Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
Gothamite
Phoenix

Henry Fonda gave his ballots to family members.

It's the same with any kind of voting, though. How many people actually research everything?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Henry Fonda gave his ballots to family members.

It's the same with any kind of voting, though. How many people actually research everything?
Well, when there are less than 10 films in each category, I expect them to watch all of them honestly.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Well, when there are less than 10 films in each category, I expect them to watch all of them honestly.
Just as I expect people to vote for more than just the party ID next to candidates' names.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Wow, the Oscars huh? Can’t remember the last time I watched it. I think it was when Return of the King ran away with everything. It’s definitely just a magnet for controversy now. Movies in general are pretty bad now, so IMO, the “best” in each category doesn’t carry a lot of weight. Too many remakes, re-imaginings, and agendas. For me anyway.

I can handle all of that. However, the part that gets me is that too many celebrities these days feel this tremendous need or pressure to say something political charged, at which point, they then do zip to move whatever agenda they just "passionately" spoke about forward. I watch the Oscars for the same reason I watch movies -- to get away from it all. When it becomes about Trump or whatever, I'm taken out of it. Trump and so on is constantly discussed on the news, on FB, basically everywhere. Can we not have 2 hours of agenda-free entertainment?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #15
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I can handle all of that. However, the part that gets me is that too many celebrities these day feel this tremendous need or pressure to say something political charged, at which point, they then do zip to move whatever agenda they just "passionately" spoke about forward. I watch the Oscars for the same reason I watch movies -- to get away from it all. When it becomes about Trump or whatever, I'm taken out of it. Trump and so on is constantly discussed on the news, on FB, basically everywhere. Can we not have 2 hours of agenda-free entertainment?
So you're saying we should put up a wall around the Oscars?

Kidding. Only kidding.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
So you're saying we should put up a wall around the Oscars?
Some people really feel that way, but at that point, they're conflating entertainment with art.

Entertainment is escapism. Art is commentary on either life or other art.

If people want entertainment, they can always watch the People's Choice Awards.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Some people really feel that way, but at that point, they're conflating entertainment with art.

Entertainment is escapism. Art is commentary on either life or other art.

If people want entertainment, they can always watch the People's Choice Awards.
Look at you stirring the pot.

Kidding aside, unless the film is about Trump, then I would prefer the conversation be kept about the content of the films and professionals nominated as attention to Trump and so on takes time away from the people who deserve it. Discussion about politics will take place on the news right after the show. Just hang on for 2 hours.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #18
Vracula
Jedi Order

Do people even watch the oscars? Do most people even watch the oscar bait movies that win every year?

Plus we gonna have someone talk trash about Trump and it's gonna go viral and people are gonna give them a virtual pat on the back and I am gonna roll my eyes because I knew this was gonna happen.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #19
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Do people even watch the oscars? Do most people even watch the oscar bait movies that win every year?
the ratings would say very few as it's fewer people every year. they should really get Billy Crystal back for some light hearted fun like the old days.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #20
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post

Plus we gonna have someone talk trash about Trump and it's gonna go viral and people are gonna give them a virtual pat on the back and I am gonna roll my eyes because I knew this was gonna happen.

Of course bashing Trump is very approved in Hollywood so it's not very courageous or risky for them, just a way to pad one's resume. Courageous would be if someone went against Hollywood dogma, but whatever. It's supposed to be an industry awards show about the film arts, not a political rant soapbox for the look at me I'm important crowd, so there is another major flaw with it.
Closed Thread