XM Studios Batman Samurai Review

Batman Samurai 1/4 Scale Statue
by XM Studios

Released: November 2016
Edition Size: 999
Product Size: 25.5" H x 21" W x 14" D
Product Weight: approx. 25 lbs.
Design Team:
XM Studios, HMO and Studio Hive (Creators and Designers)
Suheryanto Hatmaja (Sculpt)
Hive Studio (Art Print)
XM Studios Design and Development Team

Original Retail Price: $990 SGD plus shipping

Please watch the video review HERE

Batman Fun Facts:
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 210 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
First Appearance: Detective Comics 27 (May 1939)
Trivia: Batman has no actual super powers, unless you count being awesome...in that case, he's extremely powerful!

Sculpt: 9.5 / 10

Mr. Suheryanto Hatmaja, the master behind XM's Magneto and upcoming Optimus Prime, spared nothing on this amazing rendition of Batman. Literally every square inch of this statue has be carefully attended to. The complexity of the suit is skillfully depicted...countless straps, buckles, plates, stitching etc. are visible throughout, somehow blending a futuristic look with a medieval samurai. Take a moment to look over the sword hilts, the batarangs, the katana blades and on and on...you will be mesmerized by how much thought went into this statue. Truly magnificent, and I have not even discussed the base yet! In an effort to not drone on and on, I will let the photos below do the rest of the talking here.

I only deduct based on the unmasked portrait...it's not at all bad, but is just slightly below the level on the rest of the statue.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9.0 / 10

Batman's armour blends black and gun metal/pewter with dark gold accents and brown straps to give it just the right amount of pop. Batman has never been known as a bright character, so the chosen colours lend themselves well to the dark, brooding atmosphere that typically surrounds the Dark Knight. Of course, the paint application is top notch, with very clean lines and colour transitions.

The colour palette used on the base leaves a little bit to be desired for me. Painted mostly gray with some gold and brown accents, the base kind of fades into the background. Understandably, Batman is the main attraction here, but I believe that some properly inserted colour on the base could have shown off just how awesome it is without taking away from Master Wayne.

One cool touch is that all of the "Rage Mode" accessories have red accents...the red really adds a lot of pop to the statue!

Overall, though, another top end paint application from XM.

Design: 10 / 10

Having been around since 1939, it's not often we see an original take on the Batman. XM has managed to pull it off here, though, and it's clear to see that this statue was a labour of love. A conglomerate of industry experts from HMO, Studio HIVE, and XM combined their artistic prowess to design this unique interpretation from scratch. The amount of thought and effort that went into this piece is evident and it is truly astounding. It's not often that I am blown away in the fashion that I was upon unboxing this masterpiece. Traditional Samurai elements are mixed seamlessly with Batman lore, it's almost as if it was meant to be! It is truly remarkable what can be accomplished when the effort is put in. Many people were skeptical of the Samurai theme...after all, Batman is arguably the most beloved comic book character of all time, but this magnificent team of artists have definitely pulled off something amazing here. Well done!

The statue comes with a dizzying array of display options: 5 portraits (full samurai, half samurai, rage mode, unmasked and "regular" Batman), 4 right arms (katana, rage mode batarang, grapnel gun, and open empty hand), 5 left arms (katana, rage mode katana, regular batarang, empty open hand, and clenched fist), two chest plates (regular and rage mode), and two sets of shoulder pads (large samurai pads and small "regular" pads)...put that all together and you can have at least 400 unique display options...more if you want to display without the cape (although I do not count the no cape option, as there is a hole in his back to hold the cape in place). This statue is the new industry standard in terms of customization and display options. Ensure you have at least a few hours upon unboxing to cycle through various options until you find the one you like.

Production & Build Quality: 10 / 10

XM has established a reputation of providing consumers with hefty statues with a high quality look and feel. Well, sorry to say that this piece is no different. All parts fit snug and secure, and all pieces feel substantial and well made. Sword blades and batarangs are made of metal, and each looks very slick when on display.

The cape, as most capes are, was a little tricky to put on. I had better success putting the cape on the body prior to putting the body on the base. Be extra careful with the portions of the cape that rest on top of the shoulders...don't want to snap them off. Just something to keep in mind. There are foam pads installed where the cape touches the body, and there are spare pads included in the box.

A portfolio is included in the box that explains the design concept, the elements of Japanese and Samurai culture that were mixed in, and also a quick Q & A with several of the lead designers. I actually sat down and read through the entire thing before assembling the statue...it's actually that interesting. Don't cast this aside, there is some very illuminating information inside!

Not much more to elaborate on here...it's a top notch quality piece.

Overall: 9.6 / 10

As noted above, the amount of thought and effort instilled in this Batman statue is overwhelmingly evident the minute you open the lid of the box. The VAST amount of display options is just incredible...almost mind boggling! I wonder if anyone out there will actually sort through every possible display option...kudos to you if you take the time!

I cannot recommend this statue enough. Whether you are a Batman fan, a Samurai fan, or just a fan of interesting art, there is something for you here.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Bmutha

Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Will you be posting pics of all of the display options, with and without the cape?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Will you be posting pics of all of the display options, with and without the cape?
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I was going to, but since I'm limited to 10 pics per post, it's out of my hands...
Old 12-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

I love it. GREAT pictures Kris.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Great video review. Magnificent pictures!

I can't wait to get mine in a few weeks.
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
jcasalone
A day without sunshine is like... night.

That looks amazing. Thank you for the video and all the photos, Bmutha.
jcasalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Great video! My 7 year old thought the costume changes were awesome!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote