Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Yea, but it depends on what you're going to NYCC for. If you want commissions, you're fighting with more people. If you want statues, celebs, and tons of non art booths -- then SDCC and NYCC are where it's at. I would go the NYCC to meet the XM Crew. Shake a few hands. Thank them for giving the XMen some love. And I'd love to see SS prototype pieces in person.

Art is my first love. So the shorter line rides and better odds at being chosen for a commission are why I like Baltimore. Also ticket prices are much more reasonable
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #12
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Yea, but it depends on what you're going to NYCC for. If you want commissions, you're fighting with more people. If you want statues, celebs, and tons of non art booths -- then SDCC and NYCC are where it's at.

Art is my first love. So the shorter line rides and better odds at being chosen for a commission are why I like Baltimore. Also ticket prices are much more reasonable
That is a good point. I've never been to a Comic Con, but I'd be curious as to what artist are where.

You have an examples of art you've had done at a con?
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I think it's pretty well established at this point that NY and SD are the 2 biggest shows of the year in the US. I'm sure it costs them quite a lot to haul everything they need to these shows so they're going to be pretty selective about it. 1 show on each of the 2 coasts a year is enough for them to do what they're trying to do.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
I think it's pretty well established at this point that NY and SD are the 2 biggest shows of the year in the US. I'm sure it costs them quite a lot to haul everything they need to these shows so they're going to be pretty selective about it. 1 show on each of the 2 coasts a year is enough for them to do what they're trying to do.
I'd guess looking at least fifteen grand to be at either of those shows.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #15
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I can tell you that no big statue companies have ever been to Baltimore ComiCon. I have gone several time to Baltimore and haven't seen them. BUT Baltimore is a great show to get commissions, art, and such. Highly recommend going if you've never been. Parking is easy too.
10 or so years back, when Clay Moore was sculpting statues & was part of the big 3-4 statue companies (Bowen/Sideshow/) MooreCreations did have a booth in Baltimore at the con. He produced out of Maryland before he moved his company to TX.

Still, as Demona mentioned, Baltimore is a great pure comic con to this day. You can meet everyone there.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Here's my CAF Page....

https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...asp?GCat=72679

Some of the pieces I've had done while strolling around the Baltimore ComiCon are: all my David Finch pieces (Storm comic cover, Ivy/Harley, Ivy), Randy Green's She-Ra, Stephane Roux's Storm, Sara Richard's Poison Ivy, and Billy Tan's Angelus.

Several pieces I got on the artist's list for Baltimore because they only take a "pre-con, pick up at the show" list. Those people usually also don't do home commissions. Art examples of a pre-con variety are: Chrissie Zullo's Storm and Poison Ivy, Dave Hoover's She-Ra, and Michael Dooney's Storm. I also prearranged my Mark Brooks She-Ra commission, but don't have that scanned to CAF.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote