Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #21
MKS
Nightwing

Anyone else notice a slight bit of missing red lipstick/paint on the left side of her mouth (looking at the bust). You only see it if you look up close, so not a major distraction.
MKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #22
Jesse321
Galactus

Not on mine.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #23
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow75x
I'd love to see JIm work on BLINK, SPIRAL (FS!!!!!!) & Black Cat
There is nothign wrong with the current black cat bust.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #24
chromesamurai
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

This one is beautiful and one of the best female head sculpts I've seen in a while. But how the hell is this bust packed in the box to avoid breaking the tail?
chromesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #25
Snyder-Man
Project Coordinator
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
I don't think the rogue needs to be redone, but spiderwoman and she hulk DEFINATELY need to be redone. I sold mine out of not liking them so much, despite me wanting them very much.

I think this is jim's best work by far.
As an artist, there are many projects you wish you could revisit. As time passes, you find so many things that could be better if you could only work with the piece again for a few more hours. Understanding that Spiderwoman and She-hulk weren't as well received by some fans as other work from our studio, there are aspects of these busts we would love the opportunity to go back and perfect if it were possible.

Having said this, it is difficult at times for a sculptor in this very commercial market to be able to produce a piece that reflects 100% of their talent and ability. All of the busts our studio has sculpted for Randy, were carefully designed by him (Bowen Designs) so that each sculpt not only looks appealing individually, but also looks good when displayed with other busts in his line. Our challenge is then to translate that design into three dimensions while adhering to the specifications of the design and the character itself as drawn in the comics. Once the sculpt has been completed, revised, and sent out, Randy often adds his touch to the piece, adjusting things he had not noticed from the pictures, and revising some design issues based on fan feedback from the message boards.

After the statues are mass produced and painted, the desired result is always a piece that is visually appealing, anatomically correct, true to the comics, compatible with other BD busts, and most importantly, pleasing to the fans of the character. It is very challenging with certain projects to get an A in all of these categories, but that is the goal. Bowen Designs does an amazing job of achieving this in most occasions, and has established a very effective, fan-friendly process for doing so, but with so many different variables, it is impossible to meet these expectations on every single project.

I think that Jim Maddox did an awesome job on the Tigra and is a very talented sculptor. I'm sure if he were to sculpt a Spiderwoman or She-hulk, they would be very nice, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the finished product would be a better one with so many other variables involved. She-hulk for example has been drawn in several different styles, making it very difficult to determine the right dimensions and features for a MB.

Overall, Bowen Designs does an excellent job and Randy has been an awesome client to work for on every project. I also want to say congratulations again to Jim Maddox on the awesome bust and Jesse for the sharp review.

These are all just my opinions and I know that others may be different, but that's cool. We're all comic fans right?

All the best,

Joshua Snyder
Snyder-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #26
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder-Man
All of the busts our studio has sculpted for Randy, were carefully designed by him (Bowen Designs) so that each sculpt not only looks appealing individually, but also looks good when displayed with other busts in his line. Our challenge is then to translate that design into three dimensions while adhering to the specifications of the design and the character itself as drawn in the comics.Joshua Snyder
This is just my opinion, Mr. Snyder, but I think these two busts are a failure not because of the artist who sculpted them (your wife), but a horrible design concept.

Spiderwoman doesn't look good next to other busts because it is a display nightmare. Hands sticking out, too much hair in the back, it was impossible for me to put her in a good angle and have other busts around her. I find this the biggest flaw in many of the recent BD busts (Mr. Maddox's Absorbing Man comes immediately to mind). These concepts are just flawed period and make a good display angle or grouping with other busts very difficult.

She-Hulk looked great in sneak peak pics (like other busts I've seen from many companies), but just didn't look good when I got her. Too generic, odd base, and akward pose. While others may like her, she did not exude any of the qualities (including sexiness) that she should.

But, for both of these I blame concept more than I blame the sculptor.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder-Man
Overall, Bowen Designs does an excellent job and Randy has been an awesome client to work for on every project. I also want to say congratulations again to Jim Maddox on the awesome bust and Jesse for the sharp review.

Joshua Snyder
Josh .. while I'm admittedly not a fan of the She-Hulk sculpt, I agree with BC in so far as I think that the fault lies more in a poor design choice than any lack of talent/skill on Joy's part.

But I whole heartly disagree with BC on the Spider-Wowan. I'm a HUGE fan of both the Vindicator and the Spider-Woman that Joy did for BD's.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #28
Snyder-Man
Project Coordinator
Producer

Quote:
This is just my opinion, Mr. Snyder, but I think these two busts are a failure not because of the artist who sculpted them (your wife), but a horrible design concept.

Spiderwoman doesn't look good next to other busts because it is a display nightmare. Hands sticking out, too much hair in the back, it was impossible for me to put her in a good angle and have other busts around her. I find this the biggest flaw in many of the recent BD busts (Mr. Maddox's Absorbing Man comes immediately to mind). These concepts are just flawed period and make a good display angle or grouping with other busts very difficult.

She-Hulk looked great in sneak peak pics (like other busts I've seen from many companies), but just didn't look good when I got her. Too generic, odd base, and akward pose. While others may like her, she did not exude any of the qualities (including sexiness) that she should.

But, for both of these I blame concept more than I blame the sculptor.
Just to clear up, I am Joshua Snyder. Joy and Tom are my parents, however I currently run the business end of the company.

I want to thank you for clarifying your stance on the bust. I feel that sometimes when a pre-painted statue is being discussed, that any problem found with the finished product is often directed towards the sculptor. I know this is not the intention of many people, but it is just the nature of online forums that many opinions are expressed in short, non-specific responses and this is the sentiment that is often implied.

I have heard others mention in the past, that a piece would have turned out better if it had been attempted by another sculptor. Of course this may be true in some circumstances, but I only wished to point out that there are many steps in the process that could have caused problems with the finished product, outside of the sculptor's efforts.

Quote:
the artist who sculpted them (your wife)
And my father would hate me for saying so, but despite what he may convey to others, all projects that are released from our studio are generated utilizing both of their talents. It is always an equal contribution, but you will never hear him say that.

Thank you again bat and Jesse, I appreciate the claification.

Joshua Snyder
Snyder-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #29
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, your's is great! I moved two that were one paragraph reviews. no worries, your's are awesome.
Isn't a review a review? Why would a paragraph review need to be moved. I'm confused, is there a format requirement for posting a statue review?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #30
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Isn't a review a review? Why would a paragraph review need to be moved. I'm confused, is there a format requirement for posting a statue review?
B_C has posted some suggestions for budding reviewers at the top of this section. I think he wants to ensure it's a high-quality resource for people who are umming and ahing over whether to buy a bust or statue. He's looking for something set apart from a standard post. Otherwise, taken to extremes, 'It sucks' or ' ' could qualify as a review here. My guess is he wants reiews here to be as considered and useful as those provided by your fine self, his fine self, and that barely literate pie-guzzler you hang around with to make you look good... (Man, I'll be in for a ballpeen hammering after that...)
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote