Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Statue Review:

Sculpture: This Bowen scale piece comes in two pieces, i.e., Spiderman and the castle. The assembly is easy and the fit is quite sturdy. Everything stays in place. I absolutely love the height of this piece. It remains in scale while simultaneously distinguishing itself by looming over most other statues, just like Spiderman would in the comics. It stands out as a refreshing change of pace from the museum poses we often see from some of the other statue companies.

Paint: Excellent. I've had this displayed for easily over 10 years without any issue with regards to paint chippings, cracks or dullying of color.

Base: While the castle base is somewhat on the simplistic side, taken together, it works really well as the eye centers on Spiderman, as it should.

Accuracy: This piece is based on Charles Vess' cover artwork for the Spirits of the Earth graphic novel which was originally published in 1991. Bombyx did a great job in capturing the feel of Vess' story.

The negative: The castle base could have used a bit more detail and finesse. It almost looks like one of my son's fisher price toys. Also, the webbing on Spiderman costume lacks finesse as well, as if it was done by someone not accustomed to drawing Spiderman.

As far as Bowen scale pieces go, this one has always been among my favorites. Highly recommended.

Pics were taken in April 2011 with a Canon Powershot digital camera. I was tempted to take a whole new series of shots with my new Nikon. Thankfully, the older Canon camera still managed to capture the visual appeal of the design.

Grade: 8.5/10 - A rating
Funny I was thinking the same thing while looking at the awesome pics !
Nice review Charles
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Is the webbing carved/sculpted in, or is it just painted on?
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #13
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I think the base would be much improved if the paint were stripped off (acetone?) and then a better, more realistic paint applied.
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEYE View Post
Is the webbing carved/sculpted in, or is it just painted on?
Most often, it feels sculpted on.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote