Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #181
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post

I wonder how many comic shops in dire need are holding on by a thread in hopes of a Jim Lee helping hand. I wonder how many comic shops are in the US.

My LCS had to lay off everyone while waiting for the government subsidy. I e-transferred the owner $500 and said to look at it as credit for future purchases, even though I have zip on pre-order at the moment. The owner is a proud guy but I can tell he needed it.

What's even harder is that LCS owners still have to pay rent while on lockdown. Not a good time for small business owners. I hope these artist sketch funds find their way to owners who need it the most, though I am not sure how this will be determined or how shops will be chosen.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #182
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

My comic shop is actually still open. The have a section that sells microwavable food and microwavable soups and some stuff you would find at a 7/11 type of store (no pizza or wings or hot dogs though). With that, they were declared an essential business. However there hours are limited and you do have to knock on their door to be let in. Fortunately, my LCBS owns the building they are in and they said that they are doing a ton on Ebay business. They are not doing there normal business but they said they are hanging in there better than other businesses are.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #183
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
So awesome! Already at $7,200 and no indication that the Wolverine will be a cover (or did I miss that announcement as well?).

I wonder how many comic shops in dire need are holding on by a thread in hopes of a Jim Lee helping hand. I wonder how many comic shops are in the US.

you, me, ken and tc should pitch in and buy that wolverine so we can ask for a hulk next

looking at that non for profit jim is using it has alot of regular bookstores mostly in it's post not sure how they will shift to comic shops unless they apply/fill out some sort of form to get this money.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #184
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I have 2 LCS that get the lion's share of my local spending. I have known both shops for 20+ years and I see very different approaches. One is EXTREMELY active on social media, offering curbside pickup when they were allowed, promoting online purchases, offering discounts, and continual communications. The other is pretty much radio silence, save an occasional FB post. While I am worried for both, I have to wonder why the older of the two isn't doing more to promote online sales, etc. I have no idea how they will figure out which shops need the aid the most. There are way too many shops out there for each to get a slice of the Jim Lee fundraiser pie. Interesting quandary for sure.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #185
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
you, me, ken and tc should pitch in and buy that wolverine so we can ask for a hulk next
I like where your head is at ... there would be a mad bidding war for the Hulk - I hope that's who he does next. I wouldn't be a buyer at these rates but I would sure have fun watching it play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
looking at that non for profit jim is using it has alot of regular bookstores mostly in it's post not sure how they will shift to comic shops unless they apply/fill out some sort of form to get this money.
Man, I sure hope there is some very heavy factoring when the list of shops is determined. I think the money going to book stores with a few comics would not be in the spirit of what Jim is trying to do. I am sure they are looking at this already and have an idea of the true comic shops in need of making sure exist after the pandemic passes.

I did a couple google searches and it looks like Diamond distributes to somewhere between 2000-2500 stores, of which less are primarily comic shops. Even taking 2000 and using a generous prediction model for the final amount raised, there isn't enough to go around unless Marvel and DC also pony up support (which I would not be surprised to see).

All of this will work itself out - I am just enjoying the ride while these auctions are going. Great stuff!

CAF
Old 04-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #186
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
Great page GeneralZod but this is where collectors differ . That price is great and the detail is superb but ... I have zero connection to anything on that page . Aside from it being Jim Lee. Myself I’d rather have a character I love drawn by Jim hanging on my wall than a random page . Some collectors just wanted a published Jim Lee that’s awesome . I’m very limited in what I could find published of what I love . I took the plunge and the results I’m happy with . It comes down to tough choices , obviously money . My selection had zero to do with investment and everything to do with what I love most .
I've used GeneralZodLives as a screen name since the 1990's. He's my favorite villain, and I'm always on the lookout for art pages or commissions with the character. I wanted Jim Lee art with Zod. I found Jim Lee art with Zod. I bought Jim Lee art with Zod. It's not a random page just so I have Jim Lee art in my collection. I could have bought much cheaper pages if that's all I wanted.

If you found a double-page spread of Submariner fighting the Fantastic Four you'd buy it or want to buy it. The difference between you and I is that I wouldn't have made a post belittling your purchase. I would have congratulated you on finding a piece that you love or I would have just kept scrolling without posting anything. I get what you're saying, but that was a rude way to express it.

Back to these auctions, I really want to see some more Superman characters and villains. I don't blame the guy that's buying most of them for picking a ton of Batman versions if that's what he loves, but I'm looking forward to when he gets it out of his system so we can see more variety. I'd be worried if Jim Lee was only doing a dozen or so of these sketches, but sixty is a lot. Even if thirty of them are Batman, that's still thirty other characters left for Jim Lee to try to get me to spend more money.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #187
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Yeah, I am curious also when the guy's Jim Lee wish list will be fulfilled and we start seeing other characters. Whatever is drawn, I hope bids keep going high, even when the alpha steps back

CAF
Old 04-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #188
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Have to say I am more excited to see what Art Adam does for his pieces. Someone suggest a full size Planet Hulk!!!!!!!

The Jim Lee pieces are great but Art is just incredible
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #189
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Have to say I am more excited to see what Art Adam does for his pieces. Someone suggest a full size Planet Hulk!!!!!!!

The Jim Lee pieces are great but Art is just incredible
I was thinking the same. The DC list is fun to watch but nothing has me trying to figure out if someone needs to buy a kidney. Art Adams - I'd cut it out myself and ice myself up in the bathtub

CAF
Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #190
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalzodlives View Post
Sorry. I should have posted the art. Got distracted at work.

It's Suicide Squad issue 3 pages 2-3. I was looking for some original art with General Zod and had remembered that he was in Suicide Squad for a few issues. Drawn by Jim Lee and inked by Scott Williams with Zod, Harley, Killer Croc, Enchantress, Deadshot, Rick Flag, Captain Boomerang's feet, Katana, and Amanda Waller. I bought the pages from Albert Moy (Jim Lee's art seller) for $2500.
I think this is really cool generalzodlives!

I'd dig deep and pay that for a two page spread of my top characters by Lee and Williams.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote