Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #21
feeter
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I'm happy with GG... the reason is I only collect the statues... they really have a problem with the busts
feeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
msw313
Death is hereditary.

I pretty much gave up on GG as well. Much as I like their stuff, something had to give.

I have neither the time nor the patience (not to mention the money!) to hunt down a zillion different exclusives and variants, as well as the statues and busts of virtually every character, from core to obscure, in the Star Wars universe.

I don't have space enough to display any of the SW stuff anyway, so I'll probably eventually retrieve it all from storage and cut it loose. Let it brighten the collections of others who are still excited about it.
msw313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #23
Hawkeye111
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I love finding SW busts that fit into my budget, the only problem is I don't own to many!! Oh well, it is still fun to try and buy/win them!!!
Hawkeye111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #24
Darth Mystery
Loki

I am with you all, collecting is fun as long as it is affordable, but sometimes i just can't resist and i must have that statue and/or bust.
I'll keep thinking about it just as long as it takes for me to buy one.

My collection is getting out of hand, i am out of place to put everything and most important i am getting out of money, no refraise i AM out of money.

My wife thinks it's a sickness.
Darth Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #25
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I actually think its kinda cool that GG give so many convention exclusives. It adds to the hunt which for me is the biggest trill in collecting.
Normally I'd agree with you here but there is absolutely nothing thrilling about paying between $200-$300 for a $50 Mini-Bust for me. GG has taken the fun out of trying to acquire that occasional rare piece by overusing the Exclusive gimmick on to many popular characters.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #26
msw313
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Mystery View Post
My wife thinks it's a sickness.
She's right, you know.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #27
msw313
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Normally I'd agree with you here but there is absolutely nothing thrilling about paying between $200-$300 for a $50 Mini-Bust for me. GG has taken the fun out of trying to acquire that occasional rare piece by overusing the Exclusive gimmick on to many popular characters.
That's pretty much what killed "thrill of the hunt" for me.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #28
Chris S
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

GG does put out some really nice stuff so it's hard for me to quite them completely even though I really want too. The problem is that more and more often it's just not worth the stress/hunt.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #29
madheavy
Doh!

Gentle Giant Love/Hate

Since I just started I have to plan wisely.
I never bought any maquettes, busts, etc until GG.
I only like their SW CW animated maquettes. Too bad that they are sometimes very limited.

But that is what self-control is for. I live in Japan, so my apartment is small, so I have to pick and choose wisely.

So far only:
Yoda on Kybuck
C3PO with Jawa
Blackhole Stormtrooper (bidding on it now)
Darth Vader (bidding now)

P.S. What's up with no Count Dooku animated maquette? That is the one I'd give a up a kidney for.
madheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #30
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

I usually look at what they put out but I never buy gentle giant stuff. Too much Bowen and Sideshow for me to start with another company. However I cant believe how many convention exclusives they make and how impossible their system seems to be. It must frustrate the hell out of the diehard GG collectors. It always seems like your paying high premiums just to get a nice piece. Good luck to you guys

I'M REALLY STARTING TO THINK ABOUT GETTING RID OF MY GENTLE GIANT COLLECTION,...I'M SO FREAKIN PI$$ED, AS I MISSED GETTING A BLACKHOLE ANIMATED TROOPER......THE EXCLUSIVES ARE STARTING TO REALLY GET TO ME AS WELL.

ONLY ONE WAY TO DESCRIBE GENTLE GIANT.....

NOT COLLECTOR-FRIENDLY.

PERIOD!!
glassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote