #14
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

My Verdict

Juggernaut: number 64/5000
Jean Grey: number 1415/5000
Storm: 1026/5000

I have said it in the previous edition of the BUSTed!-series and I will say it again: as different as these three busts are from each other, they also have a lot in common.
All three busts are in their own way great representations of the respective characters and each of these busts could rightfully and proudly take their place into the collection of any fan or collector out there.
In my verdict below I will not so much comment on the strengths and flaws of each bust separately but much more compare the busts with each other to see how they score in comparison to each other.
The goal is not to conclude which bust is best (that may be different for all of us) but only to indicate what I like about these busts and where I feel there is possibly room for improvement.
For each criterium I will, if possible, point out one bust which scored the highest and explain why in relation to the other busts.

Of course there is nothing more personal than pointing out the merits and flaws of any statue or bust and your mileage may vary from my scores below.
I will give it my best shot however and hope you will find my views understandable and useful even if you’d feel differently than I do.
Should you feel differently though please let me know and please feel free to let me know as well which bust *YOU* like best!
With that in mind and without further delay ladies and gentlemen, please find below the verdict of the jury:

Sculpt: Juggernaut
Perhaps you know that I am a big fan of The Juggernaut and I therefore looked at all three busts long and hard because I wanted to avoid that my choice
would be based solely on my personal preferences. And let's be honest I like the translucent ring of energy around Jean being an awesome reference to
the Phoenix Force controlling her or the illusion of a stormfront building up when you look at the bust of Storm (the fact that Storm's cape and hair are flowing
in the same direction looks really cool and with a bit of imagination you can almost feel Storm manipulating the mighty winds roaring around her) .
Compared to the busts of Storm and Jean Grey, Juggernauts bust looks a bit plain and simple.
But looks can be deceiving and when taking a closer look at Juggernaut you get an idea of the enormous strength of this big guy.
The bent arms, clenched firsts and slightly forward leaning pose make you realise this is indeed a near unstoppable behemoth powerful enough to smash
through anybody foolish enough to stand in his way. Power and devestation are the words which come to mind when looking at Juggernaut and that sure is no mean feat
for a sculpt which at first looks deceivingly simple and uncomplicated. Jean and Storm are awesomely sculpted in their very own way but Juggernaut really is the icing on the cake.

Paint & Mixed Media: Jean Grey
All three busts are painted flawlessly and I have no complaints whatsoever regarding the respective paintjobs of each busts.
Juggernaut's helmet looks like it's made of of incredibly strong cracked stone whereas his armor looks like it is made of real leather.
Jean and Storm do not look any less impressive though: Storm's tight bodysuit looks like it's made of some hightech material invented by Mr. Fantastic whereas Jean
looks like she is wearing expensive designer clothes emphasizing the beautiful and strong woman that she is.
If you look closely all three busts have their own little treasures but for me Jean's bust is the winner here due to the cleaver usage of the translucent ring of energy around Jean.
It's a little extra the other two busts do not have.
The Phoenix Force is flowing through and around Jean and it makes you realize what an incredibly powerful weapon of mass destruction she has become.
Jean was powerful but with the Phoenix Force she has become almost omnipotent. The materials used in this bust make you realize that awe-inspiring truth and
for that alone Jean's bust is a real winner.

Design: Storm
This was a close call but Storm deserved to win in this category in my humble opinion. Jean looks great but somehow I get the feeling that her arms might be just a tiny bit too long.
Juggernaut looks impressive but even though the bust is sculpted masterfully, the design in itself is groundbreaking original.
What about Storm then? She looks majestic and almost devine while busy controlling the elements and I really like the fact that Storm is standing sideways when looking at her from the front.
It gives this bust a little twist and it makes the bust more exciting to look at. Besides Storm's flowing cape caught by the blowing winds looks perfect and it complements
her powerful stance with her left arm stretched out controlling the storm roaring around her.
The elements are hers to control and you can almost hear the crackling sound of lightning and thunder around her.
Very impressive!

Production & Build Quality: Draw
I would be a little bit careful with Jean's and Ororo's outstretched arms and vingers and with the rind of energy around Jean when picking up or moving their busts but other than that
I believe all three busts are well made and should last you a lifetime if treated with a little bit of TLC.
All three busts feel solid and are made to high quality standards. They might not be as strong as Wolverine's adamantium claws but then again what is?
Treat them with care and respect and these busts will take their proud place in your collections for many, many years to come.

Please feel free to let me know in case you agree or disagree with my views and thank you for reading this review.
More of these reviews will follow in the (near) future so please drop by to check out the review section regularly!

Thanks!
Rainer
Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #15
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your kind comments; I appreciate it!

Omigeo,
Is this the Thor bust which you have in your collection?

If so, Thor does indeed look mighty impressive!

I will do my best to post my verdict about these busts shortly so stay tuned!

Just look at that face!!

Rainer
Yes Yes Yes...My favorite...So much detail and character hands down for me on this bust

Just look at that face!!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
omigeo
Alpha Flight

That was excellent review there Rainer...And yes, I think you nailed it with the review on each. I thought along the same lines as you did with each of these 3 bust...great work

I cannot wait to see what your opinion is on the MIGHTY THOR!!!
That Thor piece is gorgeous in my opinion!! Now that piece is truly a keeper!!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Omigeo,

It's great to see that you are so happy with the Thor MB! It's this enthusiasm, this fire that drives the true collectors and fans and it's what makes this such a great hobby.

I am not sure how you'd feel about it but would not you like to review this bust and share with us what you like about it and what could possibly be improved?
It would be awesome to read more about your view on this great bust and I am certain that you would do a splendid job!

All the best,

Rainer
Old 10-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Rainer! As always I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your review on these busts. I am 100% in agreement that mini busts are not often over looked and just do not get the credit they deserve. I think they can add dimension to a display or act as a stand alone, or in some cases be the focus of someone's collection. I have seen some collections consisting of ONLY mini busts and they can be more impressive than a collection of full sized statues.

While I personally am not a fan of movie rendition statues, I can appreciate the artistry that goes into them and it looks like all of these are done fairly well. For what it's worth, I think the Vinnie Jones one is the best. Partially biased as I'm a big fan of the actor.... and the last name.

P.S. I have some mini busts and I think maybe you have inspired me to review my own. I've always wanted to do a formal review on here but reviewers such as yourself do such a good job I don't know how I could contend. Keep up the good work!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #19
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi MrJones,

Thank you for your kind words; I appreciate it!
I for one would be very interested to read a review from you about one or more of your mini busts and I am certain that many fans and collectors on this great forum would agree with me!

Please do not be shy: you are a valued member of these boards and it would be truly awesome to read your thoughts and view.
I am certain that your review would kick a$$ and that it would be a source of inspiration for all other reviewers and fans alike.

Make it happen MrJones and may the Force be with you to inspire you!

Rainer
Old 10-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #20
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Oh Darn, I'm not good in doing reviews on things like this, but I will certain give it a try hopefully soon. I will certainly start with Thor.