Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
What are you talking about? Who is everyone that is asking for an Asian American Iron Fist as opposed to Danny Rand?

Various articles on the web not on this forum, my bad
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Various articles on the web not on this forum, my bad
I'm not surprised.

And when/if they get an Asian Iron Fist they will then say his character is fat shaming. And then when they get an Asian sumo iron fist they will say he should be more gender inclusive. And when they get a trans-gender Asian sumo iron fist, they will say he should be pansexual and vegan.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #13
jamepeytoni011
Kindly Asked To Leave

That is the story. He is the outsider. If you have a asian actor portray him it loses the meaning and actually makes it more stereotypical.
jamepeytoni011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Strange casting for the lead. Finn Jones cast.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25...ones-iron-fist
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
Luminous
Cyclops

As long as his martial arts is up to snuff then it seems like a solid choice to me.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #16
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Strange casting for the lead. Finn Jones cast.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25...ones-iron-fist
I don't follow the comics, but isn't the character of Raynd a white dude and not asian? Seems like they casted the perfect actor then.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
I don't follow the comics, but isn't the character of Raynd a white dude and not asian? Seems like they casted the perfect actor then.
Is that what people are complaining about? That the actor is white? Danny Rand is white for crying out loud. Why would the actor portraying him be anything else?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Saturnyne
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Is that what people are complaining about? That the actor is white? Danny Rand is white for crying out loud. Why would the actor portraying him be anything else?
Yes. A small number of people (who obviously know nothing about the character this show is meant to be about) are throwing fits over a white actor portraying a character who uses martial arts. Ya know, because assuming the only people who practice martial arts are of Asian ancestry isn't racist of said people.

Saturnyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnyne View Post
Yes. A small number of people (who obviously know nothing about the character this show is meant to be about) are throwing fits over a white actor portraying a character who uses martial arts. Ya know, because assuming the only people who practice martial arts are of Asian ancestry isn't racist of said people.

Yeah, I decided to look for some articles on the subject and I can't believe what I'm reading. The supposed logic being put forth by the group "Nerds of Color" is that if they were to cast an Asian-American actor to play Iron Fist (a martial artist) it would somehow play against Asian stereo types in cinema. You know, because Asians being really good at martial arts isn't already a Hollywood stereotype.

Not only does casting Danny Rand with a white actor make canonical sense, it also already plays against the same stereotypes these people are supposedly fighting against. This honestly just seems like a sad attempt by some individuals to position a "representative" of their own culture into a prominent cinematic superhero role. Nothing else.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
Saturnyne
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Yeah, I decided to look for some articles on the subject and I can't believe what I'm reading. The supposed logic being put forth by the group "Nerds of Color" is that if they were to cast an Asian-American actor to play Iron Fist (a martial artist) it would somehow play against Asian stereo types in cinema. You know, because Asians being really good at martial arts isn't already a Hollywood stereotype.

Not only does casting Danny Rand with a white actor make canonical sense, it also already plays against the same stereotypes these people are supposedly fighting against. This honestly just seems like a sad attempt by some individuals to position a "representative" of their own culture into a prominent cinematic superhero role. Nothing else.

Hollywood does have a pretty gross track record when it comes to portraying Asian characters, so I get the desire for respectful representation. That said, casting an Asian actor as this particular character makes no sense unless they intend to totally change his origin.
Saturnyne is offline   Reply With Quote