Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #1011
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
After watching this video, I will say he does look a tad better than in the photos.

However, I am still not feeling the costume at all for these reasons:

1. The collar piece (unsure of the technical term) looks like it's just floating there instead of actually part of the costume.

2. The helmet looks too smooth and plain compared to the detailing on his body suit, which leads me to the whole "cheap plastic" look I stated earlier. The helmet also looks a tad large, which makes it appear his head is a tad too large for the slightly slender body. Maybe an unmasked head will fix that illusion.

3. The belt is just bad, there's not much more to say on it.

4. I saw a side-by-side on Facebook of this piece and the new white XM Magneto. I will preface this by saying this is NOT a dig on Sideshow nor is it a dig on XM. But, the pattern/texture on both Magneto's is almost identical, as are the shape of the gloves and boots.

5. And this is a big one for me - while I have no issues with a fabric wired cape, this particular one just looks to be the antithesis of epic to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I like it much more after seeing a few videos. It's really only the cape collar I dislike. I don't like the way it flares up and I think I'd pose the cape differently than how they have it displayed. I'd have the cape follow the bend of the armor which I think would make it look better/more dramatic. That make sense?
The helmet, costume and belt do not bother me, but the collar does and I hope it is removable, but more than likely the fabric cape is attached to it. Damn.

Never saw the side by side of XM and SS statues but it is funny the costume designs are similar.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #1012
bonebreak2000
A day without sunshine is like... night.

There are just a bunch of little things I think are weird about it.
I don't hate it. But I also don't love it.

As its gotten to the point where I have to LOVE a SS to order it. Too many other good options out there.

Kinda of the same on the Deadpool. I would have ordered it if it werent for a couple little things. But those things add up on a 700$ statue.

Also seeing both the deadpools together I wish the posses were switched. I think if you have the female version in that pose with the selfie stick and the male version kicking the missile they would just sell more of them.... I know sexist but its true.

Anyway... Mags, yeah likely a pass for me, and Ive been waiting on a Mag for a while
bonebreak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1013
ETERNIA FOREVER
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
For people who bought into (and stayed with) the SS X-Men PFs, this has to be deflating. A long, long wait and I feel SS deviated too far from the comic look. Between their Mags and new Wolvie, it seems like no one is a fan of tights anymore.

I'm guessing it's a sign of the times. XM is putting out 1/4 scale pieces with a modern flair. And selling well. This artistic approach by SS would easily allow collectors to mix/match SS and XM pieces in a display so.... win for collectors? (shrug)

Are people still as amped for a Juggernaut that's been "modernized" as well?

I believe that is the marvel select juggernaut on the right what is that one on the left .?
ETERNIA FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #1014
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
BTW I totally accept if people are unhappy with pose and general composition of the piece but don't accept the anatomy excuse.
Excuse? Some prefer a more buff comic Magneto. Others such as yourself are ok with a more lean Magneto. How are we making excuses?
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #1015
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Easy Pass!
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #1016
Peedi
The Secret Six

- the body type works for me, as a reader of X-Men since Claremont/Lee X-Men #1. It wasn't hard to accept Ian McKellan as Magneto, this is certainly buffer than him.

- the pose is generally ok. A little awkward from the collar bone/neck positioning due to his upper torso contortion, but when looked at from behind it mostly makes sense

- they certainly accomplished the floating affect

Dislikes
- the chest plate/collar/classic thing around his chest needs to be revisited. But sideshow is stubborn. They change the things nobody complained about but the things people want change they leave alone, so I wouldn't expect this to change. But it's the one thing that would make the whole statue look better.

- the belt is ugly

- the boots and gloves don't have to be exactly classic but i still wish they maintained some element of the classic "open stripes" design of the comics. XM using straps on the boots looks more practical whereas these boots are just a cluttered design.

- the sentinel. Not a fan of yet another sentinel base but at least they made it work well so it's not a huge disappointment.

Overall.
- high expectations hurt this. It's not bad. It was hard for this to be as striking as most expected. And I think the first pic was bad and that filtered perceptions. If we would've seen a more front facing angle first the reception would've been better than it is now.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #1017
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Excuse? Some prefer a more buff comic Magneto. Others such as yourself are ok with a more lean Magneto. How are we making excuses?
Some collectors are saying it looks silly because he is not buff.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #1018
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Not silly but lacking presence. Not so much because of anatomy or sculpting as it is the overall composition.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #1019
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Guys, this needs surely to be re-done from scratch. Many mistakes from Sideshow here. I stressed them earlier and unless they change it, it is going to be an easy pass. Nevertheless, i see many guys (REAL pushers of 1 company, pushing and SELLING statues @ facebook with 200d mark-ups) to bash Sideshow.

Sideshow GOATed here. All of its COTD line is marvellous (at least 8 masterpieces), Red Sonja, Iron Man, Swamp Thing, Batwoman, Lady Deadpool etc.

I saw only 2 misses. Magneto and the ATROCIOUS, i repeat ATROCIOUS Batman LSF.

Prime1 GOATed with Catwoman 1/3
ECC nothing new really
Iron Studios some good pieces
CC nothing interesting apart from dinos

All in all, i have at least 14 PO's coming (Sideshow + Prime1) and then we are going to wait for new pieces from Prime1 in 1 week. Nevertheless, the pushers of 1 SPECIFIC company convinced everybody that this SDCC is a letdown.

My 0.42 cents, guys
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #1020
toe
Alpha Flight

Sculpt is great. It's the execution: Pose.

If SS released this exact statue 5 years ago, I'm sure people would have gone crazy for it.
toe is offline   Reply With Quote