Martian Manhunter

It was a shiny white suit!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:23 AM   #443
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I don't believe that at all. My brother does a lot of contract work for Hasbro and Mattel. Power Rangers, Hot Wheels, you name it.... recently he's been doing Micronauts work, and now started on ROM The Space Knight. He tells me all sorts of licensing stories. ROM for example.... there is Marvel, IDW, Hasbro, even Paramount involved with him. My brother has LIST of rules he needs to follow when doing any concept work (ie cannot even touch certain things... never mind getting to the point of doing something that gets rejected). Frankly he just laughs at me when I tell him about people blaming SS for not doing particular characters, that would obviously sell well.

But hey, everyone is free to believe whatever theory they want to believe
The problem with that is that years ago Alex said that Marvel didn't restrict sideshow when it comes to character selection. This was specifically during the time Fox owned the movie rights to the X-MEN and the FF and Disney bought Marvel. Many collectors here speculated why sideshow wasn't releasing certain characters. Most were saying it was due to Disney playing hardball with Fox. That made sense. However, sideshow surprised us by releasing some X-MEN PFs during that time when other companies like XM Studios couldn't. I think they also released their second Doom PF while Misney had actually canceled the FF comic. It was around that time someone asked if sideshow was restricted by Marvel in regards to character selection. Alex posted here and said that there were no character restrictions placed on sideshow by Marvel during that time.

I know this was years ago but we have no reason to doubt her. During the height of the Disney/Fox war, when Disney basically had a blackout on X-MEN and FF characters, sideshow released X-MEN and FF related PFs. This seemed to reinforce what Alex said.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:29 AM   #444
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Oh Marvel restricts character selection but it's across the board, meaning other companies are restricted as well. That's why it's easy to point fingers at SS because while it was very clear that Nightcrawler was off limits to all the statue companies for a period there did not seem to be any such restriction to Storm. Yet SS seemed to go out of their way to do all the same characters that XM was doing, AND MORE, yet here we are still waiting to see her.
Sideshow released the Nightcrawler Comiquette while Disney owned Marvel and Fox owned the X-MEN movie rights. That was another release that surprised many collectors. The Beast comiquette followed shortly after that. Disney had X-MEN and FF related characters being wiped off t-shirts, posters, and coffee mugs all across the world but sideshow kept releasing X-MEN statues when other companies were blocked from doing so. XM studios had a ton of requests for a 1/4 brown Wolverine and Doctor Doom during that time. XM reps said that X-MEN and FF characters were put on hold by Marvel. That didn't stop Sideshow from releasing a brown Wolverine PF or their second Doom PF.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:38 AM   #445
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
For whatever reason SS makes a character or don't, I really hope they make a 1/4 Nightcrawler. As much as I like Storm, he should be done before any repeat X-characters.
Yeah, I'm in dire need of a Nightcrawler PF myself. It's nice to know XM is working on a 1/4 Nightcrawler. Just in case sideshow continues to ignore the character in 1/4 scale.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #446
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
The problem with that is that years ago Alex said that Marvel didn't restrict sideshow when it comes to character selection. This was specifically during the time Fox owned the movie rights to the X-MEN and the FF and Disney bought Marvel. Many collectors here speculated why sideshow wasn't releasing certain characters. Most were saying it was due to Disney playing hardball with Fox. That made sense. However, sideshow surprised us by releasing some X-MEN PFs during that time when other companies like XM Studios couldn't. I think they also released their second Doom PF while Misney had actually canceled the FF comic. It was around that time someone asked if sideshow was restricted by Marvel in regards to character selection. Alex posted here and said that there were no character restrictions placed on sideshow by Marvel during that time.

I know this was years ago but we have no reason to doubt her. During the height of the Disney/Fox war, when Disney basically had a blackout on X-MEN and FF characters, sideshow released X-MEN and FF related PFs. This seemed to reinforce what Alex said.
I don't think they restrict selection, I think they restrict approvals.

Sideshow can bring any character to them for approval and they can deny it or hold it for as long as they like. At the time your talking about other companies were also still producing X-men, wolverine especially, and Doom hasn't been considered completely FF centric for a long time either, but no one was producing the main FF, at all.

Come to think of it...I still haven't seen the Main FF in a long long time.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #447
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post

Could be... my example was from what my brother is currently experiencing with Marvel (not X-men related at all). My post was really a simple example to show that there are other reasons besides a SS decision (posted ad nauseam on this forum), as to why characters aren't getting made. People need to loosen their tinfoil hats sometimes. And, while I have no reason to doubt Alex, she frequently DIDN'T know a lot of answers to questions about goings on behind the scenes at SS. Interesting that she knew this specifically *tightens own tinfoil hat*
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #448
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
It was a shiny white suit!
Doesn't look white to me. I'm pretty sure the intention was to mirror a disco ball.

NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #449
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I don't think they restrict selection, I think they restrict approvals.

Sideshow can bring any character to them for approval and they can deny it or hold it for as long as they like. At the time your talking about other companies were also still producing X-men, wolverine especially, and Doom hasn't been considered completely FF centric for a long time either, but no one was producing the main FF, at all.

Come to think of it...I still haven't seen the Main FF in a long long time.
Ultimately, Marvel can do whatever they want. With XM, they specifically blocked the X-MEN and FF characters. XM reps said that would include characters like Wolverine and Doom. During that same period, Marvel removed all X-MEN and FF characters from posters, t-shirts, mugs, and other merchandise. Yet sideshow didn't have any restrictions at this contentious time placed on them. They released and received approval for multiple X-MEN PFs when other companies were completely blocked from releasing any. I was able to find Alex's response and bumped it in the Ask Sideshow Thread. The response was to a question on XM's character restrictions by Marvel.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #450
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Could be... my example was from what my brother is currently experiencing with Marvel (not X-men related at all). My post was really a simple example to show that there are other reasons besides a SS decision (posted ad nauseam on this forum), as to why characters aren't getting made. People need to loosen their tinfoil hats sometimes. And, while I have no reason to doubt Alex, she frequently DIDN'T know a lot of answers to questions about goings on behind the scenes at SS. Interesting that she knew this specifically *tightens own tinfoil hat*
I'm not trying to dispel anything you say. It just seems like Sideshow has a considerable amount of control over character selection when other companies were given nothing but flat out roadblocks to releasing X-MEN and FF characters during a very hostile war between Disney and Fox at that time. XM was completely shut down while they were already working on these characters. Yet, sideshow never encountered any of those restrictions.

I specifically remember that Marvel wanted to block XM's green Phoenix statue (at that time) after it was already finished. That upset a lot of collectors when that news broke. Luckily, Marvel relented on Phoenix and allowed XM to release her. However, all future X-MEN and FF projects after her were put on immediate hold. For any reason, they could've put a immediate stop on the Storm, White Storm, Wolverine, Doom, Dark Phoenix, variant Green Phoenix, and the variant Sabretooth PFs if they wanted to. They did this to XM and many other companies merchandise. Yet, they didn't do it to sideshow.