Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #1251
grphyx1
Kingpin

I strongly have to disagree with you on this. I saw that Whisper statue and there is nothing extra that was not seen on Rocket from the sucker punch line, except some flippers. We could argue this all day, I was not blown away by Whisper. the body sculpt is very nice, but so is Artemisia. these are waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. You are right that peeps will buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
None of the above, IMO.

They're priced so high due to the amount of intricate detail and sophisticated fabrication. Not even the Sucker Punch girls were on the same level as what I've seen with Whisper.

grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #1252
grphyx1
Kingpin

I don't see anymore detail work than even Blondie

[/URL]
Old 06-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #1253
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
I strongly have to disagree with you on this. I saw that Whisper statue and there is nothing extra that was not seen on Rocket from the sucker punch line, except some flippers. We could argue this all day, I was not blown away by Whisper. the body sculpt is very nice, but so is Artemisia. these are waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. You are right that peeps will buy them.
Agreed. I don't see anymore detail on these than the SuckerPunch line. The SuckerPuch girls were crazy detailed. Not just in the sculpt and pieces, but also the paint.

I think GG has more experience now with what these kind of statues cost in production and how well sexy women sell. It is definitely a combination of those two aspects that attributed to the prices on these pieces.

Someone will argue, "yeah, but GG is putting metal and mixed media on the Honey Trap girls!" Well, they did that with the SuckerPunch girls too.

With the hype of this line dying, big time. You are going to have more and more people questioning the prices on these.

I kind of regret selling my SuckerPunch girls. They were really fantastic. I still have Sweet Pea though. Might have to hold on to her.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #1254
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

As someone who owned all the SP girls and the Whisper variant I see a clear difference, but as with anything opinions will always vary.

The price issue has been beaten to death. They aren't cheap but outside of the Whisper variant you can get the other girls for around $450 ea., which just happens to be the average price of a Sideshow 1:4 scale PF now, so I don't thank the "overpriced" argument holds much water anymore.

The thing almost everyone fails to consider when comparing the HT line to the SP line in terms of pricing is the latter was drastically underpriced. The days of paying $175-$250 for 1:4 scale statue are long gone and even when they came out a few years back they were a tremendous bargain when compared to comparable statues in the market at the time.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #1255
grphyx1
Kingpin

Gentle Giant's pricing is ridiculous and all over the place. You have Shana and a damn velociraptor for $450, nearly $150 less than these HT girls.

Groot and Rocket at $450. and that is from franchise. They can slap on all the plastic accessories on these honey trap girls and it will still be a pretty overpriced statue....to me.

And lets not forget that they came out with these prices over 2 years ago, when the average PF was much lower than current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
As someone who owned all the SP girls and the Whisper variant I see a clear difference, but as with anything opinions will always vary.

The price issue has been beaten to death. They aren't cheap but outside of the Whisper variant you can get the other girls for around $450 ea., which just happens to be the average price of a Sideshow 1:4 scale PF now, so I don't thank the "overpriced" argument holds much water anymore.

The thing almost everyone fails to consider when comparing the HT line to the SP line in terms of pricing is the latter was drastically underpriced. The days of paying $175-$250 for 1:4 scale statue are long gone and even when they came out a few years back they were a tremendous bargain when compared to comparable statues in the market at the time.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #1256
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Guess you missed the part where I said you could get the HT girls for around $450 too. Or maybe you simply don't care and just want to continue to complain about the line. Either way there are other options outside of ordering direct from GG you know.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #1257
grphyx1
Kingpin

I actually didn't miss it. They can charge what they want to charge and you can get it for $450 if you wish, my only thing is i don't see a whole lot of difference in the detail, that's all. you missed my point about how random GG's pricing is. I have enough TnA in my collection.

i also edited that these prices were from over 2 years ago. that's high for then
Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #1258
grphyx1
Kingpin

on a lighter note mister super moderator, here's a hellboy poster I'm currently working on.:-)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #1259
built2shred
Phoenix

If you bought them from a dealer like Speculative Fiction you could get them well under $500.... Everyone has their opinion but for me the HT are well worth their money if they come out looking like the prototypes... And based on Whisper odds are they will.

I would love to get all 5 of the Sucker Punch statues but I missed that boat and some of them are really pricy now on Ebay $1000+
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #1260
grphyx1
Kingpin

I have no doubt they'll be pretty darn close to the proto's. GG has shown some amazing paint apps. The new Amidala bust is simply one of the best SW bust produced.