Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 05-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #1671
capchi3
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
They only made 150 of Kat-Ya? Ouch.
I know she was the least favorite, but 150.
That couldn't have paid for production costs.
I actually don't mind the face.

I really hope they do Fireball.
I have decided to give in and order her.
It's a Awsome statue for sure, and only an ES 150
Great move to order while the price is right. I got my on eBay for $425 right to my door!
capchi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #1672
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by capchi3 View Post
Great move to order while the price is right. I got my on eBay for $425 right to my door!
I noticed that these and the walking dead statues drop in price drastically on the secondary market. Probably why tfaw put Whisper at $400. Since she only hits $450, at the most, shipped on ebay.

I like Kat-Ya, but I will wait for a good deal.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #1673
grphyx1
Kingpin

This has been said before but they did themselves a disservice with the price of these
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #1674
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
This has been said before but they did themselves a disservice with the price of these
I have 3 of them so far, IMO they are worth the money....

Also there were deals to be found the last year or so, I paid $375 for Katya & Derby and Whisper was $499. And these have a lot more details to them then what SS offers on most PF's which are now in the $500+ range.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #1675
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by capchi3 View Post
Just checked out your collection. Good photo's of Kat-Ya. My GG Maggie arrived with hand broken off, your GG Kat-Ya arrived with hair broken off, built2shred's GG Derby arrived with various parts broken. Gentle Giant need to sort out their packaging.

My Derby arrives Tuesday. I'd be happy if it arrives unbroken, as that would be a bonus. I'm tempted to order Kat-Ya, and like Fireball more and more. When it comes to Whisper, I only like the red version and they are mega bucks!
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #1676
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Just checked out your collection. Good photo's of Kat-Ya. My GG Maggie arrived with hand broken off, your GG Kat-Ya arrived with hair broken off, built2shred's GG Derby arrived with various parts broken. Gentle Giant need to sort out their packaging.

My Derby arrives Tuesday. I'd be happy if it arrives unbroken, as that would be a bonus. I'm tempted to order Kat-Ya, and like Fireball more and more. When it comes to Whisper, I only like the red version and they are mega bucks!
Think if the sculpt was in pieces like XM or ssc, there would be less breakage.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #1677
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I have 3 of them so far, IMO they are worth the money....

Also there were deals to be found the last year or so, I paid $375 for Katya & Derby and Whisper was $499. And these have a lot more details to them then what SS offers on most PF's which are now in the $500+ range.

And let's not forget the ginormous edition sizes of most SS releases. If you're not going to make a bazillion units, then it stands to reason that price goes up.

Shanna, Maggie, Whisper, and Derby are in my collection. Fantastic pieces. REALLY hope Fireball gets released.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #1678
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post

And let's not forget the ginormous edition sizes of most SS releases. If you're not going to make a bazillion units, then it stands to reason that price goes up.

Shanna, Maggie, Whisper, and Derby are in my collection. Fantastic pieces. REALLY hope Fireball gets released.
Is there really a relationship anymore between edition sizes and quality? I wouldn't say that Maggie came out any better than any sideshow piece. I have seen complaints about paint, breakage etc here, just like in sideshow threads. I have owned a ton of Gentle Giant pieces in my collectible career and honestly, they weren't any better than sideshow.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #1679
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Is there really a relationship anymore between edition sizes and quality? I wouldn't say that Maggie came out any better than any sideshow piece. I have seen complaints about paint, breakage etc here, just like in sideshow threads. I have owned a ton of Gentle Giant pieces in my collectible career and honestly, they weren't any better than sideshow.
My point was more on price than quality. You have to expect prices to be higher than average when you manufacture 500 units versus a 5000 piece release.

Comparing GG and SS, I've had far better paints with GG. They come out much closer to the prototypes.

However, breakages have been a bigger problem with GG. I don't really view it as a quality issue though. It's more with packaging. (For some reason I draw a line between the two.) And it's been an issue even back when they created the amazing Sucker Punch girls.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #1680
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
The issue GG has is their packaging, seems like it's a roll of the dice if it survives the trip from their warehouse to your front door.... I wish they would hire new people for their packaging design.

If your only making a few hundred statues it's easier to QC it vs making 2k-3k statues which would be near impossible, that is why some companies probably has more issues as they're relying on the factory to get it right before it ships off to the consumer.

As for price, you make a good point when you said Maggie didn't come any better then Sideshow pieces, so say their equal.... Then how come you can find GG statues 1/4 just as good as SS if not better sometimes for about $150+ less? Goes to show you SS is kind of putting the screws to their customers price wise.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote