Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Home made silly putty

Has anyone ever tried the home made silly putty recipe's?
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

never tried it and prob never will, id be to afraid to mix it wrong and then put it on a statue and then run into massive issues. So far using crayola bought sill putty has worked wonders for me for years, so if its not broke don't fix it.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
jy90274
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

http://www.crayolastore.com/product/12060

It's $80 for a big ol' pile of the real stuff. Seems pricey, and I honestly don't know if I'll ever go through all of it in my lifetime.

Here's an article that shows you (with pictures) 5 different ways of making the stuff. As Vince Vell says, it's quite possible you won't always get the desired results.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Silly-Putty
jy90274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Might be fun to experiment with. I don't imagine most of those ingredients would be harmful to a project. Although I would avoid adding any food coloring. I'm sure one would work much better than the others,... but I don't know which. If you try it, do so on something you can put at risk. Then let us know what you discover.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

i always tell people if a 5 lb brick it to much get some other painters in on a brick and split it up. For me a brick lasted me like 5 years, since you can keep using it over and over till its a total glob of paint.

Well worth the cash for a stress free reusable masking medium.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
jsoex
Justice League

I've made the home-made silly putty before in one of my college chemistry labs (I have a degree in Materials Science). Most Organic Chemistry courses teach students how to make silly putty because it teaches them about polymers.

The home-made stuff isn't as good as the real Silly Putty. The home-made stuff is stiffer and more rubbery than Silly Putty, it doesn't stick as well Silly Putty, and it doesn't last as long (perhaps months for the homemade stuff versus decades for real Silly Putty). I didn't do an extensive comparison test involving the two putties, but based on my limited experience with the home-made putty (couple of days), I'd give it a 4/10 rating, versus 9/10 rating for the real Silly Putty. The real Silly Putty sticks better, is more shapeable, is more stretchable (it can be stretched paper-thin, whereas the homemade stuff can't), and it lasts much longer than the homemade stuff.

When I paint kits, I use the real putty because it's easier to use. Technically, the putty I use is a less expensive, copycat version called "Fun Putty" or "Wow-O Putty" (I can't remember the actual name) that only costs $1 per "egg". Five "eggs" (=$5) has lasted me years (I only build about five kits per year, plus I only use it in small, tight areas). You might be able to find some of the copycat putties at Walmart or at a dollar store. I like saving money like everybody else, but I haven't found the need to be super cheap and make my own silly putty when my cheap, copycat silly putty works great (I'd give it a 9/10 rating as well).

It's probably possible to make better versions of the homemade silly putty with different ingredients, but I haven't tried it.
jsoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

good info jsoex on the home made stuff.

never tried the no name stuff but then again i find a 5 lb brick for $80 is worth it from crayola. Plus I'm so used it now, i know what it can and can't do with certain paints and chemicals id not go thru learning it all over again with a different brand.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
afreeman
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Thanks for the input guys, I did find some knockoff putty which seems very similar to silly putty, I'll prob try to make some for the heck of it, but stay with the real deal to paint with, thanks again!
afreeman is offline   Reply With Quote