Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

My Heroes "Haul"... haha.

I took a freight train to the n#ts financially with an emergency vet bill just prior to a trip I already couldn't afford, but I went anyways... needed a break, needed to "shop" an idea around, and wanted to meet a few more of you SF Momos. Buyin' art/etc was not a priority this time around...

.. having said that, here are pieces I came away with.. well.. Dave came away with them as I brought neither portfolio nor Profolio, and the man offered me his big ol' manbag to carry 'em in... is it hot in here?... in order to mail them to me later. Thank you, Sir!
I'm all about supporting SF artists/inkers/colorists, so getting pieces from Cary, Brian, Drew (and Sunny, who's working on something) was awesome.. as was meeting each of them. I won't bore any of you with "artist/Armando" pics.

Meeting Cary was great; his line was crazy. I love how Hulk is "rough" and Caiera is streamlined on this... really pleased with how this turned out. Thanks again, Cary!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...00&GSub=120122

Brian's piece TOTALLY took me by surprise. I was expecting greatness, but.. to me, this is amazing. LOVE IT LOVE IT! Somewhat fun, that it's the exact opposite of the companion Caiera vs. Illuminati piece that he did for me, which has Caiera in quiet repose, on top of a pile of defeated Illuminati.. haha. Brilliant work! Love the gladiatorial arena tentacles that he threw in, at my request.. but.. this just.. took me by surprise as to how awesome it is.
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...13&GSub=120122

Probably one of my favorite pages from the Abnett/Lanning GotG run. Drax and Phyla grocery shopping.. haha. The "downtime" in the series was as enjoyable as the battles, and the conversation taking place here goes from hilarious to sobering.. plus, the shading on Phyla denoting her reactions to what Drax is saying and the panel of her "taunting" him with the grin... brilliant stuff.
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...23&GSub=126841
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I now own OA with the Maestro on it; I can die happy. Love this page since it's "later" referenced in Future Imperfect by the Maestro, when he mentions that he knows how long it takes for him to heal from a broken neck; this is the storyline where he sustains that injury. Love the "Snap" panel as it pays huge homage to David/Perez's panel. The Maestro hasn't looked this good since Future Imperfect.
Great meeting Sunny Lee (whom I have one or two things incoming from).. the man's table was insane... so much gorgeous art of his, over so little a space... fantastic place to catch my breath , Mike Frey (met Bill in NYCC.... the Freys are awesome, hands-down some of the best representatives of SF we could hope for), and seein' Dave and Charles again is always a plus, as well.
Great meeting Tony Kordos also... heheh... how's that little... "errand".. coming along?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...92&GSub=126841

Blink's one of my favorite characters from AoA, and obviously the Maestro is one of my favorite characters.. period, so his "flicking" of her is as brutal as it is hilarious. That expression on his face is just.. pure insane evil. Gorgeous stuff.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...92&GSub=126841

Walked by Drew Moss's table, intending on saying "hey!" as he's forum brethren, and this is what he was working on! I'm all about gifting to you Momos on here, so I was going to give this to Dave, which was done by way of Yarish Deliveries, Inc.. Good times, good times indeed. Drew, your art's amazing, brother! Great meeting you.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...94&GSub=126971
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Nice.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

i hate vet bills. i could be driving a Range Rover with a lifesize Invincible Ottley commission on my wall if i didnt have vet bills. speaking of which, gotta go tomorrow (3 time in 2 weeks). lame.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

My "clock" was on West Coast time, so I wandered around a bit late at night and took some pics of surrounding Charlotte... the second night there when I was doing this, there was a shooting just a couple of blocks over around the time that I was taking these(I learned on the news the next day).. haha... exciting.

Quinjet hangar in our hotel

Lay-over was Minneapolis going over, and Detroit coming back. Having never been to Detroit before, and finding what appeared to be their one "tunnel" terminal fascinating (complete with tram for the elderly/fat/time-crunched people), I took a picture of it.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Mural across from our hotel:

When I go to NYC/Paris/etc, I always take pics of Penthouses.. have a fun collection of 'em. I'm not sure WHAT this is, but I took a pic of it, nonetheless. I should've asked someone.
Charles? Steve? Any "locals" to Charlotte know?

Have pics of me with various artists/writers/SF members, but... yeah, that's it for the scenery. Charlotte's a pretty city.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just regarding OA/commissions, I spent 1/3 at this con compared to what I spent at NYCC '10 (wasn't into art much when I hit ECCC and SDCC) and I came away just as satisfied with my pieces (well, not including Caiera's sacrifice to the Big G), so... yeah.. win/win. Didn't go to grab art even BEFORE the veterinarian sinkhole, and I still made out well enough to suit my needs.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Took me the whole damned trip to acclimate to the time change as I usually require very little sleep, but I usually go "on vacation" for more than just a few days, so I can acclimate.. but the day I left to come BACK to CA. is pretty much the day I finally had my internal clock running on East Coast time.

Once again, have to thank the Freys for their hospitality, as well as Charles... who continues to prove that this forum is full of good people. F#ck anyone who says otherwise.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Underdog07
Hercules

Good stuff all around.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Great haul! Thanks for the Moss piece Love the SNAP page a ton – great homage to the Future Imperfect KRAK page! Those pages were such a great deal! I could not believe it when Randy told us the prices on that bin of pages … it was fun going through all the pages and pulling out anything with Maestro on it. I can still hear you exclaiming “I WANT THAT ONE!” when I pulled this one from the stack We both made out like bandits on that deal! Score one for the gammabros! Good weekend all around – great company and great art and lots of Hulk goodness. Your art is packed up safe and snug and is currently somewhere between Ohio and Cali … should be in your hands tomorrow.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote