Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #461
rychehitman
Galactus

I am currently reading a biography on American President Rutherford B. Hayes with my sons for a school project. My kids are direct descendants of President Hayes through my wife’s side of the family. We actually live in the same town in Ohio where he was born. The location of the house he was born in is now a gas station that I frequent from time to time. Pretty strange to think he was in the same town as we are now. It is inspirational to my kids that someone from their family that lived in the same town they live in went on to become President of the United States. Well, my son anyway…I’ll be sure to tell my daughters that girls cannot be President. Just kidding
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #462
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
I am currently reading a biography on American President Rutherford B. Hayes with my sons for a school project. My kids are direct descendants of President Hayes through my wife’s side of the family. We actually live in the same town in Ohio where he was born. The location of the house he was born in is now a gas station that I frequent from time to time. Pretty strange to think he was in the same town as we are now. It is inspirational to my kids that someone from their family that lived in the same town they live in went on to become President of the United States. Well, my son anyway…I’ll be sure to tell my daughters that girls cannot be President. Just kidding
That's pretty cool that you are related to a President and that you can share that with your kids. Very neat.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #463
protector2814
Phoenix

The Silver Warriors by Michael Moorc0ck -

One of the more obscure Eternal Champions, I love Count Urlic Skarsol. Torn away from pure happiness as another champion, Urlic wakes up in a frozen earth, that I feel is Conrad Arflane's (The Ice Schooner)frozen world some millenia later. Here's something I only just picked up after forgetting (I probably read my copy 30 years ago) that isn't the Silver Warrior on the cover, that's Count Urlic, who will kill the Silver Wariors. Reading this makes me just wanna commit, and re-read all the Eternal Champion books again. I recently finished all 6 Corum books, so I guess Count Brass and Dorian Hawkmoon are next.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #464
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just bought Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars", but I don't have much free time at the moment.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #465
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
The Silver Warriors by Michael Moorc0ck -

One of the more obscure Eternal Champions, I love Count Urlic Skarsol. Torn away from pure happiness as another champion, Urlic wakes up in a frozen earth, that I feel is Conrad Arflane's (The Ice Schooner)frozen world some millenia later. Here's something I only just picked up after forgetting (I probably read my copy 30 years ago) that isn't the Silver Warrior on the cover, that's Count Urlic, who will kill the Silver Wariors. Reading this makes me just wanna commit, and re-read all the Eternal Champion books again. I recently finished all 6 Corum books, so I guess Count Brass and Dorian Hawkmoon are next.
The Silver Warriors, The Ice Schooner... Oh wow, now you're bringing back some memories. Yeah, those lesser-known Moorcock novels were a lot of fun.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #466
protector2814
Phoenix

I recently visited Moorc0ck's home page and dug around for an in-order, complete list on all the Eternal Champion books. I thought I had a pretty substantial collection, but have found out I'm missing a lot.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #467
Babytoxie
Ghost

Back in the '90s White Wolf Publishing put out a series of hardcovers with the intent of collecting all of Moorcock's works in a standard format. I think they released 16 volumes, not sure if it was truly completed. Well-known fantasy/comic artists did the covers, interiors were illustrated... they looked great. I wish I would have bought them all.

Oh, and as far as what I'm reading: News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #468
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk and Akira Vol. 3.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #469
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

11/22/63 by Stephen King. Terrific read so far. King at his best.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #470
Babytoxie
Ghost

American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from Poe to the Pulps

750 pages of weirdness edited by Peter Straub, and there's a second volume covering from the 1940s to the present.