Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-18-2017, 02:26 AM   #31
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

WTF happend to movie posters?

https://youtu.be/VXJiBkFgprQ

Excellent analysis of modern movie posters.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #32
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
WTF happend to movie posters?

https://youtu.be/VXJiBkFgprQ

Excellent analysis of modern movie posters.
Well, the topic kinda shifted for a page to the effects digital has had on various artistic fields, not just movie posters. Its a legitimate topic when talking about what happened to movie posters as it really is because of the easy, and cost effective use of digital technology that has really been one of the major causes of the decline of the movie poster market and we have seen that same decline in other mediums like book covers as well.

The main topic is still movie posters, but again other mediums have seen the same exact thing happen due to digital technology so I really don't even see it as a derailing of the topic, just a widening of the overall scope of the topic of what has happened to movie posters in general and what is happening to other mediums as well due to the same reason, cheap and easy digital technology.

And yes, I have already seen that video and it does make some good points, especially regarding the use of complimentary colors. Complimentary colors or colors that lie on the opposite side of the color wheel just naturally look great together, which is why thier called complimentary colors. Its used WAY too often as a way to try and spice up the look of movie posters. Orange and blue/teal is the one seen most often IMO and it makes them all look the same. And the floating head technique is the most common technique in modern movie posters and its the one aspect of digital posters I absolutely can't stand. And I like how he used remakes of films to show the drastic changes in the movie poster designs. That really is one of the best ways to see just how far down hill the medium has gone. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, etc. Look at the original poster and then look at the modern remake poster.

What I don't buy in that video is the claim that there isn't enough money left after advertising to spend money on a quality poster, after all, paying an artist to make a quality movie poster would likely cost less than 1/1000 of a single advertisement played during prime time. They have plenty of money left for quality posters especially since Hollywood has basically been seeing record profits year after year for the last 7-8+ years running. They just don't want to spend it to maximize profits. Not having the money and having it and not wanting to spend it are 2 very different things. They have PLENTY of money to make beautiful posters as its one of the cheapest aspects to movie making. The studio's are just choosing not to make quality posters to maximize profits and save time and its really ridiculous given how much it actually costs to make a quality poster. Niel Degrasse Tyson made a comment recently regarding Donald Trump cutting funding for PBS. He said:

Quote:
Cutting PBS support (0.012% of budget) to help balance the Federal budget is like deleting text files to make room on your 500Gig hard drive
The same thing could be said for movie studios trying to maximize profits by cutting the budget for movie posters. Cutting the absolute minuscule amount of money it takes to create a quality poster to help maximize profits when movies studios made a record total of 11.17 billion in 2016 in nothing short of laughable. Its right in line with how ridiculous cutting PBS funding is to try and balance the US budget. Its such a minuscule amount of money its not going to make a single bit of noticable difference. Had Hollywood made quality posters for all of their films in 2016, thier record total would have still been 11.17 billion as the amount it would have cost to make quality posters wouldn't have even been enough to make the 11.17 billion go down to 11.16 billion.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #33
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely add Budplant and the MarvelMasterworksfansite forum to my rare book bookmarks.

One of my favorites art book companies is Taschen. They have produced some of the nicest art books I have ever seen. Unfortunately, their limited editions are just ridiculously expensive (Like $2,500 all the way up past $10,000+) and way out of my price range, but I absolutely LOVE their XL series and XXL series of books and many of them are much more afordable and they really redefine what a large book really is, especially the XXL line. Over the last year I have purchased the following Tacschen XL and XXL books:

*Gisele Bundchen (XL)
*Peter Lindbergh: A Different Vision on Fashion (XL)
*SebastiĆ£o Salgado: GENESIS (XL)
*Helmut Newton: SUMO (XL)
*Andy Warhol: Polaroids (XL)
*75 Years of Marvel Comics. From Golden Age to the Silver Screen (XXL)
*The Art of Pin-up (XXL)

And I just pre-ordered 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking (XL). I think the release date is May 2017. While their XL books are absolutely amazing and still make regular books look small by comparison, their XXL books are just insane. Their some of the largest books I have ever seen. Their just absolute monsters. Until you have seen one in person, you really just have no idea what to expect. Some of the XXL's are more affordbale (around $200 MSRP which can usually be found for around 50% off is your patient), but some of them definitely get up there in price $700-$1500+.

On of their coolest books is Moonfire. Only 12 copies were made. They were inspired by the Apollo 11 LEM and each book is contained in a case made from a single piece of aluminum, its surface an actual 3-D topography of the Moon, and it comes with a unique piece of lunar rock.

They don't even list a price. You have to call, lol. I can guarantee its over $15,000 a copy. They also claim to have made the largest and most expensive book of the 20th century, the limied edition version of Helmut Newton's Sumo. Measuring 50 x 70 cm (20 x 27.5 inches) and weighing roughly 66 lb., it even comes with a special stand for the book.

They are definitely a company for very serious and very rich book collectors, but they do have a large selection of much more affordable books as well so if your in to quality art books, you should really check them out if you haven't already.

https://www.taschen.com

Again, I am now addicted to Taschen art books as once you get used to those XL and XXL books, it really does make even most special edition's seem underwhelming by comparison. Personally, the two I would recommend the most are Gisele Bundchen (XL) and Art of Pin-Up (XXL). Gisele is just a stunning book of you like modern fashion photography and the Art of Pin-Up is MASSIVE and is without question the nicest Pin-up art book ever created.
I only have the James Bond and Art of Pin Up large books from Taschen. I posted about an Amazon deal on the Art of Pin Up in my artbook, comic, movie book sales thread. I would supplement the Art of Pin Up with Gil Elvgren's book also from Taschen. It's not as big as the Art of Pin Up but I think it has the majority of his paintings. And you can get it cheap from just about any book seller these days.

Also, if you are really into pin up, there is a book on Bettie Page called Queen of Hearts. Robert McGinnis has a few pieces in it. But I think it's only in the hardcover version. At least, I have the deluxe version and I recall reading about extra pages somewhere.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/35-28...arts-Ltd-Ed-HC

I'm thinking about getting Taschen's Disney book but I want to watch some of those old movies again. Usually I check Taschen's site quarterly. The books are expensive and it seems like only the popular ones I've noticed sell out. The Bond book sold out of the first edition kind of fast because it had a strip of film from Dr. No included. But you could still get it on discount at places like Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I know I paid less than $100 for that one too. I think the gold edition with Daniel Craig's signature sold out quick as well.

I believe those Moonfire books are priced at $140,000, $185,000, $270,000, and $480,000 Euros...

I want to check out the Formula1 and Ferrari Opus books one day. They are very expensive...

http://www.thisisopus.com/

I don't know the most expensive book. I know they can get crazy like anything else. I have a nice big book on the Blackbird jet signed by the pilot. I think the original Bond hardcovers are expensive. Especially if you have a signed or personalized copy. Even the slip cased book club reprints go for a lot.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #34
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

I have to say that the best posters that have come out in the last 10 years have been from the new Power Rangers movie. That movie has had so much money pumped into its publicity and advertising (especially the posters) that I really want to do well. I mean, look at these, all of these are unique in their own way, and in no way rehashes of the previous poster.

First Teaser Poster

Various Final posters

samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote