Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #291
Aquaman
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

After the Superman mishap they did, Batman was slightly better, but far from great. I really disliked his base. It looked like plastic and molded as opposed to sculpted. The WW figure is better but I have some issues.

These are "museum" pieces? I thought the comment..."what museum would have these" was a good one. If DC puts it out there that these are that quality I think they need to be better. Again, I think this is the better of the 3.

1. her face & crown...it is off. Too long and slightly off proportions. Looks a bit "tranny" like! The crown seems awful big proportionately. It is almost as big as her face!

2. the cape around the neck...I love WW with a cape...regal and fitting, but if this is supposed to be best quality then all proportions should be that. If u wore a cape with that wide and amount of fabric around ur neck u would surely choke! (see above pic)

3. the boot heel...whats up with that heel!!!! A stiletto bent like that is completely wrong. Both the style and height and the way they bent it is way off

4. the scabbard...for this price, to badly paint that detail is unforgivable. It should be leather wrapping it. And also, the leather belt that holds the scabbard and sword is waaaay off...it should be wider to hold this.

5. the paint on the props...this may be "weathering" but looks like a poor job to me. I may be wrong here but looks like a cheapo paint job

Now, again, i think this is the best of the 3, but if this was a full statue I think we would be examining it this close. I do think the pose is dynamic though.

Just my op!
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #292
pppccclll
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
After the Superman mishap they did, Batman was slightly better, but far from great. I really disliked his base. It looked like plastic and molded as opposed to sculpted. The WW figure is better but I have some issues.

These are "museum" pieces? I thought the comment..."what museum would have these" was a good one. If DC puts it out there that these are that quality I think they need to be better. Again, I think this is the better of the 3.

1. her face & crown...it is off. Too long and slightly off proportions. Looks a bit "tranny" like! The crown seems awful big proportionately. It is almost as big as her face!

2. the cape around the neck...I love WW with a cape...regal and fitting, but if this is supposed to be best quality then all proportions should be that. If u wore a cape with that wide and amount of fabric around ur neck u would surely choke! (see above pic)

3. the boot heel...whats up with that heel!!!! A stiletto bent like that is completely wrong. Both the style and height and the way they bent it is way off

4. the scabbard...for this price, to badly paint that detail is unforgivable. It should be leather wrapping it. And also, the leather belt that holds the scabbard and sword is waaaay off...it should be wider to hold this.

5. the paint on the props...this may be "weathering" but looks like a poor job to me. I may be wrong here but looks like a cheapo paint job

Now, again, i think this is the best of the 3, but if this was a full statue I think we would be examining it this close. I do think the pose is dynamic though.

Just my op!
All the nitpicking in this thread is getting old. Go whine somewhere else.
pppccclll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #293
Batman29
Sinister Six
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppccclll View Post
Nitpicking? I don't think so. Aquaman is paying attention to details. From small ones to display ones, and for a serious collector like me, this is important. And I happen to agree with his opinion and constructive remarks. Thanks Aquaman.

I have received my WW, and I have to say, it looks 10 times better than in the box and countless times better then the SM. DC is getting better, they still have a little ways to go. IMO, the BM and WW are pretty good starts, and they are quality enough to make my display standards ESPECIALLY since they are the only ones out there. It gets easier to compare when there are more of them out there, but for now these are it, and the two of the three make the grade to display standard.
Batman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #294
Aquaman

Quote:
WOW!

I thought this forum was about collecting and all that goes along with it. I thought we were here to give feedback. And as I said in the post this is just my opinion. I am not trying to "whine"

Guess feedback is NOT welcome on the board by some after all.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #295
DC_Universe_Grl
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
It is just getting frustrating for people who love the piece to hear everyone point out minor flaws in their opionion. Not every piece is perfect, especially for DCD.
DC_Universe_Grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #296
Aquaman

Well, I wasn't trying to pick out flaws just for the sake. Collecting statues is a passion and I think this is the place to explore that. "Minor" is relative to what we consider "minor". To some it is ok to have "minor" flaws, to others those flaws are not so "minor". I think this kind of feedback is why I came to this forum in the first place. Both good and bad help all of us decide whether a piece is one we want for our collections. We all have different wants and needs.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #297
Batman29
Sinister Six
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
WOW!

I thought this forum was about collecting and all that goes along with it. I thought we were here to give feedback. And as I said in the post this is just my opinion. I am not trying to "whine"

Guess feedback is NOT welcome on the board by some after all.
Hey Aquaman, don't take the nitpicking comment personally. As I have just finished posting, I support your comments. That does not mean I agree with all of them, some of them or none of them. It means you provided a constructive opinion feedback.

I am finding that few people are a little sensative to the fact that Marvel is churning out more spectacular sculpts than not, whether they be through SS, Bowen, or HH. DC has had it's share of great ones, it is just that they are small in number compared to others I have just mentioned.

Keep your feedback on sculpts proactive with pics and let the few who comeback whining about the whining roll off.
Batman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #298
Aquaman

Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #299
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

why does DC have to make these mix media when they have a perfectly good sculpt?-just produce it 1/4 size
the way I see it, a lot of the problems has to do with the materials IMO
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #300
cdncapedcrusadr
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:

Just my op!
The face/tiara and boots are artistic license that Mr. Bergholtz and whoever the art director saw fit. It is unfair to bemoan this aspect of the piece as it is up to the artist to do what they feel will best convey what they are going for. They are not a "mistake" or qc/production issue. It is no different than the size of the "ears" on a Batman piece or the "S" on Superman.

The detail on the scabbard is actually sculpted and not simply painted on. The paint application is also such that it gives it a faux leather look. The leather belt holding the scabbard is fine as well as it looks to be the appropriate thickness to hold the sword. Also to make it thicker would interfere with the Gold belt on the costume and the star pattern on her garment making it look way too busy.

The paint job on the axe is also intentional; in fact the entire piece is very, very well painted.
cdncapedcrusadr is offline   Reply With Quote