Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

It's time to touch up older statues... Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Gang,

The time has finally come to get my act together and touch up some of my older pre-2000 statues (and some newer ones, which may have already arrived with paint imperfections). Sadly, the sands of time have begun to show, e.g. a chip here, a chip there, generally along the edges where the statue meets the base or display shelf. In some cases, it appears as if the paint simply began to peel off or wear away. Some of my DC Direct pieces from the mid 90s could certainly use some love. I generally take good care of my statues e.g., away from sunlight, regular dustings, not displayed to close to one another etc.

I'm not looking to repaint the whole statue, or the tougher areas like the face or the costume emblems or any area which clearly needs a pro's hands. We're generally talking about solid colors like reds and blacks, and sometimes the mix of some colors to get the right shading. It seems overkill to hire someone just to touch up millimeter sized imperfections.

So to the ones in-the-know, I ask, what type of paint brush should I use? Since just about every statue seems to use matte paint, I suppose I should go with that. How can I tell the cheap paint from the good, or the good enough?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Over 60 views and not one reply?
What, am I asking you guys to donate a kidney?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

If I knew anything about painting statues beyond my rudimentary "skills" at doing such, I'd give my 2 cents.

Aren't there "ceramic paints", etc? I've simply touched up statues in the past (nothing major), using everything from those to... nail polish. Probably somebody at a hobby store (or even a ceramics store/gallery) or even a gallery could give you the insight you need (though, granted, with the membership here, you shouldn't have to look further than SF for answers).

I realize these weren't the answers you're looking for, but hopefully it kicks some actual painters into gear to help you out.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
kilowog75
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I'm a novice myself but I know a lot of painters here recommend Tamiya paints. You can find them online or at some hobby stores that specialize in model cars, ships, etc... Good luck!
kilowog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

I heard something about Testers brand paint for statues too...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
If I knew anything about painting statues beyond my rudimentary "skills" at doing such, I'd give my 2 cents.

I want more advice just like this.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

It's a tough question to answer. Simply because every project is different. I use Tester's enamels on everything. But I went to a panel at WW Philly a few years ago and the "PRO'S" said it was crap. The truth is that every product has it's own qualities to it. You will get a different finish from the same jar of paint if you brush it on Vs. air-brush it. And Oil enamels have a different texture than laytex acrylic s. And then there is laquers. They will F up your airbrush with the first use, and then you need to clean it completely with laquer thinner. I have even gone through my girlfriends nail polish drawer to get the perfect match for the Bowen Magneto MB, to do a touch up. So my advice is try a few different paints and play with different techniques and solvents to get the desired effect. And if you make a mistake, it can always be redone.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

When it comes to a brush you want a nice soft bristle. But when you brush it over something it has to return to its original shape, even when it's wet. You want something that will have a smooth flow to it. It doesn't have to be expensive. Just pay attention to the effect and texture that it gives.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
rychehitman
Galactus

Good advice for a brush AND a prom date!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

What's your blood type and when do you need the kidney?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote