Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 07-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
SammyG
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Custom Kryptonite Spear - Armoured Batman Premium Format

Thought I'd share a render of a custom Kryptonite spear I'm making for the Armoured Batman PF.

Spear from metal (either CNC machined, or SLS), kryptonite from glow-in-the-dark & fluorescent resin. Will update as I move forward.

Mods: I don't know if a thread exists for this statue or not. If so, please move accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dc-comics-batman-v-superman-armored-batman-premium-format-300401-161.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	96793   Click image for larger version

Name:	dc-comics-batman-v-superman-armored-batman-premium-format-300401-08.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	96794   Click image for larger version

Name:	dc-comics-batman-v-superman-armored-batman-premium-format-300401-07.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	96795  
SammyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
SammyG

Quick update on the custom 1:4 kryptonite spear project for the upcoming BvS Armoured Batman PF.

Material testing has begun. I have sourced two 1:4 scale prints in acrylate and stainless steel (still working on finding someone who will machine one out of aluminum). The 3D model is very highly detailed and I think it is reflected in the pics, albeit, with some artifacts from the 3D printing process. This measures in at about 18.5" in length, and is based on the actual spear as shown in the DC Universe display at WB studios (many applause go to Ruben for his ridiculously good modelling).

Attached are a few pics and comments below:

Stainless Steel: This is problematic, and not only due to the weight (magnets would have trouble holding it in the final design). There is a marked difference in texture between the two ends of the model. In addition, the 3D printing of metal is delicate, and there is some warping at the spear end which does not allow the spear tip to be inserted. Also, due to the resolution of printing metal, the point at the back-end of the spear had to be dulled quite a lot. So overall, I'm not pleased with this.

Acrylate: Incredible details due to better print resolution. However, it's flimsy. Easy to bend. Again there is a texture difference between the two ends of the spear, which I'm not happy with.

Next steps: Obviously, I'm still searching for someone to machine one on a sliding head CNC at reasonable cost. Failing that, which I think is highly likely, I'll look to go a more traditional route and have it printed and cast from solid resin. More updates to come as I move forward with this project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC1983 (1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	97610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	97611   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1974 (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	97612   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1977 (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	97613   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1980 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	97614  

Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
SammyG

WIP update on the kryptonite spear project.

Metal will not work. It's very upsetting to concede the point, but CNC machining is too costly, and the details at the "business end" of the spear make it tremendously challenging to set up the tool path, making it even more expensive than it already is.

SO... we're moving forward with resin. Below are some photos just to show the WIP's on the paint. We're not there, yet, but making progress.

Couple of points:
1. The spear tip will be translucent resin with glow-powder mixed in. The current glow powder doesn't play well with the resin, nor the paint, so we have a new powder on the way, and will iron out the best recipe to get the tip looking properly (complete with more dry-brushing to highlight the surface details).
2. This spear is a mock up using an old model I had printed. It appears bent, but rest assured, the final version will be printed on a Stratasys with MED material that is hyper-stiff to prevent length distortions

Once I get a final version of the painted spear, I'll use the proper channels to seek interest for anybody wishing to pick one up for the Armoured Batman PF. Clearly, we still need the statue to properly sculpt the switch out hand, but at least the spear will be ready to roll soon.

PM with any questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	File_002.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	100420   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	100421   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	100422  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

This is a cool custom. IF I was getting the armored Batman (which I'm not), I'd look into this.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #5
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

On board, thanks.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
SammyG

Okay everyone, here's the final prototype with paint.

Couple of points:

- The spear tip here looks a bit different from what will be produced. We were attempting to dope in some glow powder to get a glowing effect, but the powder did not suspend appropriately. So we'll move forward with a translucent resin with some added dry brushing for the surface details.
- This will have a fully sculpted hand holding the spear for switching. We'll need the statue in-hand to move forward with engineering and producing this part of the switch out.
- Will be solid cast in resin. Comes fully painted, and packaged. Manufactured in the US.

Limited to 25 pieces. PM me for more information.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3544.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	101479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3546.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	101480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3545.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	101481  
Old 01-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

This looks damn amazing. I had told myself had they included something like this with the PF, id order for sure. Now I'm put between a rock and a hard place.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Whats up Sammy!
Shipping this month, where we at on this?
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
SammyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Whats up Sammy!
Shipping this month, where we at on this?
Prototype spear done. Unfortunately that's where it stands. Need the statue in-hand to get the hand sculpted to hold the spear done in proper scale then off for casting as one piece. However, I noticed that the non-ex hand is somewhat open so I am praying that it might accommodate the spear... hopefully I can show that off in my video review. And if so, get on with casting and bring the price down a bit.

I still haven't received my notice! C'mon Sideshow!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
SammyG

Quick update...

Prototype spear looks incredible with this piece. FAR SUPERIOR to the grenade launcher. It captures the intent behind the leaning-in pose. In fact, when assessing the non-exclusive hand, I suspect that there was a spear all along, but that DC said "no", as to not spoil any of the movie-goers.

Notes:
- This is a flimsy print from Shapeways. So there is some bending visible. Also some breakage at the "tip" end where the kryptonite inserts. Clearly, this will be fixed when produced.
- Spear is undersized by about 5%. Had to MacGyver up a metal "S" to hold it firm in his hand. Will scale up for production. Good news, is that I don't think we'll need a new hand... at most, a small "S" clip (which is invislbe) to hold it... and therefore, cheaper! Woo!
- Video review coming soon.

Let me know what you guys think. Going to production soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC2502.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	105108