Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 02-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Rogue
I wear the pants around here
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
That I could understand, but he said "cases of unopened boxes", which to me meant the boxes themselves were still shrink wrapped. If he meant boxes of unopened packs which have been picked through, then yeah, it makes sense.
Hopefully he meant unopened packs. If someone out there is resealing cases/boxes that would be messed up, but you never know.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
That I could understand, but he said "cases of unopened boxes", which to me meant the boxes themselves were still shrink wrapped. If he meant boxes of unopened packs which have been picked through, then yeah, it makes sense.
Yep, misprint. Sorry about that. I meant to say unopened packs because only the sketch was removed. I do not recall those sketches from the 90's but it's probably because they were in sets I didn't collect. Anyway, it's an irritating reality. The only reasonable approach I see for myself is to just forget those. Now, it might make more sense for the average collector if you could get them in individual packs as the average collector can't always afford to buy whole boxes at a time. Think Wonka and the golden tickets. Everyone has a chance even if they buy one pack. But the one per box favors the major collectors only who really just buy and flip.

I'm going to sit back with my beer meister tonight and contemplate this a little more. Perhaps I'm not seeing the silver lining in the cloud? You can get a fairly cheap basic and insert set of cards because so many flippers buy whole cases just to raid the boxes for the sketch cards. Never look a gift horse in the Ebay?
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEng1 View Post
Yeah, I love collecting the Marvel card sets and I'm just going to have to resolve myself to the idea that the sketch cards aren't part of those sets. It just feels like unfinished work to leave the sets incomplete as a collector.

I wouldn't mind the 1:1 so much if they made reprints of it for the rest of us. The hardcore would be happy cause they have the original signed card and artwork and we'd be happy cause we could complete the set. Like having a reprint of the Starry Night, it doesn't diminish the value of the original at all, it just gives the rest of us the chance to own a great art work.

There certainly are enough insert sets to keep me chasing and I suppose since the sketch cards came along, getting boxes of unopened packs of cards is cheaper than ever. Lots of people buying cases of cards just to get the sketch cards. One of my all time favorite sets is the 94 Marvel Fleer Flair. Why? One insert set of 18 cards, that's all. Very nice card set, good looking and attainable insert set. I hated some of the 90's card set inserts. You had some that were the exact same card just gold, metal, prism. No different art work, just different foil on them. Sigh, that was the pinnacle of laziness on their part and the end for me for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
The copy idea is not bad – sounds like a win-win to me.
Actually, the copy idea of the sketch cards is a terrible idea. Artists get paid next to nothing for producing 1 of a kind original artwork for these sets as it is. Do you think card compaines would want to pay the artists extra for making prints of the sketch card artwork? If the card companies decided to make copies of the sketch cards and insert them into packs, that would be a breach of contract. It's the same reason why us artists cannot produce prints of our Marvel licensed work, it would be a breach of contract. The hardcore collectors wouldn't like the fact that the sketch cards in their collections have been mass produced. That's why it's called a "One of a kind sketch card". Mass produced artwork is best left for the base cards.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

A set of the MArvel 96 18 pack box recently went on ebay for nearly $900!!

you can see most of the cards here
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
CompEng1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Actually, the copy idea of the sketch cards is a terrible idea. Artists get paid next to nothing for producing 1 of a kind original artwork for these sets as it is. Do you think card compaines would want to pay the artists extra for making prints of the sketch card artwork? If the card companies decided to make copies of the sketch cards and insert them into packs, that would be a breach of contract. It's the same reason why us artists cannot produce prints of our Marvel licensed work, it would be a breach of contract. The hardcore collectors wouldn't like the fact that the sketch cards in their collections have been mass produced. That's why it's called a "One of a kind sketch card". Mass produced artwork is best left for the base cards.
I feel for you on that front mate. I'm looking at this purely from the standpoint of someone who would love to have all of the cards from your set as part of his card collection. Can't blame a guy for recognizing some cool art and wanting it in his card set. I certainly don't expect or want the artists to get the shaft in the deal or they'd stop doing the work. Just a selfish man's desire to own them all! Cheers mate!

It must bum you out that people flip your work on ebay and probably make a lot more than you got paid to produce them? Not sure if you do commission work or even can under Marvel contract?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
joy_division

some of the prices that the SWG7 sketch cards have been going for ar ridiculous!!

But maybe that's because they have just been released.

There is one card that I am watching from SWG6 that is $25 but another seller is selling the exact same card - same pose but the same artist except this is SWG7 - for $250.

I think the SWG7 may have a bit more colour in it, although that might just be the scan
Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEng1 View Post
I feel for you on that front mate. I'm looking at this purely from the standpoint of someone who would love to have all of the cards from your set as part of his card collection. Can't blame a guy for recognizing some cool art and wanting it in his card set. I certainly don't expect or want the artists to get the shaft in the deal or they'd stop doing the work. Just a selfish man's desire to own them all! Cheers mate!

It must bum you out that people flip your work on ebay and probably make a lot more than you got paid to produce them? Not sure if you do commission work or even can under Marvel contract?
The card companies compensate and offset the low sketch card pay with blank artist proof cards in which the artists will sell to anyone interested in getting a commission. For example, I sell one Rittenhouse uncut artist proof for $400.00 in which the person buying it can have any Marvel character of their choice drawn on it in full color with full background. Any additional characters on the same card is a extra $50.00 per character. I never have a problem selling my AP's.

I also do commission work on my own personal sketch cards at a much cheaper rate.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
The copy idea is not bad – sounds like a win-win to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Actually, the copy idea of the sketch cards is a terrible idea.
well excuuuuuuse me ... I am putting you in my book!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
CompEng1

Quote:
well excuuuuuuse me ... I am putting you in my book!

Hilarious!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
joy_division

Star Wars Galaxy 7 has lots of chase cards. I didn't bother getting a box for series 6 as the collafoil bronzetion for box 5 was AWFUL and I didn't get one of the promised sketch cards so instead I got a master set containing all chase cards (minus gold foil) and a sketchcard

The breakdown of the box I got was:

24 packs

1 sketch card(1/24)
8 silver foil cards (1/8)
4 foil etched cards (1/6)
1 foil bronze (1/24)
1 foil gold (1/48) - didn't get this one