Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 07-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #821
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
Probably because Iron man has appeared in multiple successful movies. Most buyers in Asia especially are probably movie watchers.
Yeah everyone knows Iron Man now due to the movies. And to think before the movies, he was pretty much unknown to the general public and was considered a B-lister in the Marvel Universe.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #822
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
whoa that's gonna be a rare one to find then! Now we can all see why nobody does storm... she can't even sell out when there's a good design for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
Pretty much this. Did you see the ES for Scorpion? That one is only 300! That's a crazy low ES for such an amazing piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Moon Knight is 270. Unfortunately, I think this confirms why Sideshow doesn't do these lesser known characters.

I honestly believe its not the character nor the sculpt that made these guys "undesirable". Its the price ...and I'm talking the retail price + shipping + handling fee ...that stopped most collectors from getting these.

XM Studios makes some awesome statues ...and these characters are sought after even though they're B-list characters. But its the total cost.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #823
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I honestly believe its not the character nor the sculpt that made these guys "undesirable". Its the price ...and I'm talking the retail price + shipping + handling fee ...that stopped most collectors from getting these.

XM Studios makes some awesome statues ...and these characters are sought after even though they're B-list characters. But its the total cost.
Yeah, that's a good point. Each piece is roughly $900-1,200 depending on what kind of deal you can get. With that being said, will Mystique be even lower than Storm, because she's even more expensive?
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #824
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Yeah, that's a good point. Each piece is roughly $900-1,200 depending on what kind of deal you can get. With that being said, will Mystique be even lower than Storm, because she's even more expensive?
I expect her to be about the same or higher. Because well, movies. I am pretty sure there are more buyers of XM statues in Asia than North America due to the license and shipping fee, which means most buyers are likely not a comic book reader.

It’s really disappointing that movies didn’t do any justice to Storm
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #825
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
I expect her to be about the same or higher. Because well, movies. I am pretty sure there are more buyers of XM statues in Asia than North America due to the license and shipping fee, which means most buyers are likely not a comic book reader.

It’s really disappointing that movies didn’t do any justice to Storm
Yeah, I mean she had a few cool scenes, but Halle Berry was an awful Storm (and an even worse Catwoman). But, to be fair, the only Mystique that was good was Rebecca Romjin. I hated Jennifer Lawrence.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #826
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Yeah, I mean she had a few cool scenes, but Halle Berry was an awful Storm (and an even worse Catwoman). But, to be fair, the only Mystique that was good was Rebecca Romjin. I hated Jennifer Lawrence.
Jennifer Lawrence Mystique had a lot of focus in recent x-men movies. I mean last 3 x-men movies focus on Professor X, Magneto and Mystique. I also don’t particularly like the movie mystique but I think general audience recieved her very well. Mystique is a character that definitely benefited the most from the recent movies.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #827
built2shred
Phoenix

XM builds very detailed story driven statues with fairly large bases, plus several switch outs, so they are more expensive, even if you lived in Singapore a lot of these statues still cost $850+ USD. XM is in the higher end of statue collecting and there is not a lot of collectors in that part of the market. North America is probably one of the bigger markets for statues and to transport it over your looking at $1000-$1200 on average.. so price defiantly plays a part in it.

I also think not giving the X-Men their most iconic outfits probably hurts sales a bit...

Was Storm one of the statues that had a pre-order window and when the time ran out whatever pre-orders they got in determined the ES? If so that's great for collectors as the low ES will pretty much guarantee you won't lose money if you decide to sell down the road.

Could you imagine if SS did that, they're edition sizes based on pre-orders only, they would probably have really low edition sizes also, but SS is willing to store statues in their warehouses for years in order to sell higher edition sizes.. It seems XM doesn't want to deal with inventory issues...

Probably doesn't help either there are so many options when it comes to statues now a days, lots of different IP's to choose from.... I had to give up a lot of my existing statues in order to make room for these XM X-Men statues, so I imagine display space plays a part as people don't have room to display multiple IP's like they used to...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #828
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post

That could be part of the issue. XM pieces are definitely not cheap to get especially for collectors outside the approved regions so they are already limited in that regard.

With that said, you then have some pieces that are way more expensive than these pieces and they still have a higher ES like the Hulkbuster (2500 SGD) with an ES of 999 and the Optimus Prime (2199 SGD) with an ES of 600. I know that Hulkbuster with markup, shipping/handling, fees will be a roughly 4000 SGD piece which is roughly $3000 USD when all is said and done just to get it to places like the US. The shipping quotes I've seen for the Hulkbuster costs as much or more than most of the XM pieces themselves. That Optimus Prime will be at least a 3000 SGD piece after all is said and done. Ultimately, I think it's almost a gamble for companies on whether a piece will sell or not. Even the made up Catwoman (Samurai Line) has a way higher ES of 900 versus Scorpion, Storm, and Moon Knight. It's also more expensive with a retail price of 1200 SGD. What's crazy is you would have to combine the ES for all 3 pieces (Scorpion, Storm, and Moon Knight) in order to beat the ES of the Catwoman. Guess that's why some companies tend to stick with what is more popular/safe sometimes.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #829
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

This is really just cost. I totally want this Storm (still might get it). I mean I'm all in but the question is is it really $400 to $500 better than a sideshow product? IMHO no. This Storm for me hangs around 1K shipped for a 1/4th. which is crazy for the average collector. Heck all i hear on this forum that $500 PF's are insane. Also this might be a small thing but my Sideshow orders I get points. Sure it's usually only 5% but hey it's something I can put towards future purchases. Out of market XM have lots of strikes against them. Not to mention it's not like the value of your statue is going to do anything but remain flat or more likely drop by 20%. Thats fine with me cause I love the character but thats is a ton of money for a statue. I made that jump with Xm Luke Skywalker but I have been slow to commit to another XM statue.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #830
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Was Storm one of the statues that had a pre-order window and when the time ran out whatever pre-orders they got in determined the ES? If so that's great for collectors as the low ES will pretty much guarantee you won't lose money if you decide to sell down the road.
Yes, she was part of the first wave of MTO, as was Poison Ivy, Moon Knight, etc. Catwoman was also listed as MTO, but she's a bit different because she was shown (and presumably had orders taken) for almost 2 years before her two-week window.