Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-23-2019, 12:41 AM   #611
off
The X-Men

Don't recall where I heard/read it but "no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars' fans."

So true.

Lol
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:06 AM   #612
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
Don't recall where I heard/read it but "no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars' fans."

So true.

Lol
because the people who aren't fans don't care what happens to the franchise.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #613
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Yeah but that doesn't mean anything will go how they want it. She gets a ton of blame especially from you here but she's just the producer and she was put in place by George Lucas for a reason. She has to answer to a different beat than the sole person with Star Wars' best interest in mind as it always has been. Clearly Robert Iger thought he was getting a machine that worked like Marvel. A ton of Marvel's best stories have been pillaged to get the results they have along with a 10 year promise of a culmination with Infinity War. Even every machine has to rest regardless of shareholder dividends or stock price and that 1st part you posted is gonna run out of steam.

And to all the people that mention comics, books, and the rest of the EU nonsense remember none of it impressed George Lucas enough to give a damn about even having someone else make *any* of it being into a movie.

George Lucas is the single richest person in all of entertainment so you can trust of all people that even he always knew Star Wars can't answer to any coxswain's beat. It never has and it never will.
Just because Lucas didn't want anyone else making movies about Star Wars at the time doesn't mean he hated the EU, in fact, LucasFilms had to approve all EU stories...

And let's remember it was Kennedy who declared that all EU would not be cannon, not Geroge... It would be like Marvel ignoring all their stories from the last 80 years and then make a bad movie and say "well we didn't have any guidelines or source material to work from", which is what Kennedy said...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #614
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I must say I liked this movie a lot. The end fight was my favorite and hearing Ahsoka (along with other Jedi) talk to Rey was amazing.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #615
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
I put the original star wars on today and my 10 year old found it slow. he could barely watch the whole thing. He liked the new one better. I can't say that the original one holds up. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.
I have to agree cause I can never watch the original 3 again. They just bore the hell out of me.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #616
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think people genuinely wished to go see the movie and enjoy it. Daisy did the absolute most she could with the role without ever coming off like a bimbo. In the end, it just seemed like the wrong people were at the helm who were likely much too overwhelmed and limited creatively. It's like Justin Bieber trying to be Metallica. The best he can do is copy what's been done as opposed to creating engaging solid new ground with traction.

What can Disney do to make Star Wars interesting again? For one, they can rely significantly less on the Jedi to tell stories. The Jedi have never been as uncompelling as they appear now and making them more omnipotent (just because) with every movie seems to only make things worse. I never found myself saying, "Oh wow, Leia flying through space is cool". I actually thought that looked silly. Don't get me started on the sudden ability to transport and teleport and snatch things from far away distances.

Secondly, if the intent is to have a multicultural cast (which is overdue, I agree), at least give the characters some purpose otherwise it comes off as placating. In the end, when a film has more wrong with it than right, it's no longer about the franchise anymore, it's about the current strength of the ideas behind it. The people responsible for that simply need to go or at least get better help.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #617
Vader
Ghost

did anyone read the EU stuff? does it offer great opportunities for development? Can they build on the EU like marvel did with its stories? Or is it all still tied to the skywalker lineage?

I
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #618
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
I wouldn't expect a 10 year old of today to enjoy the OT. Television shows have better special effects these days. That doesn't mean the OT isn't as good as we remember, it simply means it's older. How many people think Bowen sucks because they're not as detailed as Sideshow? How about Kirby being lame because he's not Jim Lee? Are Alfred Hitchcock movies suddenly irrelevant because their special effects are subpar compared to today?

The OT (and even the prequels) and Marvel used the same, very simple formula that the new SW Trilogy lacks; an overarching CONSISTENT storyline among all of the films. "Burn out" or "too much Star Wars" is a BS excuse by apologists. Marvel has proven that you can have 2-3 films a year and do ok, but they need to be good films. The new trilogy just didn't deliver because they failed to plan properly.
Yep. And this was one of my biggest problem - inconsistency. I may never really care to watch 1-3 again, but they were all consistent in the theme, filled in gaps, and developed the story. All without too much fan service, which is my second biggest problem.

There was a happy medium to be found between JJ's homages/rehashing and Rian's spitting in the face of legacy. However, it wasn't found IMO and this is what we are left with. I'm sure in time we will grow to enjoy them in their own way.

We did get great characters in Rey and BB8 and Poe. I enjoyed them all from beginning to end.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #619
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
did anyone read the EU stuff? does it offer great opportunities for development? Can they build on the EU like marvel did with its stories? Or is it all still tied to the skywalker lineage?
They told non-Skywalker stories, but the Timothy Zahn books about Luke, Leia, and Han Solo were very well-received, even by casual readers who don't necessarily consider themselves Star Wars fans.

Back when Disney announced they were going to make new movies, everyone was expecting Mara Jade and the twins. Sadly, Iger, Kennedy, and Abrams (yes, it's partially his fault, too) decided to go with Emo Ren and a genderbent Luke (orphan on a desert planet).

Don't get me wrong, though -- Daisy Ridley was awesome. It's not her fault that the writers sucked.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #620
Y3E
Gen 13

I didn't hate this movie nor did I love it. It was ok. For action movie it was entertaining, but for a Star Wars movie it was so-so. Rey's origin was a surprise and I liked it, but what she and Kylo could do with transporting objects, that was stupid.

I had really hoped Han Solo and Luke were not dead and some how they would have a scene together with Leia, but they only had the siblings. Bah.

4 out 10 lighsabers for me.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote