Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 06-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

DC Universe Online

Here's the artical in Eurogamer

New DC Universe Online details emerge

Some new details have emerged of DC Universe Online, the new PC and PS3 MMO in development at Sony Online Entertainment.

In this month's Edge magazine, executive creative director Jim Lee describes DC Universe as a "kick-ass hybrid between a traditional MMO and a first-person action console game".

You'll get to create your own superhero or villain, choosing their particular powers, according to the Edge article. So you'll decide whether to attack using fire or ice, for example, and move around using acrobatics or the power of flight. Other potential abilities mentioned in the article include speed-running and teleportation.

As with a traditional MMO your character will level up as you progress, and you'll develop your powers. When the game starts you might be able to fly, but only later will you learn how to pull off specific moves and attacks in mid-air.

Although you don't get to "be" any of the famous DC characters, you do get to interact with them. That might mean you end up saving Superman from being stabbed with a shard of kryptonite by Lex Luthor. Or, if you're a villain, you could cause carnage by chucking cars around downtown Metropolis, thereby encouraging the boy in blue to turn up and fight you.

Metropolis is one of two large shared environments revealed so far, the other being Gotham City. Unlike World of Warcraft, DC Universe will be comprised of a mix of these environments and separate instances. And while there will still be instances and raids, the emphasis will be on fast-paced action rather than grinding.

There will be PvP arenas, and you'll be able to make use of your superpowers and those of others in interesting ways. For example, someone might freeze your character in a block of ice, then pick up the block and chuck it at another player. In some instances, PvP fights will end up turning into giant PvE boss battles.

In the future, it's possible we could see models, environments and costumes from the game turning up in other DC Comics properties, and there are plans for plot crossovers. "We can tie-in future DC tentpole events and translate the stories for the gaming world, and have them occur simultaneously," said Lee. "The possibilities are numerous and very exciting."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=161093
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i am glad to see that this is still on since marvel scrapped there online game

only negative is the leveling up. its the only thing i didnt like about city of heroes. heores should be able to help anyone and should have to care about helping anyone no matter the level.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

i can't wait to get my first "Get out of my city" it will be awesome.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Brru
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

this sounds identical to city of heroes though. Hopefully they will push the envelope a little.
Brru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

E3 2008: Jim Lee talks DC Universe Online: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=17231

Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
abarron
Batman

Sounds kinda cool.
Wasn't the Marvel Universe canned??
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Sounds kinda cool.
Yep, they cancelled it.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
i am glad to see that this is still on since marvel scrapped there online game

only negative is the leveling up. its the only thing i didnt like about city of heroes. heores should be able to help anyone and should have to care about helping anyone no matter the level.
i don't see that as a negative, Batman didn't save the world his first day on the job, hell even Superman didn't. so it only makes sense a "mew" hero would need to get used to his powers before taking down the big boys.

and for the record city of heroes was a great game that really did a good job capturing the feel of most of the powers, so if this game comes out like CoH did i can see myself playing it
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Sounds kinda cool.
Actually its not, well its not Marvel Online anymore. They kept the game engine and are calling it Champions Online.

http://www.champions-online.com
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
Red X
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Sounds cool. Looks terrible.
Red X is offline   Reply With Quote