Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Day 2:

Not such an early start today, since we already had all of the commissions set up. We ended up catching the train in, and got in probably about half an hour after opening. The crowds were still quite large, but seemed to die off a lot quicker than they did on Saturday.

First stop was Jim Cheung, who had finished my Etrigan sketch. There are not enough superlatives to describe how I feel about this piece and about Jim, who is a true gentleman.

Next was David Yardin. He was working on Shanan's Gambit piece at the time, but was able to hand over my Etrigan sketch. In some ways I wish I had found my pad of A4 200gsm paper (he was doing the head sketches on backing boards), but I am extremely happy with the way the sketch turned out (and even happier that Shanan had persuaded me to go with the toned sketch rather than a straight inked piece).

Peter Nguyen still had some work to do on his contribution to my Etrigan collection, so we went off to the Gestalt Publishing booth and had a look through one of the folios of original comic art. We ended up buying this page from Rombies Issue 0:

After a bit of a wander and some lunch, we headed back to Peter, who had finished my piece:

David Yardin (who was located next to Peter for the entire show), had also finished Shanan's Gambit sketch:

She was extremely happy with the sketch, and I think it has gone a long way to alleviate the disappointment she felt after finding out her Rob Granito painting had been copied from David. We had joked with David about bringing in the Granito piece for a ceremonial destruction or defacing, but it was too big to bring on the train with us. I may very well take it with me to Oz Comic Con next week though.

Then it was time to check in on David Mack. He had done one sketch for me, but wasn't entirely happy with it, so he said he would work on another one. We headed back a bit later, and he ended up giving us both pieces.

First sketch:

Second sketch:

The rest of the day was spent wandering around getting items signed, making other purchases and tictacing between Jim and Peter in order to get a piece Rod had requested finalised (which I will leave for Rod to display in his own time). Once that was done, we headed home, tired and a little sore, but very happy with our haul.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
Rocket
Art of Mod

Absolutely astounding haul mate!!! That Ms Marvel is a thing of beauty also and oh my your Etrigan collection has to now be the best going around if it wasn't already!!!

Just fantastic my friend and once more my utmost thanks to you and Shanan for allowing me to attend the con vicariously through you guys on both days

See you in a few days time for our con down here!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Very very cool again! I think you sir must be a very happy chap this weekend
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Some very nice pieces. I didn't realise that Gestalt was also acting as an art dealer. Reasonable rates? Could I buy a pay for under $100?
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Dear lord Wrothy, that Cheung Etrigan is so good I can smell the fire and brimstone from over here in SA! Everything I've seen from Jim's Oz stuff has been mind blowing, even by his lofty standards!

The Yardin and Nguyen pieces are brilliant also!

Let us know if/when the Granito destruction takes place in Melbourne, would love to see that go down!

Bring on next weekend, huh?
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Mean Green
Fantomah

That Cheung piece is amazing! Love the Yardin pieces too... Great great haul!
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Rocket
Art of Mod

Forgot to ask Steve, how many you reckon Jim got through at the con? Six or seven?
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Royd
Producer
Producer

Just jumping in to say that I saw Jim do 2 on the first day (Thor and Ms Marvel?) and I believe he got one done during the evening. I think he did at least three or maybe four on the second day including what I now know was your "extra" one

Unfortunately, there was no time for him to look at doing my request (Shanna) but I did ask him to focus on the fans attending the show and that I could pick it up from him in San Diego in a few weeks.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Yep, he did Thor and Ms Marvel on the first day. He worked on my Etrigan overnight (apparently he, Peter Nguyen and David Yardin were sitting in the lobby of the hotel working on sketches, and they were all working on Etrigan at one point).

Day 2 I saw a Cyclops, your Havoc piece, a piece which he must have been working on beforehand that was mostly finished (Captain America, Winter Soldier and Nick Fury), and he was working on an Emma Frost when I left.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
BoloMusashi
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Sweet haul! I was sadly too busy and suck to organize anything with DY or JC. I was fortunate enough to collect 3 sketches off PN, 2 of Chamba and 1 off Emily. Will get some scans done later on.
BoloMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote